Encouraging women to veil
(07-23-2010, 11:53 PM)JesusFreak84 Wrote: I'm notoriously ADD, but I found, besides everything mentioned above, on the FE page on veiling, and everything else out there on the net, that I just FOCUS better, NO or TLM.  I know the mantilla and hand missal have gotten me labeled as "holier than thou" by just about everyone except my closest friends, but I find both are aids to me paying better attention.  As soon as that veil goes on my head and my hand has the missal, it seems to "signal" to my brain, "OK, this is a different time than the normal.  This is a time to pay attention," and etc.
I'm rather ADD too, and I've found that the format/formality/reverence/etc. of the Mass really make concentrating easier. Another one of the niceties of the TLM is that the use of a missal is normal, and such aids to concentration can really help a lot as well. 

Guys don't dress all that different (aside from just plain formal and "dressed up") but I know that the association to what you're wearing can make a difference.  Sort of like how your just don't feel as motivated to get stuff done and can feel a little more tired as soon as you change for bed.  I've heard recommendations for people who work from home some of the time to get dressed like they are going to the office to get into that frame of mind.
Could it be that traditional women today choose veils not to make a statement, but because it's simply easier to wear a veil than a hat today?  There aren't exactly a lot of hat stores around, and a black veil probably goes with everything, while hats would have to be matched with clothes.  Women who've never worn a hat before might find that daunting, not to mention expensive.

Whatever the reason, I don't think there's anything wrong with forming new traditions.  Once the old ones have been lost (or buried intentionally), I don't think people should be criticized if they select traditions from other places or times rather than digging up the most recently lost ones from their own location.
(07-24-2010, 06:58 PM)Mhoram Wrote: Could it be that traditional women today choose veils not to make a statement, but because it's simply easier to wear a veil than a hat today? 

Could be. If Canon Law made it mandatory to wear a headcovering today I can't imagine women going back to wearing hats (although anything can make a comeback, I guess). I'm sure wearing veils are both a statement AND easier to wear. I didn't mean the remark to be a swipe. It was the OP who "encouraged women to veil" - there are many threads like this. But I've rarely seen encouragement to use other forms of head covering, like scarves, for example. I just wanted to point out that veils are not  a "tradition" in every culture. When you see them in America today they are identified with traditionalism (note I left off the "neo" this time). That's all. 
veiling is making a comeback in Spain - as a fashion statement -  ;D

here's a video that demonstrates the different types of veils a woman would have traditionally worn during Holy Week -

Good Friday the woman even covers her hair to the hairline - and on Easter Sunday the veil is white.

pretty cool - just realize that in this video there's nothing trad below the neck.... :laughing:

thought some of you might think this was interesting -

:)

(07-24-2010, 07:55 PM)libby Wrote: pretty cool - just realize that in this video there's nothing trad below the neck.... :laughing:

I don't know...it all looks trad to me...except that guys scarf.... :o
If there were four ladies like that in every Tridentine mass I bet the attendance figures for males aged 15 to 35 would shoot up.

Veiled or not.
no kidding