Health benefits of hydrogen peroxide ingestation...
(07-24-2010, 03:09 AM)Arun Wrote:
(07-23-2010, 08:49 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: I could not find any real benefits of hydrogen peroxide but found some risks.

How long did you spend on your google search?

0.52 seconds

Even if the claims are 100% true, what would the benefit of reoxygenating cells? Oxygen causes us great harm and our body is already designed to use it and protect against its harmful effects. What is the benefit of distilled water? You'd be better off find some natural water untainted by pollution. It would have the minerals we can use and it would have substances to boost our immune system. A small amount of a substance in amounts not likely to cause harm, coupled with claims about its benefits are quite common. In fact, an entire system is based on this. It relies more on the mind, than an actual biological effect.

Were there double blind studies to see what the effects were? Were the effects beneficial? Were they consistent?

Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizing agent, otherwise known as bleach.  It does the same thing as the Clorox in you laundry room.  It destroys organic material.  In fact concentrated H2O2 put on wood or paper will start a fire.  Ask me how I know.  ;D

H2O2 is better than clorox as its byproduct is water.

H2O2 has very good health benefits in washing out your mouth, flushing out your ears, and gargling.  If you have a sore throat, try gargling with it.  It will oxidize (kill) the germs swarming in your throat.  Also, if you get headaches a lot, try flossing first, then washing out your mouth with peroxide.  It will kill all the germs living in between your teeth and in your gum pockets.  A lot of headaches come from teeth infections.  However, your skin and gums is coated with pretty inert dead cells, so the peroxide will burn out the germs before it harms you.  Of course if you hold it in your mouth for a long time, it will eventually oxidize away your protective layer.  20 seconds is fine.

I would not swallow it.  You stomach can probably take it well, as it is protected against acids.  However it will probably burn your esophagus.  H2O2 is also not naturally found in nature, so I doubt your body can incorporate it, though peroxides are manufactured by your body, esp. in white blood cells.

If the standard peroxide in the brown body is too strong, try cutting it 50/50.  Works great for sore throats, healthy gums, and cleaning out your ears.
(07-24-2010, 09:11 PM)James02 Wrote: H2O2 has very good health benefits in washing out your mouth, flushing out your ears, and gargling.  If you have a sore throat, try gargling with it.  It will oxidize (kill) the germs swarming in your throat.  Also, if you get headaches a lot, try flossing first, then washing out your mouth with peroxide.  It will kill all the germs living in between your teeth and in your gum pockets.  A lot of headaches come from teeth infections.  However, your skin and gums is coated with pretty inert dead cells, so the peroxide will burn out the germs before it harms you.  Of course if you hold it in your mouth for a long time, it will eventually oxidize away your protective layer.  20 seconds is fine.

If the standard peroxide in the brown body is too strong, try cutting it 50/50.  Works great for sore throats, healthy gums, and cleaning out your ears.

I wear ear plugs nearly all day at work, and I have found hydrogen peroxide to be the best and easiest way to keep my ears clean.
I started use Arm & Hammer toothpaste with baking soda and peroxide and my dental visits have gone better.  Peroxide is also good for cleaning cuts and earwax removal.  Beyond that, it sounds iffy to me.
(07-24-2010, 06:27 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: Find other sources first.

Good thing these aren't sources, then, eh Herr?

(07-24-2010, 03:26 AM)Arun Wrote: the research of Dr William Campbell Douglass MD, Dr David G Williams, and Edward H Goodman MD are worth looking into.
A pretty decent article can be found in the Journal of the American Medical Association, March 4 1988, Vol. 259 No. 9, page 1279 and March 3 1988, Volume X No. 9, pp262-265.
(07-24-2010, 02:39 PM)unknown Wrote:
(07-24-2010, 03:26 AM)Arun Wrote:
(07-24-2010, 01:39 AM)unknown Wrote: Hydrogen peroxide isn't going to help provide oxygen to cells. As a matter of fact, when present in the bloodstream it can react with hemoglobin and lead to a higher oxidation state of iron.  This higher oxidation state interferes with Hb redox cycling and prevents iron from binding to oxygen and prevents hemoglobin from carrying oxygen from the lungs through the blood to cells. H2O2 also reacts with iron to produce the hydroxyl radical, which can further lead to oxidative damage to cells, aside from the destructive oxidation potential of H2O2 itself, and its ability to lead directly to cell death and necrosis.  There's a reason why the body produces a variety of enzymes to break down H202, and there's a reason why it burns and turns your fingertips white. Its utility in cells is mostly limited to the signalling responses it leads to.

If ingested H202 had any potential benefit, it would probably be limited to a hypothetical hormetic effect only ... in other words, the possibility that the intermittent presence of a tiny amount of extra poison in some cases leads to an upregulation of defenses against the poison.

this is covered and refuted in the book.

Oh.
Quote:
Also, I believe the research of Dr William Campbell Douglass MD, Dr David G Williams, and Edward H Goodman MD are worth looking into.
A pretty decent article can be found in the Journal of the American Medical Association, March 4 1988, Vol. 259 No. 9, page 1279 and March 3 1988, Volume X No. 9, pp262-265.

Really?  There doesn't appear to be an article listed in the JAMA index including page 1279 in Vol. 259, No.9.
http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/vol259/.../index.dtl

And volume X No. 9  pages 262-265 is an article from the year 1888!   No, not 1988 as it says in your citation, 1888!

Here it is, your "pretty decent" article from one hundred twenty-two years ago:
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/summary/X/9/262

Quote:As I mentioned, the scientific argument behind this is pretty sound, however my copy of the book is a password protected .pdf and I don't seem to be able to copy and paste text from the .pdf, so I will see what I can do about getting some of that information onto here...

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/P...108701.htm

Those are the sources listed on the articles I have. As mentioned, listing the exact scientific basis of this is going to be a pain in my a$$ as I have to physically type it all out, I can't copy and paste anything.
But I'll get to it; please be ready with your objective scientific refutals...

AS far as the toxicity and corrosive aspects of hydrogen peroxide, we are talking about a suspension of a few drops of 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide in a large glass of water. At this level there is no corrosive or toxic aspect to it. Ask yourself this; if you drank 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide, what would happen? Does it happen to any of the millions of people who ingest this suspension? Why not?

And I notice not a single person, yay-sayer or nay-sayer, has ever tried this, which is what my original post was asking...
(07-25-2010, 01:16 AM)Arun Wrote: AS far as the toxicity and corrosive aspects of hydrogen peroxide, we are talking about a suspension of a few drops of 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide in a large glass of water. At this level there is no corrosive or toxic aspect to it. Ask yourself this; if you drank 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide, what would happen? Does it happen to any of the millions of people who ingest this suspension? Why not?
It probably doesn't do anything of value. It is too little. Hydrogen peroxide is hydrogen peroxide. It will, in the body, just be broken down (as opposed to being toxic, which it would be in higher amounts). There is no benefit to this.

Quote:And I notice not a single person, yay-sayer or nay-sayer, has ever tried this, which is what my original post was asking...
Well, I'm sure many here have happened to have had a drink which contained trace amounts of hydrogen peroxide. The solution is much lower than 35%. It is probably not even 1% when it is ingested.

It seems the rage now to consume trace amounts of things (which is normally safe) in an attempt to get some magical property out of it. One is better of using the hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash and spitting it out. Surely some of it would be ingested and at least it will help with oral hygiene.
(07-25-2010, 01:41 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: It seems the rage now to consume trace amounts of things (which is normally safe) in an attempt to get some magical property out of it. One is better of using the hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash and spitting it out. Surely some of it would be ingested and at least it will help with oral hygiene.

Some of the information and research on the medicinal and therapeutic value of hydrogen peroxide dates back to the late 1800s, and substantial scientific research began in the 1920s.
I would hardly call this a fad, why do you?
Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2008 Nov;46(9):815-8.

Cerebral air gas embolism from concentrated hydrogen peroxide ingestion.

Rider SP, Jackson SB, Rusyniak DE.

University of Tennessee Medical Center, Knoxville Neurology Clinic, Knoxville, Tennessee 37920, USA.

INTRODUCTION: Ingestion of a small amount of concentrated hydrogen peroxide can cause cerebral air gas embolism (CAGE). Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) is the standard of care in the treatment of CAGE. We report a case of CAGE after accidental ingestion of 33%hydrogen peroxide treated with HBOT resulting in reversal of both the clinical and radiologic abnormalities. CASE REPORT: A 48 year-old male took two sips of 33% hydrogen peroxide. A short time later, he developed hematemesis, left sided hemiplegia, confusion, and left homonymous hemianopsia. Initial laboratory studies, chest x-ray, and brain CT were normal. MRI demonstrated areas of restricted diffusion and T2 hyper intensities in multiple vascular territories consistent with ischemia due to CAGE. Eighteen hours after arrival, the patient underwent HBOT at 3 atmospheres absolute (ATA) for 30 minutes and 2.5 ATA for 60 minutes with clinical improvement. Follow-up MRI at six months demonstrated resolution of the hyper intensities. DISCUSSION: A search of MEDLINE from 1950 to present revealed only two cases of CAGE from ingestion of concentrated hydrogen peroxide treated with HBOT. Both cases, similar to ours, had complete resolution of symptoms. Of the seven reported cases of CAGE from hydrogen peroxide that did not undergo HBOT, only in one patient was there a report of symptom resolution. CONCLUSION: Ingestion of even a small amount of concentrated hydrogen peroxide can result in cerebral air gas embolism. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy may be of benefit in reversing the symptoms and preventing permanent neurological impairment.

PMID: 18608295 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Oncology (Williston Park). 2009 Nov 30;23(13):1182.

Oxygen therapies.

Cassileth B.

Integrative Medicine, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, USA.

Oxygen therapies are unproven alternatives promoted as a cure for cancer, acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), and other degenerative diseases. These "therapies" are offered at clinics in Mexico, the United States, and Europe. Proponents claim that many diseases, including cancer, are caused by oxygen deficiency and that oxygenation can restore health by destroying cancer cells, eliminating pathogens, stimulating metabolism, and by producing "oxidative detoxification." There is no scientific evidence to support any of these claims. Oxygen therapies include: (1) hydrogen peroxide therapy involving intravenous infusion, ingestion, colonic administration, or soaking in hydrogen peroxide solution; (2) ozone colonies and ozone autohemotherapy, in which blood is withdrawn and treated with ozone before reinfusion, and (3) "oxygenated" water, pills, and solutions. The use of oxygen therapies has resulted in serious adverse events and several deaths. Oxygen therapies should not be confused with those commonly used in respiratory care.

PMID: 20043470 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
(07-25-2010, 11:45 AM)unknown Wrote: Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2008 Nov;46(9):815-8.

Cerebral air gas embolism from concentrated hydrogen peroxide ingestion.

Rider SP, Jackson SB, Rusyniak DE.

University of Tennessee Medical Center, Knoxville Neurology Clinic, Knoxville, Tennessee 37920, USA.

INTRODUCTION: Ingestion of a small amount of concentrated hydrogen peroxide can cause cerebral air gas embolism (CAGE). Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) is the standard of care in the treatment of CAGE. We report a case of CAGE after accidental ingestion of 33%hydrogen peroxide treated with HBOT resulting in reversal of both the clinical and radiologic abnormalities. CASE REPORT: A 48 year-old male took two sips of 33% hydrogen peroxide. A short time later, he developed hematemesis, left sided hemiplegia, confusion, and left homonymous hemianopsia. Initial laboratory studies, chest x-ray, and brain CT were normal. MRI demonstrated areas of restricted diffusion and T2 hyper intensities in multiple vascular territories consistent with ischemia due to CAGE. Eighteen hours after arrival, the patient underwent HBOT at 3 atmospheres absolute (ATA) for 30 minutes and 2.5 ATA for 60 minutes with clinical improvement. Follow-up MRI at six months demonstrated resolution of the hyper intensities. DISCUSSION: A search of MEDLINE from 1950 to present revealed only two cases of CAGE from ingestion of concentrated hydrogen peroxide treated with HBOT. Both cases, similar to ours, had complete resolution of symptoms. Of the seven reported cases of CAGE from hydrogen peroxide that did not undergo HBOT, only in one patient was there a report of symptom resolution. CONCLUSION: Ingestion of even a small amount of concentrated hydrogen peroxide can result in cerebral air gas embolism. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy may be of benefit in reversing the symptoms and preventing permanent neurological impairment.

PMID: 18608295 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Oncology (Williston Park). 2009 Nov 30;23(13):1182.

As I previously mentioned, one does not consume concentrated hydrogen peroxide, but a suspension containin a very small amount.