I think this is important
Forget about the title of the piece.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/l...clarifies/

According to Vatican Radio, the archbishop explained in the preface that due to the motu proprio's papal origins, it is not just an act of legislation brought about as a "favor" to a specific group for the celebration of the extraordinary form of the Roman Rite, the Mass in Latin, but one that applies to the entire Church.

I think that to those that expected the good Bishop to go quietly in to the night in Rome, they are getting quite a shock.

Also this is good clarification for those that believed that the Pope was merely "sympathetic" to trads and not actively seeking the resurgence of the TLM.
Agree.
This is great news. I pray for a long life for Pope Benedict XVI.

Now... If my Bishop would be convinced of this and allow my 15 year old to receive Confirmation...
Archbishop Burke is great!!! I'm glad he;s stating that the ExtraOrdinary Rite is for every parish not just for those that like it, its part of the universal church.
It is great that he said this.

My bishop will only listen, however, if he gets a direct, unconditional command from the pope that any faithful who request the Mass in this way are to be immediately and conveniently supplied with it.

Of course, really, the pope needs to say Mass the old way himself.  THEN many bishops will work on this.
(08-12-2010, 11:27 PM)Zakhur Wrote: Of course, really, the pope needs to say Mass the old way himself.  THEN many bishops will work on this.

Accordingly, he does, but only in private.
(08-13-2010, 01:14 AM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(08-12-2010, 11:27 PM)Zakhur Wrote: Of course, really, the pope needs to say Mass the old way himself.  THEN many bishops will work on this.

Accordingly, he does, but only in private.

Is this really confirmed?

This rumour has been around for 2 years or so.
(08-12-2010, 06:43 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/l...clarifies/

It implies an obligation of the Church "to preserve liturgical tradition and maintain the legitimate celebration of both forms of the Roman Rite, that preceding the Second Vatican Council and that which followed it," he said.
Archbishop Burke pointed out that the Holy Father himself explained that for the communion of the Church in the past and the future, "universally accepted uses of uninterrupted apostolic tradition" must be observed.

In contrast

Archbishop Burke clarified, however, that the reality of the matter is that neither the presence of girls at the altar, nor the participation of lay faithful "belong to the fundamental rights of the baptized."
(08-13-2010, 11:09 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Is this really confirmed?

This rumour has been around for 2 years or so.

No, the Pope does not celebrate the Tridentine Mass privately. There was some hubbub about this when Bishop Fellay claimed that he did a month or two ago, and the Vatican PR officials quickly denied it.

I personally doubt that the Holy Father has the kind of energy to devote to maintaining two different liturgical calendars on a daily basis. That's one of the many difficulties of being bi-ritual.