Pure grape wine for non-liturgical use?
Anyone know of a vendor who sells it to the laity? What few vendors of pure grape wine I'm aware of only sell to the clergy, but anyone who has been a slightly unruly altar server in his youth (or has received the Blood at a OF Mass) knows that pure grape wine is the best tasting wine out there.

I like wine a lot, but can only tolerate most commercial wines for a single glass, and half the time Welch's grape juice is preferable to them all.
What's wrong with commercial wines for you?  Is it the sulfites?
Just a matter of taste, for the most part. I don't have any allergies. Unless it's the sulfites that make so many commercial wines taste like crap.

I'm from New Jersey; I might be immune to most commercial toxins ;)
Maybe you're buying crap wines?  Because I've received the Blood at OF Masses, and it certainly wasn't on the level of good wine you would get from a wine store.
(08-12-2010, 12:04 PM)Lycorth Wrote: Just a matter of taste, for the most part. I don't have any allergies. Unless it's the sulfites that make so many commercial wines taste like crap.

I'm from New Jersey; I might be immune to most commercial toxins ;)

I'm from Jersey too, so I know what you mean... :)

You could try making your own wine. 
(08-12-2010, 12:09 PM)cgraye Wrote: Maybe you're buying crap wines?  Because I've received the Blood at OF Masses, and it certainly wasn't on the level of good wine you would get from a wine store.

I know it's all relative, too, but for me, I've never had anything as good as the pure grape wine used at Mass.

(08-12-2010, 12:11 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: I'm from Jersey too, so I know what you mean... :)

You could try making your own wine. 

Yeah, 28+ years of that good Trenton air helps.

I might try making my own someday. Some of my wife's relatives make their own and it is great stuff.
I my experience, altar wine blows.  Like it was made from Niagara grapes or vinted in the rectory basement.

Maybe NJ wine is better than Kansas, but Kansas altar wine is the sweetest, gummiest sauce in the hooch business.
It's a mixed bag - I've had some that was good, but most was wine in name only.  Paint thinner would have been a better description.
I attended a High Anglican church before my conversion to the Catholic Church and the laity always received from the chalice.  I remember the rector bought sacramental wine for our Anglican parish from a winery in California who only sold it to churches (Roman, Anglican, Orthodox, Lutheran, etc.).  The wine he purchased tasted just like a semi-dry port or marseille.  The closest I've ever come to sacramental wine commercially is a good semi-dry, highly priced port.  You can find these in most liquor stores or on the internet.  I don't think you can buy sacramental wine unless you buy a minimum -  by the case for example.  I don't see any reason why they wouldn't sell it to you personally - there are many reasons why an individual would buy sacramental wine or have it shipped to a personal address (unless your state has laws against shipping alcohol to personal addresses) - whether it be for his church or his own personal consumption.