Father Andrew Greeley is in Fair Condition
Father Greeley says that Cardinal Bernardine was at least as heterosexual as he is, but will Father Greeley have the Windy City Gay Men's Chorus come play at his wake?

http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2010...-from.html
I have no idea if Cardinal Bernardin was homosexual or not, but he inherited a financially sound diocese from Cardinal Cody, and left a bankrupt one, when he died.

i'm not a fan of fr. greeley's, have never read one of his novels, but i don't know the man, don't know that he's not chaste, never even heard innuendo that he was homosexual. 

i would remind the OP and everyone that chastity is what's required of a priest, not 'heterosexual orientation.'  if a priest with 'homosexual orientation' is chaste, he is doing what he should do as far as that aspect of his life goes.

i believe that it was fr. greeley whom i heard on tv during 'the great pedophile priest scandal of 2002' [as produced and directed by the media.  though there were some guilty priests, the media conflated allegations from decades, some of them unproven, as if they were factual.]

in an interview not confined entirely to the topic of the media-driven scandal, fr. greeley -- if it was he, as i think it was -- said something about his weight and 'i gave up sex, you can't expect me to give up chocolate, too.'  that amused me, which is why i recall it.

unless you have evidence that fr. greeley has not been chaste, you're engaging in calumny and detraction against a priest.

i also wonder why you posted an OP titled  "Father Andrew Greeley is in Fair Condition" which contains only strong innuendo that Fr. Greeley and Cardinal Bernardin are/were homosexual, and, as always, a link to your blog.  the content of the OP did not relate to your title for it.   that is misleading forum members.

i refuse to read your blog because you have used FE as a place to advertise it in numerous OPs rather than in your sig line, as is the proper way to advertise a blog.  the nature of your posts here also strongly suggests that i would find your blog less than helpful.  (i realize English is not your first language but there are others here for whom English is a second language and they manage to play by the rules and not engage in calumny and detraction as you so often do.)  i normally don't read any of your OPs for that very reason but i hadn't known that Father Andrew Greeley was ill or injured, i vaguely know who he is, and so i decided to find out what was wrong with him.  i should have known that info wouldn't be in your post. 

i did a search and went to both his website and his blog, which his family is keeping open for people to post on.  news stories of interest to Catholics (e.g., "Pro-life Freedom Rides Launch in Alabama" and "FactCheck.org Confirms: Obamacare Dollars Were Set to Fund Abortions Before Controversy") are also continually updated, no doubt automatically, and some of Fr. Greeley's articles are archived.

family members have not posted an update on Fr. Greeley's condition since November 7, 2009, and that update didn't really say what his condition was, only that he continues receiving care and therapy for a traumatic brain injury which he suffered on November 7, 2008, when he caught his jacket on the door of a cab and fell in the street, fracturing his skull and the left orbital bone around his eye.  Surgeons installed a monitor in his skull to monitor pressure on his brain.  he was 80 years old at the time.  someone else, not the family, posted what was essentially the same update as the Nov. 7, 2009 update on March 17, 2010.

if you have new information, how did you come by it?  and what is it?

(07-25-2010, 11:51 AM)i.p.i. Wrote: i'm not a fan of fr. greeley's, have never read one of his novels, but i don't know the man, don't know that he's not chaste, never even heard innuendo that he was homosexual. 

While I don't know anything for certain, based on the sex scenes in his novels, I am reasonably sure that this man is chaste and has never had sex in his life.  :P
No clue what one of the above posters is imbibing, but this is a story from Renew America about Andrew Greeley's statement that he knows where the bodies are buried when it comes to the lavender mafia of Chi-town, and our comment is based on something Greeley said himself about Cardinal Bernardin that he's "straight" at least as heterosexual as he is.  How you come up with a calumny charge on that is beyond me. 

Is there some kind of vitamin B-12 supplement you could start taking before you post and bug people with false accusations and complaining about whatever?  Father Greeley was in fair condition at the time this was posted.

Additionally, not everyone is as "well-informed" as you are, so I'll leave it at that.  Your concerns are your own and I generally don't read your posts unless you're trying to derail a thread by discussing something completely unrelated to it.

If we're implicating anything here, it's that Father Greeley MAY have met with foul play at the hands of people he claims to have the goods on in Chicago.

Why don't you go start a thread about how great things are in the world of NO Liturgy and how they often meet with your approval, or another commentary on how the social sciences is a worthwhile endeavor for a Catholic gradual student?

DANG!
Leave the "outing" of Cardinal Bernardin to the professionals like Brady at the RCF, they actually collect the data before accusing any priest. Father Greeley has written about the "lavender mafia" in both books and remembering Christ's words "a house divided can not stand" he doesn't seem to be part of it nor a regular old pervert. He's a liberal with a small "l" Catholic priest The way you add facts and innuendo together is amazing, You need a priest and a shrink.
tim
And just for the record, while I do find Fr. Greeley's non-disclosure of the list of pederastic homosexual murderers he has under lock and key reprehensible, considering the threat these people pose to children and young adults and people like Greeley's late friend who was repeatedly and brutally stabbed to death, I do believe that he is celibate and a man of SOME integrity.

(07-25-2010, 05:02 PM)timoose Wrote: Leave the "outing" of Cardinal Bernardin to the professionals like Brady at the RCF, they actually collect the data before accusing any priest. Father Greeley has written about the "lavender mafia" in both books and remembering Christ's words "a house divided can not stand" he doesn't seem to be part of it nor a regular old pervert. He's a liberal with a small "l" Catholic priest The way you add facts and innuendo together is amazing, You need a priest and a shrink.
tim

Bernardin was already accused by Father Fiore of sexually abusing one of his seminarians who later died of AIDS in his care, and in any event, I don't think I accused him of anything here.  I just reported a fact that the Cardinal had the "Windy City Gay Men's Chorus" sing at his wake. 

I'll bet you wouldn't mind them singing at your wake would you?

Health update 03/17/10 from downtown Chicago
Father Andrew Greeley and family wish to express their profound gratitude to all who have kept him in their prayers. On his behalf, we ask for your continued prayers for him and for all victims of traumatic brain injury and their families.

We express our thanks to the skilled medical personnel, caregivers, and rehabilitation therapists who have cared for and encouraged him during this difficult time. We will continue to work so that, in spite of his injury, he can enjoy a quality of life in keeping with his imagination, intelligence, and service to his Church and community.

Through the years, we have observed first hand his deep commitment to his friends, academic colleagues, readers, fellow priests, and parishioners. We know that Fr. Greeley blesses you for your concern. Happy Easter to all!

ht wrigleys from AQ