A Dichotomy of Thought or “Infantile Theists” v. “Left Brain Prisoners”
Atheist author Christopher Hitchens largely attributes the religious sentiment of men to infancy, when individuals are completely dependent on another “all powerful,” “provident” person to survive. This reality is transferred to “mental constructs” like god(s), angels, demons, forces, energy, etc. Hence one encounters common religious themes such as helplessness, groveling to deities (Abd Allah/slave of God, servant of Christ, etc), the abnegation of the will, and so forth. There is something strikingly Freudian to Hitchens’ approach. The gnawing anxiety people live in which gives rise to religious needs is additionally due to human adrenaline glands being too big (humans no longer need to run from Sabretooth Tigers on a moment's notice), and prefrontal lobes – the cognitive area of the brain – which are too small.

A partial explanation of this line of thinking can be seen here:

[video=youtube]

[/video]

On the other hand, author and lecturer David Icke believes that the atheists are wrong. He holds that the left part of the atheist's brain (the rational, logical half) is too active, while the right side (the artistic, poetic part) is latent. Icke, who famously said he was the son of God on British television (seen here: ), has tremendous insights into the manipulation of fear by spiritual entities (which monotheists would call demons) and the world's political and social power elite. Icke, who eschews religion, has produced a six hour documentary on this and broader subjects (seen here: ). It’s a must see. Regarding the brain, David Icke has this to say:

[video=youtube]

[/video]

Both men make compelling points in their own right. It is interesting that both men – whom I do not think have met or debated each other, by the way - try to enlist psychology to back their positions. Who’s right? Might they both be partially “onto something” while both being partially "off?"
Very interesting, thanks for posting.
Utter crap.
(07-25-2010, 05:26 PM)Credo Wrote: Who’s right? Might they both be partially “onto something” while both being partially "off?"

Neither are right.

People ultimately believe what they do because of choices they make.
The source of atheism is pride, the first sin.  Faith, which itself only exists as a gift from God, is only possible when we embrace the virtue that protects against pride:  humility.  Hitchens, and all other proclaimed atheists, are such because they will not humble themselves.  They want to be gods themselves.  What scares me so much to see in my own children is defiance, which if unchecked leads to pride, which leads only to destruction.  I do think that religion arises in infancy, and it should.  Making our children "independent" when they are too young, or allowing them to question legitimate authority is exactly what the enemy wants.  Hitchens is surely a tool of the enemy.