Refusing treatment from healthcare professionals of the opposite gender
(08-23-2010, 12:22 PM)amasimp Wrote: I prefer male doctors and all my OB/GYNs have been men.  In all instances where I was examined a female nurse was in the room to assist.  I wonder if that is a policy or just good industry practice.

Standard practice to avoid problems although I was assaulted by a male gyn when I was 17 and the female u/s tech that witnessed it just stood there watching and then apologized after he left the room.
In hindsight, I should have kicked him.
(08-24-2010, 10:25 AM)mom Wrote:
(08-23-2010, 12:22 PM)amasimp Wrote: I prefer male doctors and all my OB/GYNs have been men.  In all instances where I was examined a female nurse was in the room to assist.  I wonder if that is a policy or just good industry practice.

Standard practice to avoid problems although I was assaulted by a male gyn when I was 17 and the female u/s tech that witnessed it just stood there watching and then apologized after he left the room.
In hindsight, I should have kicked him.

Wow...I'm so sorry that happened to you.  I don't know what to say really....
The best solution to this dilemma is, of course, to not get sick or injured!
(08-25-2010, 07:15 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: The best solution to this dilemma is, of course, to not get sick or injured!

Or be a hermaphrodite.
(08-25-2010, 10:24 AM)Stephanos Wrote:
(08-25-2010, 07:15 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: The best solution to this dilemma is, of course, to not get sick or injured!

Or be a hermaphrodite.

I'll take option #1.
(08-25-2010, 11:27 AM)kimbaichan Wrote:
(08-25-2010, 10:24 AM)Stephanos Wrote:

Or be a hermaphrodite.

I'll take option #1.

Yep, option #1 sounds best.
I really don't think it matters going to an ob/gyn because they always give you this very unsexy paper dress to wear which hides all your curves, and every part of you is hidden except for what the doc is working on.  I actually experience more discomfort in the dentist's chair with a man.  It's very intimate having someone so close to your face, with their fingers in your mouth.  I find that very nerve-wracking regardless but it helps me a bit if the dentist is female.

Or pregnant!  :laughing:

(08-16-2010, 10:17 PM)Satori Wrote: I think that's wrong, and that when it comes to bathing and other matters of personal hygiene, if it is at all possible they should have someone of the same sex, especially women, who feel very vulnerable in that kind of situation.

I do not want to be bathed by a dude.  I would rather have a woman.
(08-29-2010, 01:10 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:
(08-16-2010, 10:17 PM)Satori Wrote: I think that's wrong, and that when it comes to bathing and other matters of personal hygiene, if it is at all possible they should have someone of the same sex, especially women, who feel very vulnerable in that kind of situation.

I do not want to be bathed by a dude.  I would rather have a woman.

I'm lucky enough to have a wife who has had a lot of experience working in rest homes and such. If I ever need bathing I can get my wife to do it, as she knows what she's doing. That'd be ideal, as far as comfort zones go lol...