Hell is for eternity
I was reading "This is the Faith," and it got to the section on Hell.

I took a pause from reading, set the book down, and tried to realize what it'd be like to hate God (am I understanding Hell correctly?) and be in horrible pain for the longest time I could imagine. 

Then I realized that there's infinitely more time to go on after that.  It's for eternity.  I can't even grasp the idea of eternity (or the magnitude).

But it's forever.

I thought I should post this. 

Get to confession, stay in grace, abhor sin, and pray.
Yep
(08-04-2010, 12:05 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: I was reading "This is the Faith," and it got to the section on Hell.

I took a pause from reading, set the book down, and tried to realize what it'd be like to hate God (am I understanding Hell correctly?) and be in horrible pain for the longest time I could imagine. 

Then I realized that there's infinitely more time to go on after that.  It's for eternity.  I can't even grasp the idea of eternity (or the magnitude).

But it's forever.

Thanks for the head's up. I definitely need to get to confession this weekend.
Perpetual pain, in an environment designed for higher sentient beings, and not your human race. 

Or...billions of members of the human race burning perpetually in an alien environment not designed for them.

Or...the trash receptacle of the cosmos.

Many fascinating ways to consider it.
(08-04-2010, 12:05 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: I was reading "This is the Faith," and it got to the section on Hell.

But it's forever.

Hmmm. Providential, this post. I'm gonna go call Father to make an appointment right now!
Father Corapi puts it quite bluntly, which always gets my attention:  In the end, for all eternity you and I will be in heaven or hell...period!  I need to be reminded of that often, so thank you for this thread.
We all will make the decision weather we want to go

- to the heaven were there is no sex, no power over other beings, no inherited or self acquired privileges, no satisfaction that we know the truth

- or to the hell, where there is sex, power over others, human and spiritual privileges, and everyone can claim his/her own truth as the resolution for everyone.

Think about the pain that not only Americans bomb Iraqis but next day Iraqis bomb Americans. The pain is not created by God, but the damned individuals make it for each other.

And yes, go to confession, and ask yourself not only the question about the concupiscence, but the question: are you humble enough for the heaven?
(08-04-2010, 05:17 AM)glgas Wrote: - to the heaven where there is no sex

When people point this out I feel the need to point out how misleading it is. Yes, there will be no sex in heaven. But too often when people hear that they assume it means no intimacy with our loved ones. Heaven, we know, is quite the opposite. There is no sex because there is nothing but intimacy. Sex will seem like such a small thing in comparison. And sexual sins will be forgotten.
Unless you are a muzzie and then you get 70 virgins for all eternity.

(08-04-2010, 12:17 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: Thanks for the head's up. I definitely need to get to confession this weekend.

I need to get to confession tonight or tomorrow!!! I try to go once a week or less then that, but it just isn't readily available everyday by me, which is a shame! And that is another big problem with the NO...Only confessions in most dioceses are Saturday for 1 hour.

I try to stay in constant grace, but spring/summer is a horrible time for my own battle against lustful thoughts and impurity!! It is a never ending struggle for me!!  :(