Holy Father Says Old Mass Privately Says Bishop Fellay
*Bishop Fellay says the " Holy Father celebrates the old Mass privately" and that an italian Bishop has said he will leave the Church if he does.  He said this in a speech at the 2010 priestly ordinations.*

(Kreuz.net) Pope Benedict XVI. And his secretary George Gaenswein celebrate the old Mass. This is according to the General Superior of the Society of Pius X, Bishop Bernard Fellay, in a speech in the 8th of July in the Brazilian city of Bahia.

You can listen to the speech on the page '4shared.com' under user 'fbmvm'.

http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2010...-says.html
To save me listening does +Fellay say that the Holy Father told him this himself or does it appear more likely that Bishop Fellay is simply repeating the unsubstantiated rumor that has been circling round for years?
I'm wondering that, too.  Bishops are not immune to believing rumors...
Quote:Indeed the Bishop sees also that there are a great number of Prelates in the Curia who are well-disposed to the Society Pius X. In the Cathedral of St. Peter's there are 20 old Masses celebrated daily.

that sounds terrific!
(07-16-2010, 02:24 PM)ketchum Wrote:
Quote:Indeed the Bishop sees also that there are a great number of Prelates in the Curia who are well-disposed to the Society Pius X. In the Cathedral of St. Peter's there are 20 old Masses celebrated daily.

that sounds terrific!

An acquaintance of mine who has been studying in Rome said that at the FSSP's church there, there is a lot of traffic from priests from throughout Rome, coming to say private Masses on their side altars.  They come there so they won't be seen by their peers or superiors, I suppose.
Bishop Fellay is well-informed and careful if that means anything, and if he says it, it sure makes things look good.

I think his impressions of the Holy Father, as being Catholic in his heart.

How much more filial devotion is there here than with other prelates and clergy who hold our Pope in contempt and derision.
(07-16-2010, 02:30 PM)rbjmartin Wrote:

that sounds terrific!

An acquaintance of mine who has been studying in Rome said that at the FSSP's church there, there is a lot of traffic from priests from throughout Rome, coming to say private Masses on their side altars.  They come there so they won't be seen by their peers or superiors, I suppose.

Are they embarrassed or are they not allowed to say Mass?
NB: Said Italian Bishop said he'd leave the church if HF says the Immemorial publicly.
(07-16-2010, 02:50 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: NB: Said Italian Bishop said he'd leave the church if HF says the Immemorial publicly.

Good for him!
(07-16-2010, 02:49 PM)ketchum Wrote:
(07-16-2010, 02:30 PM)rbjmartin Wrote:

that sounds terrific!

Are they embarrassed or are they not allowed to say Mass?

I think as is the case with diocesan priests I've known who are interested in the EF Mass, they realize some clergy who are opposed to the EF will automatically form prejudices against them if they found out they were saying the EF Mass.  Their superiors might even try to make their lives a living hell, as a result.