Creepy Pseudo-Trad Blog
OldMan Wrote:Ah, those were the days. No goofy Epistle babes. No goofy altar girls. No clown Masses. No B. S. period.

True, there's none of that, but there's more to good liturgy than avoiding abuses of the post-Vatican II variety, or even multiplying the number of Masses available.

Again, I've got nothing against private Masses. But let solemn Mass take priority, and observe the rules on bination. I think everyone can agree on that.

(Also, the alb on the second priest from left..... did he get that off a rack at Victoria's Secret? Yuck. The alb is supposed to cover his underwear, not show it off.)
(02-09-2011, 11:25 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: (Also, the alb on the second priest from left..... did he get that off a rack at Victoria's Secret? Yuck. The alb is supposed to cover his underwear, not show it off.)

:o I hadn't noticed the albs. All of them strike me as too transparent, they shouldn't even properly be called albs. The one on the priest nearest to the camera is the worst: too transparent + too much decoration.
(02-09-2011, 11:53 PM)m.PR Wrote: :o I hadn't noticed the albs. All of them strike me as too transparent, they shouldn't even properly be called albs. The one on the priest nearest to the camera is the worst: too transparent + too much decoration.

The thing about the vestments is that they're at once decadent (the albs) and minimalistic (the chasubles, which are like sleeveless a-shirts). Vestments should be heavy, stifling and uncomfortable. You could almost do ballet in these. Not so with the vestments made by the Saint Bede Studio, for example:

[Image: MS+Photo+15.jpg]

See? Much better.

But if you must wear a fiddleback chasuble, please at least wear a solid alb. The vestments are there to cover your clericals. The cassock is still street dress, though it often gets mistakenly called a vestment when worn with a surplice as acolytes or choristers might do. And that, by the way, is why I think the alb should be more widely used. The pre-Vatican II forms even have priests wearing surplices under chasubles in certain circumstances, which is just weird.

Now I probably sound like Patricius.
(02-10-2011, 12:13 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: The thing about the vestments is that they're at once decadent (the albs) and minimalistic (the chasubles, which are like sleeveless a-shirts). Vestments should be heavy, stifling and uncomfortable.

"Decadence" is a rather inappropriate term here, if you ask me. Highly ornate vestments are certainly not a product of the Baroque Counter-reformation era. Examples exist today of vestments from the Renaissance and High Middle Ages that were far costlier ("decadent") than any lacy alb, incorporating materials such as watered silk, cloth-of-gold, freshwater pearls, precious stones, etc. Personally I wold prefer those ornaments over lace, but the notion of "decadence" in sacred vestments is really an oxymoron. At what point exactly do we consider glorifying the sacred mysteries "too much"?
(02-10-2011, 12:13 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Not so with the vestments made by the Saint Bede Studio, for example:

I love St. Bede Studio, but some of their products have been hits and misses, IMHO (such as this horrid chasuble).  I personally find Tridentinum's "Renaissance-Borromean" style to be just right:
[Image: 5319815092_406d3b71f0.jpg]

I think if you were to combine the above chasuble with an appareled alb and amice, you'd have liturgical perfection!
I don't think of decadent as a necessarily perjorative word. For example, I like "decadent cake". In this case, though, the alb is as decorative, or even more decorative than the chasuble; while the chasuble is seemingly cut down in volume to show off the lacy liturgerie.  There may be no such thing as "too much", but one can also never have too much good taste. At least let the chasuble be the primary outer vestment. The sheer albs, though.... one has to ask: why that instead of solid?

I like the Borromean chasubles. They're not my favorite, but they're good.
(02-10-2011, 03:18 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: I don't think of decadent as a necessarily perjorative word. For example, I like "decadent cake". In this case, though, the alb is as decorative, or even more decorative than the chasuble; while the chasuble is seemingly cut down in volume to show off the lacy liturgerie.  There may be no such thing as "too much", but one can also never have too much good taste. At least let the chasuble be the primary outer vestment. The sheer albs, though.... one has to ask: why that instead of solid?

I like the Borromean chasubles. They're not my favorite, but they're good.

I agree with your take, HK. I personally find the use of excessive lace and sheer material to be somewhat jarring and would much rather prefer simple, long surplices and appareled albs. The word decadent has fairly unpleasant connotations nowadays and it is generally used synonymously with ostentation. However, thank you for clarifying your meaning.

Now here is a style of alb I'd have no qualm seeing revived. This is a silk alb from 12th century Italy:

[Image: 12th-c-alb-from-Italy.jpg]
Whoa. That's the best alb I've ever seen.
Looks like it's for a real husky priest.  :)
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(02-09-2011, 11:25 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
OldMan Wrote:Ah, those were the days. No goofy Epistle babes. No goofy altar girls. No clown Masses. No B. S. period.

True, there's none of that, but there's more to good liturgy than avoiding abuses of the post-Vatican II variety, or even multiplying the number of Masses available.

Again, I've got nothing against private Masses. But let solemn Mass take priority, and observe the rules on bination. I think everyone can agree on that.

(Also, the alb on the second priest from left..... did he get that off a rack at Victoria's Secret? Yuck. The alb is supposed to cover his underwear, not show it off.)

Very well said, HK.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(02-10-2011, 02:54 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Looks like it's for a real husky priest.  :)

Italians tend to be short but stout.  I'm not short, but I'm sure stout...