Communion antiphon at NO?
I'm curious - what's the traditional view on the communion antiphon? I've haven't been to the TLM long enough to distinguish it in Latin, but there's a guy at our NO parish who likes to be the only one to say it. I know other parishes where everyone in the congregation says it, and I've also read that the priest should say it, not the congregation (let alone a lone person in the congregation). So what would you think if you (happen to) go to a NO Mass and you hear one person in the congregation read the communion antiphon from their pew?
That's odd if he just recites it rather than sings. If it's just to be recited, then the celebrant should do it before receiving Communion. In the Tridentine form, he recites it at the end of the ablutions (the purifying of the vessels), right before the Post-Communion prayer.

The Communion antiphon should ideally be sung in Gregorian chant by a full schola, but one cantor can do it. This, of course, almost never happens in practice, but I do it every Sunday, alternating repetitions of the antiphon with a psalm until the ablutions is done; so the singing may last as long as 10 minutes. This can be done in either the Tridentine sung Mass or the Novus Ordo.
Generally the Communion Antiphon should be chanted, and I would add chanted by the congregation. As The_Harlequin_King said though, this rarely ever happens. Be happy if you hear the Antiphon said at all during a Sunday Mass according to the revised book. It is usually replaced by a hymn on those days.

The placement of the Communion Antiphon before Communion is one of the happy reforms seen in the revised Missal.
Quote:So what would you think if you (happen to) go to a NO Mass and you hear one person in the congregation read the communion antiphon from their pew?

I would think, "What am I doing at this bizarre ritual? How did I get here? Why can't I remember my name, and where did all these Methodists come from??"
(07-22-2010, 07:10 PM)charlesh Wrote:
Quote:So what would you think if you (happen to) go to a NO Mass and you hear one person in the congregation read the communion antiphon from their pew?

I would think, "What am I doing at this bizarre ritual? How did I get here? Why can't I remember my name, and where did all these Methodists come from??"

+1 al burro
(07-22-2010, 07:10 PM)charlesh Wrote: I would think, "What am I doing at this bizarre ritual? How did I get here? Why can't I remember my name, and where did all these Methodists come from??"

Jesus Christ presence is real there. And no one authorized you to criticize it.

In the fifties in the so called Missa Recitate many times the lector alone read the propers, including the communion verse. Do you really think that it was methodist practice, or simply your ignorance is working for the Adversary, to serve the hatred against the real presence of Jesus Christ in both form?