Creepy Pseudo-Trad Blog
I wouldn't even give this guy the clicks.  Unfortunately I clicked over there because of your post, and today he's claiming Fr. Z knows nothing about liturgy.  ::)
Yeah, "Patricius" is an odd little fellow. I believe I heard through the grapevine that he's afflicted with asperger syndrome which would certainly explain his various unhealthy obsessions and repetitive screeds.  I do sympathize with some of his "plight", namely, the realization that the liturgical praxis you find in most "traditional" parishes is woefully lacking in many respects, but he's allowed a handful of issues (all related in one or another to ecclesiastical discipline or mere aesthetics) to become an unnatural fixation ... one that appears to be driving him further and further away from Holy Mother Church.
Uh...that pic he has of pre Vatican II Priests supposedly concelebrating its a bunch of Priests celebrating their own Mass. ???
(02-07-2011, 06:54 PM)Baskerville Wrote: Uh...that pic he has of pre Vatican II Priests supposedly concelebrating its a bunch of Priests celebrating their own Mass. ???

No, that's not what he's saying. He finds the entire notion of "Low Mass" to be utterly repugnant (which he apparently extends to the practice of Private Masses as well). He is actually advocating the use of concelebration as superior to the many individual Private Masses as shown in that picture.
(02-07-2011, 06:54 PM)Baskerville Wrote: Uh...that pic he has of pre Vatican II Priests supposedly concelebrating its a bunch of Priests celebrating their own Mass. ???

Yeah, both Father Z and Patricius know that. Patricius is apparently vehemently against bunches of low Masses, as in that picture we're talking about. It's pretty clear that Pat has a serious axe to grind somewhere that doesn't actually have anything to do with concelebration. I do agree with him, though, that:

1.) Most priests are total idiots about liturgy. This is frankly undeniable. (Father Z is not one of those men, though, although I disagree with him sometimes.)

2.) When multiple priests are in an area, efforts should be made to offer solemn Mass first, before bunches of low Masses. I wouldn't dare go so far as to say they're inherently bad, though.
(02-07-2011, 07:07 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: 2.) When multiple priests are in an area, efforts should be made to offer solemn Mass first, before bunches of low Masses. I wouldn't dare go so far as to say they're inherently bad, though.

Why doesn't the Holy Father do this? I hate HATE watching his Masses because there is always at least 20 Priests,Cardinals, Bishops or whatever crowding around him. It looks retarded.
(02-07-2011, 07:13 PM)Baskerville Wrote: Why doesn't the Holy Father do this? I hate HATE watching his Masses because there is always at least 20 Priests,Cardinals, Bishops or whatever crowding around him. It looks retarded.

Why doesn't he get rid of the concelebrants, you mean? No idea.

I think concelebration is an okay concept when the Pope is traveling abroad, though, if you limit it to, say, the local bishop or primate. But.... whatever.
(02-07-2011, 07:20 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(02-07-2011, 07:13 PM)Baskerville Wrote: Why doesn't the Holy Father do this? I hate HATE watching his Masses because there is always at least 20 Priests,Cardinals, Bishops or whatever crowding around him. It looks retarded.

Why doesn't he get rid of the concelebrants, you mean? No idea.

I think concelebration is an okay concept when the Pope is traveling abroad, though, if you limit it to, say, the local bishop or primate. But.... whatever.

Yeah I have no theological argument I just think it looks stupid. When I watch the Pope celebrate Mass I wanna see the Pope not the Pope and 30 Cardinals. I agree when goes abroad celebrating with the local ordinary would be fine but not 20 or 30.
I ran into this blog some months ago, back when it had only about two pages of posts. I read them all, interested at first, but then left feeling disturbed.

A certain Oscar Wilde was greatly interested in liturgy, too. It's what drew him into the Catholic Church. It's a pity that the opposite seems to be happening with this boy.

Re that picture... can anyone explain what's happening there? When I first saw it, I thought it was three seminarians learning how to say Mass, because it looks like a classroom in a basement. If those are actual priests, why are they celebrating Mass there??
(02-07-2011, 07:34 PM)m.PR Wrote: Re that picture... can anyone explain what's happening there? When I first saw it, I thought it was three seminarians learning how to say Mass, because it looks like a classroom in a basement. If those are actual priests, why are they celebrating Mass there??

It's what it looks like: a row of priests celebrating low Mass, presumably for a myriad of private intentions.

I think the picture might illustrate what was wrong in the pre-Vatican II Church, if you look at it as priests being automatic dispensers of grace in some sort of sacrament factory. It's a very industrial view of the liturgy.

Again, I'm not against low Mass or Mass for private intentions at side altars, but the picture does seem a little..... distasteful, for lack of a better word.