How to address a Muslimah
My very good friend's sister is a convert from Catholic to Muslim. If you're in the South you know that makes her almost family. When she comes to the house I hide the alcohol and the pork. Why? What other example could I give of Christian charity? In my heart of hearts I'd like to say, "You Christ-denying piece of crap" but what good would that do? It's about the exact opposite of what I'm commanded to do by Jesus Christ. If I'm to show an example of Christian charity I can't act how I want, I can only do what God commands. What do you do when God doesn't ask for your blood, instead he asks you to lay down your sense of pride?
Argh, horrid....i don't blame you for that "Christ-denying piece of crap" thought that you have at all. I know that without God's grace we would all fall into mortal sin in a hurry but I cannot believe how one can know the Catholic Church and then become of all things, a muslim. The only thing worse will be a satanist.

I would personally leave the pork and alcohol lying around, really. Its YOUR house. Who cares about what she thinks? Will she remove her prayer mat or remember to cook fish on fridays when you visit her house? I don't expect any muslim to be shocked at pork loin thawing in my sink when they visit, and I live in South-East Asia.

I suggest trying to talk about religion and Catholicism if possible.

There is no sense of pride involved here. We have the true faith, and she is not going to save her soul at all unless she returns to the Catholic faith. We have every right to be proud of our faith, indignant when it comes to error and worried for her salvation even as we remain charitable.
I would cook a barbecue pig dinner with Sam Adams and shots of whiskey.

(07-24-2010, 03:26 AM)karyn_anne Wrote: Argh, horrid....i don't blame you for that "Christ-denying piece of crap" thought that you have at all. I know that without God's grace we would all fall into mortal sin in a hurry but I cannot believe how one can know the Catholic Church and then become of all things, a muslim. The only thing worse will be a satanist.

I would personally leave the pork and alcohol lying around, really. Its YOUR house. Who cares about what she thinks? Will she remove her prayer mat or remember to cook fish on fridays when you visit her house? I don't expect any muslim to be shocked at pork loin thawing in my sink when they visit, and I live in South-East Asia.

There is no sense of pride involved here. We have the true faith, and she is not going to save her soul at all unless she returns to the Catholic faith. We have every right to be proud of our faith, indignant when it comes to error and worried for her salvation even as we remain charitable.

This is a great post.

Hiding the pork and the grog is going a bit far, I'm sure that if she's a reasonable women she wouldn't expect that of you.
I'd cut her off even if she were my dad...and no way I'd hide any of my stuff.  Christ does not ask you to shrink in the face of evil and falsehood.

You are not asked to hid the truth from them you are asked to give them the light...can't do that and shrink...you need to learn what true charity is....what you are doing has no resemblence to Charity...it does resemble scrupulousity.

I'd cook some scapple for her...works every time.
(07-24-2010, 05:25 AM)Petertherock Wrote: I would cook a barbecue pig dinner with Sam Adams and shots of whiskey.

Do you really think this is what Jesus would do?
(07-24-2010, 05:41 AM)glgas Wrote:
(07-24-2010, 05:25 AM)Petertherock Wrote: I would cook a barbecue pig dinner with Sam Adams and shots of whiskey.

No...I tol;d you already....he'd cook scrapple.
kimbaichan Wrote:My very good friend's sister is a convert from Catholic to Muslim. If you're in the South you know that makes her almost family. When she comes to the house I hide the alcohol and the pork. Why? What other example could I give of Christian charity? In my heart of hearts I'd like to say, "You Christ-denying piece of crap" but what good would that do? It's about the exact opposite of what I'm commanded to do by Jesus Christ. If I'm to show an example of Christian charity I can't act how I want, I can only do what God commands. What do you do when God doesn't ask for your blood, instead he asks you to lay down your sense of pride?

and

karyn_anne Wrote:Argh, horrid....i don't blame you for that "Christ-denying piece of crap" thought that you have at all. I know that without God's grace we would all fall into mortal sin in a hurry but I cannot believe how one can know the Catholic Church and then become of all things, a muslim. The only thing worse will be a satanist.

Ah, proselytizing religions have the most amusing internet threads.

How about this, how about you treat her with respect and dignity as a sister in humanity, and if the Holy Spirit puts it on her heart to talk with you about Christianity she will?
(07-24-2010, 06:23 AM)Credo Wrote: How about this, how about you treat her with respect and dignity as a sister in humanity, and if the Holy Spirit puts it on her heart to talk with you about Christianity she will?

We do talk about Christianity when she's here, she knows a lot about the faith and was very devout. I'd never hide Our Lady of Ollignies or the Sacred Heart which are prominently displayed in the living room so it comes up frequently. Really I don't eat pork that often and it's a matter of putting the liquor bottles in a high cabinet and transferring the bacon to the fridge in the garage. I'd rather accommodate in small matters, so the truly important things remain important.  I've even bought kosher meat before (it's the closest thing I can get to halal around here) How else could I prove that her soul matters to me more than breakfast meat? Internally it's offensive to me that she denied the true faith for something, IMO, as disgusting as islam but I treat the external things with as much respect as I can.

(07-24-2010, 05:41 AM)glgas Wrote:

Well, Jesus told Peter to eat of an unclean animal even after Peter protested.