Our Lady of Mt. Carmel
Just a little trivia: both of the traditional parishes to which we have belonged in the past 10yrs are named after OLMC.  Scipio & I were married 16yrs ago on this date, and our oldest daughter is named Carmen Maria (a very nice coincidence).
(07-16-2010, 08:00 PM)Underdog Wrote: Just a little trivia: both of the traditional parishes to which we have belonged in the past 10yrs are named after OLMC.  Scipio & I were married 16yrs ago on this date, and our oldest daughter is named Carmen Maria (a very nice coincidence).

Happy anniversary!!!!   :cheers:

John and I were married on the Feast of St. Mary Magdalene--coming up. No comment pleaze.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Is the Friday abstinence remitted today due to today's feast?
(07-16-2010, 08:09 PM)randomtradguy Wrote: Is the Friday abstinence remitted today due to today's feast?

I should think not, unless your parish is named for her (first class feast), or else you otherwise go a dispensation from the Bishop.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(07-16-2010, 08:09 PM)randomtradguy Wrote: Is the Friday abstinence remitted today due to today's feast?

According to my Calendar from TAN, it's not remitted. Hope you didn't eat any meat.  ;)
(07-16-2010, 07:04 PM)randomtradguy Wrote:
(07-16-2010, 02:37 PM)ketchum Wrote:
[Image: Untitled1-53.png]

When Eternal Wisdom was playing in the world, forming the hills and establishing the mountains, she destined Carmel to be the special inheritance of Eve's victorious daughter. And when the last thousand years of expectation were opening, and the desire of all nations was developing into the spirit of prophecy, the father of prophets ascended the privileged mount, thence to scan the horizon. The triumphs of David and the glories of Solomon were at an end: the sceptre of Juda, broken by the schism of the ten tribes, threatened to fall from his hand; the worship of Baal prevailed in Israel. A long-continued drought, figure of the aridity of men's souls, had parched up every spring, and men and beasts were dying beside the empty cisterns, when Elias the Thesbite gathered the people, representing the whole human race, on Mount Carmel, and slew the lying prophets of Baal. Then, as the Scripture relates, prostrating with his face to the earth, he said to his servant: Go up, look towards the sea. And he went up, and looked and said: There is nothing. And again he said to him: Return seven times. And at the seventh time: Behold, a little cloud arose out of the sea like a man's foot. [3 Kings 18]

what did the cloud represent? Was It the Holy Ghost?
- THE LITURGICAL YEAR, Dom Gueranger

The Blessed Mother
(07-16-2010, 08:36 PM)Jacafamala Wrote:

I should think not, unless your parish is named for her (first class feast), or else you otherwise go a dispensation from the Bishop.

;D meat today!