Bp W Column: "University" Wasteland
(07-25-2010, 02:56 PM)JayneK Wrote: This makes me think of Cardinal Newman's The Idea of a University.  Even though it was written over a century ago, it is still relevant.  Here is a link for anyone interested in this topic: http://www.newmanreader.org/works/idea/

That's a good sign, because if I recall,  Bishop Williamson refers to Card. Newman for his definition of what a University is supposed to be.
(07-25-2010, 05:38 PM)Gerard Wrote:
(07-25-2010, 02:56 PM)JayneK Wrote: This makes me think of Cardinal Newman's The Idea of a University.  Even though it was written over a century ago, it is still relevant.  Here is a link for anyone interested in this topic: http://www.newmanreader.org/works/idea/

That's a good sign, because if I recall,  Bishop Williamson refers to Card. Newman for his definition of what a University is supposed to be.

That is interesting.  And not at all surprising.
At least a few of the Bishop's priest will not agree fully with him. I had one SSPX priest think that the secular environment of the college will strengthen me in the faith as I have to make efforts to remain faithful, while another (along with the superiors of various SSPX-affliated congregations) think that I would do very well finishing my studies at the secular university.

But I get to go to daily Mass, thank God.

But His Excellency is too right with regards to the wasteland. I fully agree with him on that point after seeing so much of that rubbish. I never had any professor telling us to have sex (not even with that vulgar and impurity spewing, ultra-liberal French tutor) but there is so much mud-slinging against the Catholic Church and morals. Moral relativism is rife everywhere and let us not get into the university culture....

I once saw a poster promoting a disco party titled the "8 deadly sins"-- because 7 is not enough. Kyrie eleison! =(
karyn_anne,
  I agree with and understand what you are saying here... a secular university can be a source of strength for your Faith as you have to learn to stand up for and defend the Truth! Also, this can help you to actually learn more about the Faith and the reasons we believe what we do as in a more comfortable environment were you can rely on Faith and obedience...

Frequenting the sacraments is important and crucial in any life but of course particularly neccessary when you are being thrust into the world and learning to deal with it!

The depths of depravity witnessed in the university world can very disheartening and even some days depressing- But as long as you have a good family group of Catholic friends and community to hash out the issues and put everything back into perspective it can be worked through!