Catechesis Question
You bring up good points, Credo. He's still definitely going to teach CCD (actually, I know it isn't called CCD at his parish, but I don't know what it's called. They don't have a parish school, so I guess it's just "religious education"). I don't think he has a choice but to provide additional resources for the class, though. The weekly reading material is about 4 pages long each week, and the classes are 90 minutes long. He's going to have to fill the time somehow, so adding supplementary material won't seem subversive.

I rather wish he had gotten involved with starting a youth group at his parish, but the DRE approached him about teaching the 6th graders.

(07-18-2010, 06:53 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: your husband

I wish! We're not married (yet). We'll have to save a ton of money before we can get married, though.  :(
It's interesting to see all these perspectives.

Mine comes from having had my kids in PSR for a few years, having taught 6-th grade PSR for a few years, and deciding to teach my kids myself using the Baltimore Catechism No. 1 (they were in 3rd- and 4th-grade when I started), then taking them into No. 2. My daughter just got Confirmed this past Spring in 6th-grade by the Bishop. Even so, my plan is to continue their instruction as long as they live with us.

I hear the frustration expressed by others in dealing with PSR. They raise valid concerns. Even so, if your boyfriend feels called to do this, and he has some knowledge and skills to bring to this effort, I say why not try to make a difference?

The books I recommended have great questions and explanatory text (with a few exceptions, as I noted), but I do recommend veering away from No. 3, as I think that would be too advanced for PSR kids in the 6th-grade.

No. 2 may be too advanced, to be honest, given many PSR students' lack of understanding of the Faith, even in the 6th-grade.

I have no ideas for other materials to use. I know PSR directors like to "fill up" those 90 minutes, but to be honest, a well-educated catechist can bang out a lesson with kids in under an hour, maybe even in 30-45 minutes. Perhaps using the remaining time in spiritual exercises, like those described in those catechisms, or even praying the Rosary together could "fill up" that time too.

Anyway, that's my $.02.
JP