Health benefits of hydrogen peroxide ingestation...
Friend of mine gave me a copy of "One Minute Cure" which details methods for creating a solution of (FOOD GRADE ONLY) hydrogen peroxide in a distilled water suspension, which supposedly reoxygenates cells and helps with all sorts of ailments.
Surprisingly the science behind the whole thing actually appears reasonably sound, and I will check on copyright details to see how much I can reproduce here of the book for those who are interested.
But has anybody else tried this, over a prolonged and extended time period, and if so what have you to report?
I haven't tried it but I have heard of food grade hydrogen peroxide having great health benefits. I had forgotten to look into it more, thanks for the reminder!
Cells in the body actually produce enzymes like catalase, glutathione peroxidase and peroxiredoxins to break down hydrogen peroxide and prevent it from causing oxidative damage to cell membranes.  Mice genetically engineered to produce catalase in their mitochondria show significantly extended maximum lifespans, and peroxiredoxin 1 knockout mice show accelerated aging.
I didn't know there was such thing as food grade hydrogen peroxide. What is it normally used for? Is there any links to how safe or effective this is?
Do not fall for magical thinking. I could not find any real benefits of hydrogen peroxide but found some risks.

You'd be better of eliminating harmful substances in your body instead of finding a quick "cure".
Hydrogen peroxide isn't going to help provide oxygen to cells. As a matter of fact, when present in the bloodstream it can react with hemoglobin and lead to a higher oxidation state of iron.  This higher oxidation state interferes with Hb redox cycling and prevents iron from binding to oxygen and prevents hemoglobin from carrying oxygen from the lungs through the blood to cells. H2O2 also reacts with iron to produce the hydroxyl radical, which can further lead to oxidative damage to cells, aside from the destructive oxidation potential of H2O2 itself, and its ability to lead directly to cell death and necrosis.  There's a reason why the body produces a variety of enzymes to break down H202, and there's a reason why it burns and turns your fingertips white. Its utility in cells is mostly limited to the signalling responses it leads to.

If ingested H202 had any potential benefit, it would probably be limited to a hypothetical hormetic effect only ... in other words, the possibility that the intermittent presence of a tiny amount of extra poison in some cases leads to an upregulation of defenses against the poison.
(07-23-2010, 08:49 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: I could not find any real benefits of hydrogen peroxide but found some risks.

How long did you spend on your google search?
(07-24-2010, 01:39 AM)unknown Wrote: Hydrogen peroxide isn't going to help provide oxygen to cells. As a matter of fact, when present in the bloodstream it can react with hemoglobin and lead to a higher oxidation state of iron.  This higher oxidation state interferes with Hb redox cycling and prevents iron from binding to oxygen and prevents hemoglobin from carrying oxygen from the lungs through the blood to cells. H2O2 also reacts with iron to produce the hydroxyl radical, which can further lead to oxidative damage to cells, aside from the destructive oxidation potential of H2O2 itself, and its ability to lead directly to cell death and necrosis.  There's a reason why the body produces a variety of enzymes to break down H202, and there's a reason why it burns and turns your fingertips white. Its utility in cells is mostly limited to the signalling responses it leads to.

If ingested H202 had any potential benefit, it would probably be limited to a hypothetical hormetic effect only ... in other words, the possibility that the intermittent presence of a tiny amount of extra poison in some cases leads to an upregulation of defenses against the poison.

this is covered and refuted in the book. Also, I believe the research of Dr William Campbell Douglass MD, Dr David G Williams, and Edward H Goodman MD are worth looking into.
A pretty decent article can be found in the Journal of the American Medical Association, March 4 1988, Vol. 259 No. 9, page 1279 and March 3 1988, Volume X No. 9, pp262-265.

As I mentioned, the scientific argument behind this is pretty sound, however my copy of the book is a password protected .pdf and I don't seem to be able to copy and paste text from the .pdf, so I will see what I can do about getting some of that information onto here...

(07-24-2010, 03:26 AM)Arun Wrote:
(07-24-2010, 01:39 AM)unknown Wrote: Hydrogen peroxide isn't going to help provide oxygen to cells. As a matter of fact, when present in the bloodstream it can react with hemoglobin and lead to a higher oxidation state of iron.  This higher oxidation state interferes with Hb redox cycling and prevents iron from binding to oxygen and prevents hemoglobin from carrying oxygen from the lungs through the blood to cells. H2O2 also reacts with iron to produce the hydroxyl radical, which can further lead to oxidative damage to cells, aside from the destructive oxidation potential of H2O2 itself, and its ability to lead directly to cell death and necrosis.  There's a reason why the body produces a variety of enzymes to break down H202, and there's a reason why it burns and turns your fingertips white. Its utility in cells is mostly limited to the signalling responses it leads to.

this is covered and refuted in the book.

Oh.
Quote:
Also, I believe the research of Dr William Campbell Douglass MD, Dr David G Williams, and Edward H Goodman MD are worth looking into.
A pretty decent article can be found in the Journal of the American Medical Association, March 4 1988, Vol. 259 No. 9, page 1279 and March 3 1988, Volume X No. 9, pp262-265.

Really?  There doesn't appear to be an article listed in the JAMA index including page 1279 in Vol. 259, No.9.
http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/vol259/.../index.dtl

And volume X No. 9  pages 262-265 is an article from the year 1888!   No, not 1988 as it says in your citation, 1888!

Here it is, your "pretty decent" article from one hundred twenty-two years ago:
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/summary/X/9/262

Quote:As I mentioned, the scientific argument behind this is pretty sound, however my copy of the book is a password protected .pdf and I don't seem to be able to copy and paste text from the .pdf, so I will see what I can do about getting some of that information onto here...

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/P...108701.htm
(07-24-2010, 03:26 AM)Arun Wrote: this is covered and refuted in the book.

Find other sources first.

One can find a single, compelling and seemingly solid book supporting anything.