Could it possibly be more obvious
(08-17-2010, 08:09 AM)Credo Wrote: As far as my reading goes, these tales are only reported by religious writers. As religious conversion is a major paradigm shift, one should find these happenings reported by secular biographers. They are not. 

Secular biographers downplay Oscar Wilde's great love for the Catholic Church, the Virgin Mary and the papacy. He was baptized conditionally on his deathbed and anointed by  Fr. Dunne, a Passionist priest. There were witnesses. You never read this from the secularists or the gay lobby, who have chosen Wilde as their "poster boy." As if the secular press isn't guilty of slanted reporting! Come on, Credo.
StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:Secular biographers downplay Oscar Wilde's great love for the Catholic Church, the Virgin Mary and the papacy. He was baptized conditionally on his deathbed and anointed by  Fr. Dunne

Was Wilde in the same league as Voltaire or Paine? Yes, he did convert but he was less a lifetime foe of Christianity and more a troubled artist. Wilde is on a different plain than the folk I mentioned. You're correct, however, his conversion is downplayed in some sectors.
edited
(08-17-2010, 08:09 AM)Credo Wrote: 2) As far as my reading goes, these tales are only reported by religious writers. As religious conversion is a major paradigm shift, one should find these happenings reported by secular biographers. They are not.

Your reasoning wrongly assumes that secular biographers are free from prejudice regarding religious phenomena.
(08-16-2010, 11:07 PM)The Catholic Thinker Wrote:
(08-16-2010, 10:29 PM)Credo Wrote: I can't believe Catholics can intellectually countenance websites like the one cited in the original post. That the authors of "Luther, Exposing the Myth" * chose the most unattractive depiction of Martin Luther at the head of the page should have been a dead giveaway of the site's worth. The oversimplification in the "Christ taught"/""Luther taught" set-up should have raised alarms as well. The very least the website creators could have done was give a synopsis of the larger context's of Christ's and Luther's respective quotes.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I can't believe any good Catholic would ignore the pertinent information of the site to focus on minutia utterly irrelevant to the discussion. 

Every single one of these quotes is preposterous, blasphemous, or both, and every single one of them - dozens - is documented.  Do you have any input at all on the actual matter?
(08-17-2010, 01:27 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(08-17-2010, 08:09 AM)Credo Wrote: 2) As far as my reading goes, these tales are only reported by religious writers. As religious conversion is a major paradigm shift, one should find these happenings reported by secular biographers. They are not.

Your reasoning wrongly assumes that secular biographers are free from prejudice regarding religious phenomena.

I think Credo's influences may tell him that those infected with the poison of religion tend to be far less objective than those who put their trust in reason.  

Credo, if you don't outright admire that bitter, hateful, illogical atheist Mr. Hitchens, you sure come across as such.
edited
I'll PM him.
Pretty interesting stuff.  The more I read about Protestantism the more it makes me scratch my head and wonder why it's still around.

Does FE ever get Protestants on the forum?
The Catholic Thinker Wrote:Do you have any input at all on the actual matter?

Yes. Perhaps you didn't read my post. My initial input was that the scholarship on the site was sloppy. The editors copied and pasted quotes from Luther and Christ without giving any context. If the Catholic critique of Protestantism is the common use of biblical verses in a vacuum, then Catholics cannot do the same when it's convenient for us.

Quote:Credo, if you don't outright admire that bitter, hateful, illogical atheist Mr. Hitchens, you sure come across as such.

It is no secret that I do like some of the work of Mr. Hitchens.

StrictCatholicGirl, the quote has been altered. You three posts and one Private Message were not necessary.