Pickled Pigs Feet
I'm talking about european cuisine, DS, more specifically portuguese cuisine.
(08-08-2010, 04:02 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: I'm talking about european cuisine, DS, more specifically portuguese cuisine.

Point taken....in the US, various pig & chicken parts not eaten elsewhere seem to be Southern delicacies......that's what I was commenting on.

Although - back to the OP - you are braver than I for trying them!
(08-08-2010, 03:57 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: You know, cooked pigs feet are quite good and common our cuisine:

Zampones rellenos:

[Image: zampone_modena.jpg]
(08-08-2010, 10:12 AM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: I don't know if you guys are all Southerners or what, but here's a little tip.....there ARE parts of the animal that you are SUPPOSED TO THROW AWAY!!!!   :laughing:

Yeah, maybe about 2, or 3, but not gizzards or livers...  :eats:
(08-06-2010, 11:13 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: Pickled lambs tongues?

Want some?  Maybe I'll make some, when y'all come up...    [Image: smiley_cooking.gif]
What is the texture of a pig's ear? Is the mouthfeel like octopus (what I would imagine) or just ham?

DS, you are far too picky. "Vermin" are rats or mice, which probably someone somewhere eats. Squirrels are just pests. Take care of their peskiness by eating them.

(I've never had the opportunity to try squirrel, though.)
(08-08-2010, 06:30 PM)Satori Wrote: What is the texture of a pig's ear? Is the mouthfeel like octopus (what I would imagine) or just ham?

DS, you are far too picky. "Vermin" are rats or mice, which probably someone somewhere eats. Squirrels are just pests. Take care of their peskiness by eating them.

satori, will you please check your sandwich bread thread? Please??!?!?!  :)
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(08-08-2010, 06:30 PM)Satori Wrote: What is the texture of a pig's ear? Is the mouthfeel like octopus (what I would imagine) or just ham?

We lived in Knoxville, TN (loved it!) for 5 years before we moved home to Texas. On the local news once, there was a story about a young boy with terrible food allergies. He was allergic to nearly every kind of meat or fish - except for salmon and squirrel meat. There wasn't a squirrel safe in Knoxville for months. The family thanked everyone, but their freezer was overflowing. They couldn't take any more donations for a long time.
LOL...the teenagers with BB and .22s musta been having a good old time.
(08-08-2010, 06:03 PM)Texican Wrote:
(08-06-2010, 11:13 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: Pickled lambs tongues?

Want some?  Maybe I'll make some, when y'all come up...    [Image: smiley_cooking.gif]

Only if you promise to pullout the leftover succotash with it.