I'm getting too fat... :( Help?
(08-14-2010, 01:13 AM)Walty Wrote:
(08-13-2010, 09:11 PM)James02 Wrote: If you must, drink a diet drink.  Most drinks are pure poison they have so much sugar in them.

I think everything James had to say was excellent advice except for this.  Don't do diet drinks.  Yeah, there's no sugar in them but the jury is still out on all the other crappy effects that artificial sweeteners can have on you.  I'm not going sit here and talk about how they will create massive tumors in your brain or anything, but it's unclear as to what effect they have on metabolism and weight loss.

I don't think there is anything wrong with sugar so long as it's in moderation and is natural.  Buy some 100% juice stuff and drink that when you get sick of water.  If you can afford it, juicers are best.  I know there are a lot of calories in juice, but if there is no added sugar then it is essentially like downing a few servings of fruit and that shouldn't really make one add on weight.

I hate diet drinks (taste like poo).  :)  I'll be keeping my beer, sadly, but at a FAR MORE moderated amount than I did during this last school year.......

As to juice, I have been drinking 100% orange juice and grape juice.  Add to that Juicy Juice (100% juice, for 100% kids!), lol, and water. 
(08-13-2010, 10:47 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: But you expats have it good.  I dropped weight like none other in Germany.  :)

Then your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to live as if you were still living in Germany. That is, make a point to exercise naturally (walking, biking etc.) and eat right.

That's it. That's all you need. Everything else is people trying to cut corners and find some magic weight-loss scheme.
(08-14-2010, 01:13 AM)Walty Wrote:
(08-13-2010, 09:11 PM)James02 Wrote: If you must, drink a diet drink.  Most drinks are pure poison they have so much sugar in them.

I think everything James had to say was excellent advice except for this.  Don't do diet drinks.  Yeah, there's no sugar in them but the jury is still out on all the other crappy effects that artificial sweeteners can have on you.  I'm not going sit here and talk about how they will create massive tumors in your brain or anything, but it's unclear as to what effect they have on metabolism and weight loss.

I don't think there is anything wrong with sugar so long as it's in moderation and is natural.  Buy some 100% juice stuff and drink that when you get sick of water.  If you can afford it, juicers are best.  I know there are a lot of calories in juice, but if there is no added sugar then it is essentially like downing a few servings of fruit and that shouldn't really make one add on weight.

The anti-artificial sweetener people are the conspiratards of the diet world.  All legitimate research has concluded that artificial sweeteners are safe.  I know you're not promoting the far out ideas, but the metabolism thing is easy to explain - artificial sweeteners are not a carbohydrate substitute, and fat people crave carbs.  So when they don't get it from their normal sugar sources, they get it from other foods and remain fat.

Good points on the juice.  The first thing that people should do on a diet as has been mentioned is to get rid of the liquid calories in sodas and juices etc.  These are of very little nutritional value but easy to consume in large quantities thus making you fatter.   
I'm getting too skinny.. I don't see how anybody can eat in this heat!!!
(08-14-2010, 10:16 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I'm getting too skinny.. I don't see how anybody can eat in this heat!!!

QFT

I've dropped 2 kilos this summer, what with exercise and the heat.
I know, my dear. Don't lose any more! I think you're perfect.  :-*
(08-14-2010, 09:15 PM)Domini Canis Wrote:
(08-14-2010, 10:16 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I'm getting too skinny.. I don't see how anybody can eat in this heat!!!

QFT

This is America, son.  Kilos refers to cocaine, not body weight.  Pounds, if you please.  :bronxcheer:
(08-14-2010, 10:35 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(08-14-2010, 09:15 PM)Domini Canis Wrote:

QFT

This is America, son.  Kilos refers to cocaine, not body weight.  Pounds, if you please.   :bronxcheer:
Have you see the movie Salton Sea?

Must. Be. Nice.  ;)

(08-15-2010, 01:39 AM)Penelope Wrote:

Must. Be. Nice.   ;) 

Here in southwest Ohio we've had dog days in the 90s with a heat/humidity index over 100 - since mid-June!! Nothing kills the appetite like Old Man Summer. I can't wait until fall, when I can turn on the oven again, bake cookies again, and gain back the pounds I lost.