Refusing treatment from healthcare professionals of the opposite gender
(08-23-2010, 12:22 PM)amasimp Wrote: I prefer male doctors and all my OB/GYNs have been men.  In all instances where I was examined a female nurse was in the room to assist.  I wonder if that is a policy or just good industry practice.

Probably best practices, because if there are no witnesses...
(08-23-2010, 12:35 PM)3Sanctus Wrote: I haven't had a female doctor/nurse do anything personal  since I was young (I think still in elementary school), but I'd feel weird being "examined" down there by someone who is possibly attracted to me.  Not that it doesn't feel awkward having a male doctor telling you to turn and cough, but at least the worst thing he's feeling is the same awkwardness.

You don't think a male doctor could be attracted to you? I have a (male)friend who will only see female massage therapists for that reason, "If they do enjoy touching me at least it's a woman."
(08-23-2010, 01:49 PM)kimbaichan Wrote:
(08-23-2010, 12:35 PM)3Sanctus Wrote: I haven't had a female doctor/nurse do anything personal  since I was young (I think still in elementary school), but I'd feel weird being "examined" down there by someone who is possibly attracted to me.  Not that it doesn't feel awkward having a male doctor telling you to turn and cough, but at least the worst thing he's feeling is the same awkwardness.

You don't think a male doctor could be attracted to you? I have a (male)friend who will only see female massage therapists for that reason, "If they do enjoy touching me at least it's a woman."

I personally would want to go to a male massage therapist for the sole reason they are usually stronger. I have known many massage therapists and they get over this in both directions quite quickly. They are focused on the therapy, not the attractiveness or ugliness of the person.
Absolutely, I was referring to the client, not the attitude of the therapist.
(08-23-2010, 01:49 PM)kimbaichan Wrote:

I figure the chances of my male doctor (who is a retired Naval Officer with a family who seems pretty heterosexual to me) being homosexual are probably lower than the chances of a female doctor I go to being heterosexual.
(08-22-2010, 09:45 PM)dark lancer Wrote: On the other hand you could have a male physician delivering your baby and saying things like "oh it's not that painful."

I seriously doubt that would ever happen.

Edit: I didn't realize there was another page and other people responded to this. A friend of mine made a point once that a man will not make assumptions about the pain of childbirth because he'll never experience it, but a woman who has experienced it might think "I went through it and survived." But it go the other way, too, I suppose.
I've had four babies delivered by male ob/gyn's and 5 delivered by a woman ob/gyn.  I liked the one male a lot - he was a soft-spoken very gentle Cuban.  But he was of the old school and always gave episiotomies, even if they weren't necessary.  When I went for my fifth pregnancy in a new town, I had a woman doctor who insisted that after 4 babies I did not need an episiotomy and helped me along during delivery with techniques I won't go into...but I never had an ep again.  And women tend to have smaller hands.....

My husband's regular general doctor recently sold his practice to a woman.  Needless to say, husband did not want a female doctor examining him...

Christina
I don't think there is any reason to refuse treatment, but there is also no reason not to go with your preference.  Pick the doctor you want.

But there is no sin of immodesty or anything for a male to be examined by a female, or vice-versa. 
(08-17-2010, 05:20 PM)JayneK Wrote: I prefer male doctors.  I had a bad experience with a pro-abortion feminist obstetrician once.  Rationally I know that male doctors could be infected with feminism too, but I just feel better.  I guess I think of them as more dedicated to their profession and more competent too.

I agree.  The one female doctor I have had was horrid.  She was very much the "I've never had a menstral cramp so you're making this up" type.  She also refused to call me or my mother back (I was in high school) when I had an ear infection so bad that my face was swollen.  I ended up calling my father's doctor, who saw me an hour later and saved what was left of my hearing in the left ear (the lady doc had once given anti-hystamines for previous infections and my hearing is just barely too good in that ear to need an aid).  In my experence, female doctors are not good at listening to the patient about what is going on.
(08-23-2010, 09:45 PM)OCLittleFlower Wrote:
(08-17-2010, 05:20 PM)JayneK Wrote: I prefer male doctors.  I had a bad experience with a pro-abortion feminist obstetrician once.  Rationally I know that male doctors could be infected with feminism too, but I just feel better.  I guess I think of them as more dedicated to their profession and more competent too.

I agree.  The one female doctor I have had was horrid.  She was very much the "I've never had a menstral cramp so you're making this up" type.  She also refused to call me or my mother back (I was in high school) when I had an ear infection so bad that my face was swollen.  I ended up calling my father's doctor, who saw me an hour later and saved what was left of my hearing in the left ear (the lady doc had once given anti-hystamines for previous infections and my hearing is just barely too good in that ear to need an aid).  In my experence, female doctors are not good at listening to the patient about what is going on.
Have you had other bad experiences with female docs?