Could it possibly be more obvious
(08-18-2010, 08:51 PM)The Catholic Thinker Wrote: You are someone who needs our prayers.

I don't think any of us couldn't use the same.
(08-18-2010, 09:16 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(08-18-2010, 08:51 PM)The Catholic Thinker Wrote: You are someone who needs our prayers.

I don't think any of us couldn't use the same.

Well, that's true indeed, but not in the sense I meant it.
(08-18-2010, 07:06 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: How do these words contradict lutheran teaching?

Luther taught private, individual interpretation of Sacred Scripture.  It is a Protestant tenet that the Scriptures are self-attesting and, with the help of the Holy Ghost, a person can interpret Sacred Scripture.  His last written words say the exact opposite.
(08-18-2010, 11:15 PM)DJR Wrote:
(08-18-2010, 07:06 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: How do these words contradict lutheran teaching?

Luther taught private, individual interpretation of Sacred Scripture.  It is a Protestant tenet that the Scriptures are self-attesting and, with the help of the Holy Ghost, a person can interpret Sacred Scripture.  His last written words say the exact opposite.

Indeed, given that sola fide and sola scriptura are the two pillars upon which Protestantism was built, that is quite something.  (And sola fide is now denied by a fair number of Protestant sects, who have come to realize how anti-Scriptural, anti-tradition, and sort of nonsensical it is.  I know this became a fairly contentious point among them in the 80s and 90s.)

If there was one thing about Luther that was consistent perhaps it was his inconsistency, to the point of incoherence.  A philosophical work I finished not long ago (I'd have to dig it up to get the title) pointed out that Luther was among a tiny number of Christian theologians who sided with Islam in the teaching that God Himself is incoherent: He does not Himself respect the rules of logic.  Thus, He could choose to both exist and not exist.  I think it's difficult to describe in words how incoherent a mind itself must be to believe such a thing.  This gives an insight into Luther's thought processes.
(08-19-2010, 12:32 AM)The Catholic Thinker Wrote: Indeed, given that sola fide and sola scriptura are the two pillars upon which Protestantism was built, that is quite something.  (And sola fide is now denied by a fair number of Protestant sects, who have come to realize how anti-Scriptural, anti-tradition, and sort of nonsensical it is.  I know this became a fairly contentious point among them in the 80s and 90s.) If there was one thing about Luther that was consistent perhaps it was his inconsistency, to the point of incoherence.  A philosophical work I finished not long ago (I'd have to dig it up to get the title) pointed out that Luther was among a tiny number of Christian theologians who sided with Islam in the teaching that God Himself is incoherent: He does not Himself respect the rules of logic.  Thus, He could choose to both exist and not exist.  I think it's difficult to describe in words how incoherent a mind itself must be to believe such a thing.  This gives an insight into Luther's thought processes.

And let's not forget Luther's promotion of bigamy.  In that regard, he came in handy for Philip of Hesse.  How anyone in his right mind could think that Luther was any kind of "reformer" is beyond me.
(08-19-2010, 01:01 AM)DJR Wrote: And let's not forget Luther's promotion of bigamy.  In that regard, he came in handy for Philip of Hesse.  How anyone in his right mind could think that Luther was any kind of "reformer" is beyond me.

Yeah.. he 'reformed' in the sense the bull reforms the china shop.  A very egotistical, hedonistic bull, that is.

BTW, did anybody else suddenly stop getting email notifications of thread updates?  I did.