Do the Holy Mysteries performed outside the Church, confere Grace?
Hello

According to the Eastern Christian (specially Byzantine) way of thinking, the holy mysteries, when performed outside the Church (this is, the Orthodox Church) do not confere grace. Therefore, some of them (the Calendarists and ROCOR, that is, the conservative ones) incorrectly repeat the Baptism of the Latins who convert to Orthodoxy. Most Churches, however regard the Western baptism as an "empty form" (they're valid) that become filled with grace once the convert is received into Orthodoxy,

I used to think that the Catholic Church saw the sacraments of other Churches as valid and pleasant to God (this is what the Novus Ordo says). However, as I started researching I saw that the Catholic Church also sees the mysteries performed outside of it as valid but unperfect and having no benefit unto salvation.

St Augustine wrote:

“The comparison of the Church with Paradise  shows us that men may indeed receive baptism outside her pale, but that no one outside can either receive or retain the salvation of eternal happiness... Accordingly, although the waters of Paradise  are found beyond its boundaries, yet its happiness is in Paradise  alone. So, therefore, the baptism of the Church may exist outside, but the gift of the life of happiness is found alone within the Church, which has been founded on a rock, which has received the keys of binding and losing." [...]

"This indeed is true, that “baptism is not unto salvation except within the Catholic Church.” For in itself it can indeed exist outside the Catholic Church as well; but there it is not unto salvation, because there it does not work salvation; just as that sweet savour of Christ is not unto salvation in them that perish, though from a fault not in itself but in them."

Saint Bruno of Segni:

“Consequently, baptism cannot be given and cannot benefit [the person] outside the Church. For although baptism which is given outside the Church does have the form of the sacrament, it does not have the virtue of the sacrament; it has the form, of course, because it is done in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit."

So the possition of both Traditional Catholicism and Orthodoxy is actually very similar.

Does this mean that the Latin Church also sees the sacraments performed outside the Church as not having the grace even though they are valid?

Thanks.

(08-03-2010, 09:45 PM)Mexican Wrote: So the possition of both Traditional Catholicism and Orthodoxy is actually very similar.

Does this mean that the Latin Church also sees the sacraments performed outside the Church as not having the grace even though they are valid?

Thanks.

No, they can have grace. However, the real issue is the intent and knowledge of the individual. A person who received unworthy is guilty. A person who belongs to a schismatic sect and receives knowing their own position cannot receive properly (hence, no grace). However, a person in the Church who is an emergency may go to the Orthodox for the sacraments, so the sacraments themselves are not graceless.
A traditionally validly ordained Priest, though he be a heretic in mortal sin, can still convect a valid sacrament, using the traditional form (words) & matter when his intention is to do what the true Church intends.  His ordination must be traceable back to Peter.  However supporting a heretical Priest is a mortal sin. 

If he's imposing in his heresy such as requiring the recipient to accept in BOD, divorce etc; then he'd have to be avoided. 

One must not accept any heresy (denial of Christ & His Church) or they'd loose the state of Grace.  Serving Mass, supporting him financially etc.  He must be ordained in the traditional rite specifically to offer sacrifice, forgive sins, bless, exorcise, preach etc.  I've heard there are a few Priests who are ordained to offer the holy Sacrifice only in these terrible times.  There's no seminaries left that I'm aware of.

Another example found in study is that the ordination can be done by a Heretic, as long as it's valid.  Like in the case of St. Vincent Ferrar's ordination during the great western schism.  A time when 3, or 4, people claimed to be Pope.

It can be very confusing.  The true Devotion to Mary, by St. Louis DeMontfore, is critical to receive the Grace to survive this heretical world.  Many Saints mention proper devotion to St. Joseph too as required.  WHO IS A BETTER EXAMPLE OF DEVOTION TO OUR BLESSED MOTHER then him?  And he appeared at Fatima.

best always,

dave

[/quote]

No, they can have grace. However, the real issue is the intent and knowledge of the individual. A person who received unworthy is guilty. A person who belongs to a schismatic sect and receives knowing their own position cannot receive properly (hence, no grace). However, a person in the Church who is an emergency may go to the Orthodox for the sacraments, so the sacraments themselves are not graceless.
[/quote]

I agree, as far the next post and St Louis de Montfort, while I agree he was a avid follower of the Rosary. And clearly has stated the Rosary is a Blessing.  I'm not sure what one has to do with the other? 

The Rosary as far as being a Blessing, is also one that not all Catholics receive and are not required to. Many of us truly believe the calling from Mary is from Mary. In other words, I don't believe you find Mary, she comes to you through your sincere faith and trials. I believe this blessing is there for all.  Yet as witnessed at Miraculous Medal Mass, those who attend are the same faces and they attend weekly and faithfully, and there percentage is small as compared to the population of the same parish. Many, many Catholics are asked, told, and constantly incouraged to pray the Rosary. Yet for one reason of another as St Louis de Montfort states, they are unable to obtain this blessing.  I've come to believe this is a supernaturally imposed virtue that you should hold in high regard if you have received this blessing. Yet how this is confused with sacrements of the church I'm not sure?  Maybe I missed something?

St Josemaria  was very accurate in his quote,  "Many find to recite Hail Marys a monotony, yet there is also the same monotony of ones sin"
Dave France,  your entire statement is complete crap. 

Mexican, ignore Dave's post. It is not Catholicism it is sedevacantist garbage.
I would have to say that the sacraments of the Eastern Orthodox Churches do confer grace, for the Church has long held that, aside from the validity of Trinitarian baptism being performed by anyone (provided they intend to do what the Church does) and the validity of marriage between validly baptized heretics, the Eastern Orthodox in particular also have valid Holy Orders, the Blessed Eucharist, Confirmation, Penance and Extreme Unction. The validity of Holy Orders and of the Blessed Sacrament among the Eastern Orthodox is specifically attested to by decisions of the Holy Office dating back to the 1750s and the 1860s. I think it's safe to assume, therefore, that all of their sacraments are valid and thus confer grace.

http://www.latinmassmagazine.com/article...Allan.html
(08-21-2010, 03:40 PM)dave france Wrote: A traditionally validly ordained Priest, though he be a heretic in mortal sin, can still convect a valid sacrament, using the traditional form (words) & matter when his intention is to do what the true Church intends.   

It is interesting that you mentioned this. I was just discussing this with a priest recently (for 3 hours actually). From what I understand, it is not the intention to do what the Church intends (the intended substance), but it is an intention to do what the Church does. In this way, it sets the bar even lower than the intentions of the Church, which are very numerous and theologically precise, and simply places it on the external sacrament: what the Church does - that is, confect the sacrament.

A pagan who is baptizing, for example, doesn't have to specifically intend to wash away original sin - he may not even believe in original sin at all - though the baptizer cannot have a specifically contrary intention (he cannot say, for instance: "I am now going to administer baptism, but I'm not going to wash away any sin.") Still, he does not have to intend to do what the Church intends or else he would have to believe in original sin (at least implicitly). Rather, he only has to intend to do what the Church does - that is, confect the sacrament.

At least, that is how I understand it.
(08-26-2010, 02:42 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: (provided they intend to do what the Church does)

I see you addressed that already. Very good.
the manipulation of state affairs by the prime minister Dong Zhuo towards the end of the Eastern Han Dynasty (25-220) aroused strong anger in people, but nobody dared to air it. Upright ministers wanted to but failed to think of a way to get rid of him. Deep at night and alone in his garden, Wang Yun, a minister, sighed at these worries, his teaful eyes cast up at the moon. Suddenly, he heard a sigh from the pavilion nearby.
World of Warcraft power leveling,
He went over to see Diao Chan,World of Warcraft power leveling the sixteen-year-old, very beautiful singsong girl in his family. Upon enquiry, the girl went down on her knees and said, “Your excellency has treated me so nice after Icame. How could I repay your kindness? Ihave noticed your knitted eyebrows, You must have big worries that Idare not ask. Isighed, because Iwish Icould help you in some way.”
  Who could believe, thought Wang that the destiny of the Han Dynasty lies in this girl's hand. He helped the girl up, then he himself prostrated and kowtowed to her. “Why do you bow to me?” the puzzled girl asked. She repeated her offer to help in any way.
last chaos gold,
  Convinced of her resolüte attitude,last chaos gold Wang Yun was straightforward: “Both Dong Zhuo and his stepson Lü Bu love women. I'll take you as my step daughter, then I'll betroth you to Lü Bu before I present you as a gift to Dong Zhuo. You will seek opportunities to sow discord between them and make Lü kill Dong. In this way we can preserve the Han Dynasty.” “If I fail to do as you say,” she vowed, “I will die a violent death.”
aoc power leveling,
These were the interlocking stratagems laid by Wang Yun and Diao Chan Liu Bei visited the thatched cottage three times and finally succeeded in inviting Zhuge Liang to be his military adviser. aoc power levelingYet his sworn brothers, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei, did not take Zhuge seriously. Before long, Cao Cao dispatched an army of 100,000 to attack Liu Bei's headquarters at Xinye. Cao's troops were at the command of General Xiahou Chun. When Liu Bei turned to Zhuge Liang for advice, Zhuge said: “Ihave to borrow your majesty's sword of authority in that I am f/afraid that Guan Yu and Zhang Fei will not listen to me.” Liu lost no time in lending his sword of authority to Zhuge who then started to dispatch Liu's army for the defence.
aoc power leveling,
  Zhuge ordered Guan Yu to Lück and wait at Mount Yushan with 1,000 troops.aoc power leveling Guan was not to attack the enemy but rather let them pass. He would charge at the enemy as soon as he saw fire break out in the enemy procession. Zhang Fei was ordered to Lürk and wait in the valley with another 1,000 troops. Zhang was to attack the town of Bowang as soon as he saw fire break out in the enemy procession. Guan Ping, adopted son of Guan Yu and General Liu Feng were ordered to each guide 500 troops to wait behind the slope of Bowang. They would set fire to the enemy procession as soon as the enemy arrived at the slope. Zhuge recalled Zhao Yun from Fancheng to be the vanguard of Liu's army. But Zhao was ordered not to defeat the advancing enemy but rather pretend to be defeated. Liu Bei was given 1,000 troops as the back up force.
Final Fantasy XI GIL,
  Guan Yu was so curious that he asked:Final Fantasy XI GIL “We all go out to fight the battle. But what will you do?” Zhuge Liang answered smiling, “I will sit and wait here in town.” Zhang Fei burst into larghter and said: “We all go out to risk our lives while you enjoy your time carefree inside the town!” Zhuge said: “I have the sword of authority. Those who disobey my orders will be executed.” Guan and Zhang had nothing more to say, but they walked away sneeringly.
aion kinah,
  Since the generals carried out Zhuge Liang's orders to the letter,aion kinah the enemy was routed Zhuge's first military advice truned out to be smart and farsighted. Guan Yu, Zhang Fei and other generals in the Liu camp soon came to respect the new military adviser.
Sacraments work ex opere operato -- that is, they confer grace by the working of the minister. This was defined by the St. Augustine to counter the Donatist schism, the followers of which held that the worthiness of the minister affect Sacramental validity.

Provided there is nothing defective that impeded the validity due to form, matter, intention or minister, any sacrament is valid an confers grace. The valid form, matter, intention and minister are different for each Sacrament.

There is no doubt regarding a child below the age of reason, but after that point, all Sacraments except the Eucharist do rely for validity on the disposition of the recipient. Directly willing not to receive a sacrament can make a Sacrament invalid. Also, those who receive improperly disposed (e.g. State of Mortal Sin) may validly receive the Sacrament, but the graces are withheld until they make themselves properly disposed (e.g. Confession  and Absolution). Those that knowingly receive a Sacrament unworthily validly receive, but commit a grave sin of sacrilege.

So with those in schism, Sacraments do give grace, but the state of the soul of the individual, due to that schism, may mean that the grace given is given, but not applied due to improper disposition.