I'm getting too fat... :( Help?
(08-09-2010, 12:10 AM)Texican Wrote:
(08-09-2010, 12:08 AM)cgraye Wrote: Walty subsists on popsicles and gummy bears, so be careful what kind of advice you take from him :o

good point.

It works.  Maybe try substituting one normal meal every day with something like gummy fruit slices or copious amounts of candy corn. 

I've got tips that could bring down the Tony Horton empire.
(08-08-2010, 11:55 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: One of the things to watch is portions.  Try halving your food intake, though eat the same things.  You may discover you're still satisfied afterwards.  Our eyes are bigger than our stomaches.  Not physically - our stomaches are in fact larger than our eyes - but metaphorically, in that we take more than we need.

Along those same lines...slow down when you eat.  I think it takes something like 20 min. for the hormones released by your stomach when it is indeed full to be fully processed by the brain.  If you eat quickly and inhale your food, your are more likely to take in way more than you need.

There are other "tricks" as well.  Eat an apple at the start of every meal.  The fibre will make you feel full sooner.  Also be sure to drink lots of water when you eat too.  It helps you feel fuller and aids in digestion.

And since you are a college student, I think it is safe to assume.......stay off the Red Bull and Mountain Dew.  That stuff is loaded with sugar and empty calories.  If you have to drink it for the caffeine fix, try diet versions.  Or better yet...try No Doz.  Caffeine is caffeine.
I know this may sound weird but during my recent weight loss (25 kilos gone so far) I was taught an incredibly important thing which no one had ever told me before.

While eating, pay attention to your body.  You will notice that part way through your meal you will suddenly sigh.  When that happens - stop eating immediately.  The sigh is a sign that you are full and need no more food for that meal.

When you sit at a a table full of people you will see that the overweight ones will sign and then continue eating.  Using this method you don't really need to worry too much about what you eat because if you stop at the sigh you should begin to get your portion sizes right as your stomach shrinks.  Just be sure to have variety and avoid processed foods.  Also, have three meals a day and if you get hungry between, have two pieces of fruit as your snack and nothing else.

Good luck!
I second the quinoa recommendation. You can use it exactly as you would rice, but it's protein, not starch. And yes, it is delicious and has a satisfyingly chewy texture, apart from being full of good-for-you things!
Drink lots of coffee. It's civilized, curbs your appetite, and will give you energy.
(08-09-2010, 01:15 PM)JamieF Wrote: I know this may sound weird but during my recent weight loss (25 kilos gone so far) I was taught an incredibly important thing which no one had ever told me before.

While eating, pay attention to your body.  You will notice that part way through your meal you will suddenly sigh.  When that happens - stop eating immediately.  The sigh is a sign that you are full and need no more food for that meal.

When you sit at a a table full of people you will see that the overweight ones will sign and then continue eating.  Using this method you don't really need to worry too much about what you eat because if you stop at the sigh you should begin to get your portion sizes right as your stomach shrinks.  Just be sure to have variety and avoid processed foods.  Also, have three meals a day and if you get hungry between, have two pieces of fruit as your snack and nothing else.

Good luck!
Gosh, that's so interesting. I'll try to watch for that.

CC, here's my advice: get a weight loss buddy, don't try to go it alone.

Also, I know you said you pray the rosary when you walk and that's great, but if you find yourself slacking off, try to get a walking buddy. I walk better with a friend, because I've made the commitment to meet her. To I'm less likely to roll over and take the extra half hour's sleep.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Don't drink regular soda.
Make your life a perpetual Lent. Fast whenever you can.

Soon, you'll be losing weight, I assure you.
i did weight watchers, worked awesome. trick is to drink MAD amount of water! Always fill your plate half full of salada or veggies, then cut the portion sizes of meats and sides. Also, meal plan! It'll be a pain at first, but you get used to it. It will also cur youe grocery bill down, as you arent buying anything unnecessary. Make a menu for the week, then buy ONLY what you need for that. I always have a few lean cuisines in the freezer to, for emergency meals if I didnt have time to cook something.
I have had to battle with weight problems my whole life. My trick is to eat very small amounts of food and do tons of cardio workout.