(Fr.)Girolamo Savonarola ,Saint in unfair times or Heretic?
[Image: 200px-Girolamo_Savonarola.jpg]

Martyred Saint or Rightly condemned Heretic

Cast your votes :)

Remember,read as much as you can about him before commenting

I personally stand by the pope's decision,even if it was "Bad Pope" Alexander VI
Neither a saint, nor a heretic.

Catholic Encyclopedia Wrote:In the beginning Savonarola was filled with zeal, piety, and self-sacrifice for the regeneration of religious life. He was led to offend against these virtues  by his fanaticism, obstinacy, and disobedience. He was not a heretic in matters of faith. The erection of his statue  at the foot of Luther's  monument at Worms as a reputed "forerunner of the Reformation" is entirely unwarranted. Among his writings mention should be made of: "Triumphus Crucis de fidei veritate" (Florence, 1497), his chief work, an apology  for Christianity; "Compendium revelationum" (Florence, 1495); "Scelta di prediche e scritti", ed. Villari Casanova  (Florence, 1898); "Trattato circa il Reggimento  di Firenze", ed. Rians (Florence, 1848); further letters edited by Marchese  in the "Archivio. storico italiano", App. XIII (1850); poems edited by Rians (Florence, 1847). The "Dialogo della verita" (1497) and fifteen sermons  were placed later on the Index.
The Church twice started to reconsider his case, as it was given for Jean de Arc,  w/o result.

Savonarola almost certainly had good intentions related to the social issues, but probably he went too far.

I hope his case will be reconsidered to his favor soon.

(07-18-2010, 07:13 AM)glgas Wrote: The Church twice started to reconsider his case, as it was given for Jean de Arc,  w/o result.

Savonarola almost certainly had good intentions related to the social issues, but probably he went too far.

I hope his case will be reconsidered to his favor soon.

Well,I think his intentions were righteous,but one can not "Steal" stuff from people that you find "Occasions of Sin".Rather you should show love and preach,that is why the order is called friar preachers.

If his case is re-examined.May he be shown mercy on
Stealing  stuff from people lol
if u want to read a good book about him read savanarola the unarmed prophet
he certainly pissed odd allot of people
the overthrown medicis
the pope who of course was clearly a holy mAn lol and a Medici
read his sermons they r good
Florence sufered at that time one of the first mass revutions that we have allot of information about
savanorala wasn't very smart politicly I'd he was he wouldn't of made the enemies he did the sforza of Milan being of course one and the Medici pope being another he did make friends well allies the king of France but really savanarola was used and when he couldn't be used no more was killed
si
simple really
we know that we he was burning a very weLthy florentine in the crowd exclaimed gleefully
"thank god, now we can have sodomy again"
which was florences notorius sin of the time
ring fimmilar doesn't it?
Savanarola wasn't no prod though luthers grave has a statue of him
and some prods lutherens claim him
anyway read
the unarmed prophet
sip

I like this except the word: unarmed prophet. All the true prophets were unarmed, only the false ones needed arm or official help.

(07-18-2010, 10:21 AM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Stealing  stuff from people lol
the overthrown medicis
Florence sufered at that time one of the first mass revutions that we have allot of information about
savanorala wasn't very smart politicly I'd he was he wouldn't of made the enemies he did the sforza of Milan being of course one and the Medici pope being another he did make friends well allies the king of France but really savanarola was used and when he couldn't be used no more was killed
si
simple really
we know that we he was burning a very weLthy florentine in the crowd exclaimed gleefully
anyway read
the unarmed prophet
sip
(07-18-2010, 11:37 AM)glgas Wrote: I like this except the word: unarmed prophet. All the true prophets were unarmed, only the false ones needed arm or official help.

(07-18-2010, 10:21 AM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Stealing  stuff from people lol
the overthrown medicis
si
simple really
anyway read
the unarmed prophet
sip

Well,The Unarmed Prophet part was referring to the title of the book.It is not to make it unique for his case but to emphesis his use of "No Violence".Moses was a true prophet and he lead God's people to conquest Canna.Many "True Prophets" did use "Arms" .If it is God's will.Haha.
(07-18-2010, 01:11 PM)St.Ambrose Wrote: Well,The Unarmed Prophet part was referring to the title of the book.It is not to make it unique for his case but to emphesis his use of "No Violence".Moses was a true prophet and he lead God's people to conquest Canna.Many "True Prophets" did use "Arms" .If it is God's will.Haha.

As a matter of fact Moses lead no conquest. He prayed for Israel in a few battle. It was Josue after Moses death who conquered Canaan.

correct moses never was permitted to enter the promised land. he was allowed to view it though
(07-18-2010, 08:13 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: correct moses never was permitted to enter the promised land. he was allowed to view it though

AH,RIGHT! LOL.Sorry,haha.can't believe i made such a blunder.well,it is me.So i can believe it lol