I'm getting too fat... :( Help?
My suggestion:

Read the book - Burn the fat... Feed the muscle --- Tom Venuto.

Follow the appropriate combinations of food types in the book as your basic lifestyle plan and you'll be sweet. Avoid counting calories obsessively, it's just another form of vanity.

If you're out of shape, do some mobility training like Scott Sonnons' Intu-flow. You'll find the beginner classes for free on youtube. They'll ensure that any strenuous exercies you're doing is also complemented by improvements in pain free mobility, which will encourage you to do more physical living.
Also, for an alternative view of fitness not based upon appearance and vanity, I recommend listening to this interview with Shane Heins.

http://physicalliving.com/interview-with...ng-muscle/
First thing, do yourself a favor and read Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It by Gary Taubes. The book is amazing. Next, cut the carbs. Just cut 'em. Get below 20 grams per day. When you find a weight you like, reincorporate SOME back into your diet. You may have to keep them low if you are predisposed to be fat. Here is the gist for weight loss. Do not care about calories or exercise, or any of that. Just watch the carbs. Exercise is good (I recommend slowburn weight training more), but not necessary. Counting calories will be a waste of time. Read the book!

Foods allowed in unlimited quantities (until you feel full)

Meat, poultry, fish and eggs
Oils, especially olive and peanut, and butter (but no margarine or hydrogenated oils that contain trans fats)

Foods that must be eaten daily

Two cups of leafy greens
1 cup (measured uncooked) of vegetables

Foods allowed in limited quantities

Up to 4 ounces a day of cheese. Avoid processed cheese; the carbohydrate count should be less than 1 gram per serving
Up to 4 tablespoonfuls a day of heavy, light, or sour cream
Up to 4 tablespoons a day of mayonnaise
Up to 1/2 an avocado a day

Foods to avoid

All sugars, honey, maple syrup, molasses and corn syrup
Beer, milk, soft drinks, yogurt, fruit and fruit juice
Grains including rice, cereals, flour, breads, pasta, muffins, bagels and crackers
Starchy vegetables including slow-cooked beans, carrots, parsnips, corn, peas and potatoes
The above is okay, but complex carbohydrates should be listed... Such as beens, sweet potatoes and whole grains, like brown rice and oatmeal. Also nuts.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
The diet is for weight loss, a la Atkins style. Beans, sweet potatoes, whole grains, brown rice, oatmeal, and nuts should probably be avoided while cutting the pounds, otherwise they're not gonna come off for a lot of people. Certainly he can reincorporate some of them when he finds his ideal weight. I would watch out for them, though, because they are still carbs and can still plump you back up. Complex carbs are still sugar. I eat low carb tortillas, which are good. I eat nuts regularly too. Potatoes sometimes. I drink whole milk which is not low carb. I also have small amounts of oatmeal at times too. Everyone finds their ideal. It's not drastic unless you really have a lot of trouble with your weight. But keep in mind that "complex carbs" are hyped way too much, so much so they got the whole bottom of the pyramid. If you're eating lots of good meat, fish, cheese, eggs, you can have some of these types of carbs and probably be okay. But they should not be the largest part of our diet or you'll be overweight like most everyone is (At least who are predisposed to be overweight). The low carb thing is great if you find what's right for your body.
Atkins worked for me and my wife.  Sugar is addictive and you don't have a natural stop signal when eating it.  With fat and protein, you stop when you are full.  Also, avoid franken-foods which have trans fats and high fructose corn syrup.

Also, and this is tough, you have to cut way back on the beer.  It goes right to the gut on me.  Two beers and I gain a pound.  Try switching to wine.
My brother lost over 100 pounds on weight watchers and has kept it off for over 4 years.
(05-11-2011, 04:21 PM)LuminousPax Wrote: My brother lost over 100 pounds on weight watchers and has kept it off for over 4 years.

Wow!  That's awesome! 
3 square meals a day and no snacks.  Exercise everyday. 

(05-11-2011, 04:21 PM)LuminousPax Wrote: My brother lost over 100 pounds on weight watchers and has kept it off for over 4 years.

What happened after the over 4 years?