Pro-Life Freedom Rides
http://www.priestsforlife.org/action/pro...-rides.htm

Anyone heard about what's happening, starting this week, in Atlanta and Birmingham? Priests for Life is behind the Pro-Life Freedom Rides, and Dr. Alveda King, niece of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., as well as Fr. Frank Pavone and others involved in the movement on a national level, are leading the effort. Of course, they've gotten some counter-protesters, but that's par for the course.

So what do you think about this new technique to bring awareness to what abortion really is? What kind of successes or failures do you think might occur because of piggy-backing off of the Civil Rights movement? Unlike the Civil Rights movement, this seems to be predominantly Catholic, although there are obviously Protestant groups and secular groups involved as well.

Also, I've personally found that if I can get someone to genuinely understand the pro-life mentality of respect for the human dignity of every single person, they are more able to understand other teachings of the Catholic Church. Being a pro-life activist was the gateway that led me back to becoming a faithful, practicing Catholic again.

As a side note, I had the pleasure of meeting Alveda King last winter. She is a lovely person, and so, so dedicated to the pro-life movement. She has the ability to make a huge difference in building a culture of life in the U.S.
Anything we do to bring attention to the Pro Life cause is good. I've always believed, however, that in order to change public opinion about abortion we are going to need a leader with the charisma of a Martin Luther King Jr. God bless Fr. Pavone for all that he does, he's going to have a very high place in heaven, but I just don't think he's the one. I think that leader might have to be a woman for obvious reasons. Maybe it will be Alveda King herself. Freedom rides will help as much as protest marches and sidewalk counseling. Prayer is essential. So now when I pray for an end to abortion I pray that God will raise up another Moses. We can change public opinion as sure as we did with slavery. The Pro Life cause needs a leader who will set the world on fire. 
Here in Colorado we have a personhood amendment #62 on the ballot. The bishops are officially 'neutral' in the face of the great evil of abortion. But we MUST put out the truth of the personhood of the unborn constantly.  And if it is defeated, we bring it back again and again and again.  This technique has worked perfectly for the gay agenda such that even marriage is being redefined and the attitude of the country changed.

My pastor just agreed to stand behind this as a number of Catholic churches in the archdiocese have done but the protestants are way ahead of us.

http://www.personhoodcolorado.com/

The Declaration of Independence begins:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

We must first have LIFE before we can have liberty and happiness. The "right to life" is right there! I don't see how the pro-aborts can get away with ignoring it, but somehow they do. They oppose the very principles on which this country was founded. They are ungodly and un-American. 

(07-24-2010, 04:48 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Anything we do to bring attention to the Pro Life cause is good. I've always believed, however, that in order to change public opinion about abortion we are going to need a leader with the charisma of a Martin Luther King Jr. God bless Fr. Pavone for all that he does, he's going to have a very high place in heaven, but I just don't think he's the one. I think that leader might have to be a woman for obvious reasons. Maybe it will be Alveda King herself. Freedom rides will help as much as protest marches and sidewalk counseling. Prayer is essential. So now when I pray for an end to abortion I pray that God will raise up another Moses. We can change public opinion as sure as we did with slavery. The Pro Life cause needs a leader who will set the world on fire.   

i agree, lisa.  we need someone who has the charisma of MLK and i don't think it can be a man.  actress patricia heaton's involvement with feminists for life is a positive influence but the pro-abortion zealots condemn her because she's Catholic, and probably because she's pretty, as they condemn sarah palin.  both patricia and sarah have several children and they're women so the pro-abortion forces have to find something else to condemn them for.  we really need a black female liberal Democratic atheist to take away all the usual 'oh, a man/conservative/Republican/Christian would be 'anti-choice' arguments.'  there are pro-life Democrats, pro-life liberals, and pro-life atheists

Dr. Alveda King might just be the woman to be the head of the pro-life movement.  She's black and female and she had two abortions, one performed by a doctor without her consent, one voluntary legal one under pressure and threats from her husband and she speaks very eloquently about all the damage they did her.  Knowing how women are forced or coerced into abortion from her own experience should make more women listen to her.  She's not someone who never had an 'inconvenient' pregnancy.

She's also called out the NAACP!

"NAACP, you're still supporting Planned Parenthood, which is one of the most racist organizations in America today, and they have proven that over and over," she points out.

"Their founder [Margaret Sanger] certainly thought that black people were like human weeds that needed to be exterminated. So [the NAACP's] support of Planned Parenthood is just saying that they are ready to renounce racism when it's inconvenient to them but to support racism when it's beneficial to them," King adds.

According to the documentary Maafa 21, Planned Parenthood was founded to reduce the minority population. It reports that 36 percent of abortions are done to kill unborn black babies.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Culture/Defaul...id=1093406

this site has a lot of good info about alveda king and more:

http://www.silentnomoreawareness.org/tes...-king.html

(07-24-2010, 05:31 PM)Magdalene Wrote: Here in Colorado we have a personhood amendment #62 on the ballot. The bishops are officially 'neutral' in the face of the great evil of abortion. But we MUST put out the truth of the personhood of the unborn constantly.  And if it is defeated, we bring it back again and again and again.   This technique has worked perfectly for the gay agenda such that even marriage is being redefined and the attitude of the country changed.

My pastor just agreed to stand behind this as a number of Catholic churches in the archdiocese have done but the protestants are way ahead of us.

you're right, the protestants are way ahead of us.  back when we 'only' had some 400 families registered in our parish, i went to a march for life.  exactly 3 people showed up from our parish.  two more people had said they'd attend but one had to cancel -- and i know it was for good reason -- while the other just didn't show up.  we waited around, finally left, since the march was in another city thirty miles from here.
there is a parish in that city so maybe we weren't the only Catholics there, but 3 people out of over 400 families registered?  pitiful.  there were a lot of protestants there, though.  it was a silent protest, not really a march but a demonstration where we spread out along a main street holding signs and praying silently, ignoring those who yelled at us.  this area is conservative so i'm not sure anyone was yelling against us, just some teenaged boys making noise for the sake of making noise is all i remember, what they said i didn't understand.

(07-25-2010, 01:02 AM)i.p.i. Wrote:
(07-24-2010, 05:31 PM)Magdalene Wrote: Here in Colorado we have a personhood amendment #62 on the ballot. The bishops are officially 'neutral' in the face of the great evil of abortion. But we MUST put out the truth of the personhood of the unborn constantly.  And if it is defeated, we bring it back again and again and again.   This technique has worked perfectly for the gay agenda such that even marriage is being redefined and the attitude of the country changed.

you're right, the protestants are way ahead of us.  back when we 'only' had some 400 families registered in our parish, i went to a march for life.  exactly 3 people showed up from our parish.  two more people had said they'd attend but one had to cancel -- and i know it was for good reason -- while the other just didn't show up.  we waited around, finally left, since the march was in another city thirty miles from here.
there is a parish in that city so maybe we weren't the only Catholics there, but 3 people out of over 400 families registered?  pitiful.  there were a lot of protestants there, though.  it was a silent protest, not really a march but a demonstration where we spread out along a main street holding signs and praying silently, ignoring those who yelled at us.  this area is conservative so i'm not sure anyone was yelling against us, just some teenaged boys making noise for the sake of making noise is all i remember, what they said i didn't understand.
Our DC March for Life was well attended from our parish and the overwhelming majority of marchers were Catholic. There is hope.
Our DC March for Life was well attended from our parish and the overwhelming majority of marchers were Catholic. There is hope.
[/quote]

that's good to hear.  so many people, Catholics and non-Catholics, have been intimidated into silence on issues they know are wrong 'because we have to respect the rights of women, or the rights of homosexuals.' 

people must wake up because the 'rights of pedophiles' campaign is already under way.

i know fisheaters is not a pro-life site per se but i have been surprised that posts urging action to stop the spread of abortion, the funding of the abortion industry with our tax dollars, etc., have had little response here.  i've posted OPs giving easy ways to contact Congress about legislation related to abortion, have had little feedback as to whether people even read my post, much less whether they acted on it.

why have so few of us responded to this OP about a new tactic, a new push for the pro-life cause?

are we mice or are we Catholic men and women?

(07-25-2010, 11:22 AM)i.p.i. Wrote: that's good to hear.  so many people, Catholics and non-Catholics, have been intimidated into silence on issues they know are wrong 'because we have to respect the rights of women, or the rights of homosexuals.'   

people must wake up because the 'rights of pedophiles' campaign is already under way.
I think that nationally, the pro-life movement is overwhelmingly Catholic. According to Star Parker, a pro-life activist who we brought to speak at my university in 2007, "The Catholics have been getting it right for years. Where have the rest of us been?" Here in Delaware, we've been trying for a while now to get Protestant churches involved in pro-life activities. We've had some luck among the Baptists and a handful of African American churches (and as I mentioned earlier, once someone accepts the truths of the pro-life movement, I think it's easier for them to accept other truths as well... like those of the Catholic Church...). We haven't really gotten involved with folks of non-Christian religions yet. It's easier when there's at least the common ground of Christianity.

It is hard to stand up for truth--I know from being involved with the pro-life movement on a very secular college campus. It is certainly hard to fight for your right to be heard among all those clamoring for so-called equality and diversity. But, y'know... "Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice' sake..."

i.p.i. Wrote:know fisheaters is not a pro-life site per se but i have been surprised that posts urging action to stop the spread of abortion, the funding of the abortion industry with our tax dollars, etc., have had little response here.  i've posted OPs giving easy ways to contact Congress about legislation related to abortion, have had little feedback as to whether people even read my post, much less whether they acted on it.

why have so few of us responded to this OP about a new tactic, a new push for the pro-life cause?

are we mice or are we Catholic men and women?

I, too, was hoping for some more responses to my original question. So what do you think about it, i.p.i.?

Many times when I hear about new strategies or tactics in the movement, I can anticipate the kind of response from the opposition that these new techniques will incur, and I wonder: "Is this the best we can do? Is anyone going to take us seriously if we do X?" That's what I have to wonder about the pro-life freedom rides, and that's why I asked the question. I'm hoping that the positive responses will outweigh the negative ones. I know that I understand the link between the Civil Rights movement and the pro-life movement, but people in opposition to us are going to say that we are twisting history, that Alveda King is using her uncle's good name for a purpose he would not support, that we don't really care about unborn black babies, and that we are just using black people to further our agenda (which is, ironically, what Planned Parenthood actually does, but hey). I really hope that Fr. Pavone, Dr. King, and the other leaders are able to articulate responses to the claims of the opposition. If any of our national leaders can do it, I think it'll be the ones at Priests for Life. I don't have as much faith in some of our other national leaders. Nellie Grey, for example, is often abrasive and accusatory in her outcry against abortion. She isn't winning over any pro-choicers with that type of inflammatory rhetoric, but that's another topic for another time.

If the USA gets some relief from the chastisement, it will because of the wonderful sacrifices put forth by the Pro Life Catholics.  Also, we can not fail to note the many TLMs said in the USA and the graces from it.

Keep fighting for Life.  This is great.