The restoration of the English monasteries?
Have any pre-Henry VIII monasteries been bought back by the religious orders who were associated with them before the Reformation? I was just reading about Newstead Abbey, a former Augustinian priory which became the house of Lord Byron. It's now public property.
As far I can see, the only pre-Henrician monastery restored to its original purpose is Buckfast Abbey. Actually, the building was destroyed in the 1800's, but the property was occupied by Benedictines as far back as 1018. It was ironically sold in 1882 to Benedictine monks who were exiled from their house in France.

http://www.buckfast.org.uk/

I don't know why more rich Catholics haven't sought to buy back the old properties for monastics.
I wish it would happen... . 
There was a growth in Anglican religious communities in the nineteenth century. It had more to do with Anglo-Catholicism that any concerted effort.
(07-16-2010, 04:04 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: I don't know why more rich Catholics haven't sought to buy back the old properties for monastics.

Perhaps because there aren't enough rich Catholics to purchase them or enough monks to make proper use of them.
Saint Hugh's Charterhouse is occupied and has been for a fair bit now.  It's a Carthusian Charterhouse - in Lincoln, I believe - whose occupants during the Henrician schism were martyred of course.  :pray:

I always wondered why the Catholic church still doesn't have the legal right to ownership of church property taken away illegally by  Henry VIII.  Shouldn't the Catholic church be compensated for what was stolen from us?
And what about Westminster Abbey?  Still ours really.

Here in canada native indians have been given millions in compensation for their original lands taken from them by the whites in the colonial era.
(07-17-2010, 03:49 PM)richness of tradition Wrote: I always wondered why the Catholic church still doesn't have the legal right to ownership of church property taken away illegally by  Henry VIII.   Shouldn't the Catholic church be compensated for what was stolen from us?

Here in canada native indians have been given millions in compensation for their original lands taken from them by the whites in the colonial era.

We're not nearly pitiful enough yet nor are we liberal enough.  Only whiny, lazy modernists get the benefits of modernism - not the enemy of that Satanic movement, which is the Mystical Body of Christ.  What were you thinking?  :laughing:

Seriously though, I'm all with you.  Never gonna happen though, the modernists truly would never allow it as long as they have any say in the matter.
(07-16-2010, 03:48 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Have any pre-Henry VIII monasteries been bought back by the religious orders who were associated with them before the Reformation? I was just reading about Newstead Abbey, a former Augustinian priory which became the house of Lord Byron. It's now public property.

This is not quite what you meant, but I think Churches in Scotland were restored for Catholic use.  One I can think of is Queen St. Margaret of Scotland's chapel, which has images of her for veneration. The Reformation hit Scotland much later and less brutal than England, of course.
(07-17-2010, 03:49 PM)richness of tradition Wrote: I always wondered why the Catholic church still doesn't have the legal right to ownership of church property taken away illegally by  Henry VIII.   Shouldn't the Catholic church be compensated for what was stolen from us?

The English government would probably make the argument that the Churches were always English Crown properties, merely controlled by the Church.  This argument was used in the anti-clerical French Third Republic as well.