Top Five Beers
I find my taste in beer changes mostly with the seasons.  As a rule of thumb: lighter beers in the hot and humid Kansas summers, fuller beers in the cold and bitter Kansas winters.

I am primarily a lagerophile, defending the much-maligned lager beer from the misplaced snobbery of pack-followers who blindly slobber over whatever trendy "craft brew" cookie-cutter IPA or Pale Ale is the over-hopped bière-du-jour made by some mid-20's hipster in his parents' basement.

Not that I'm against a fine top-fermented brew.  Just that most of them are just as indistinguishable as the next glass of amber-hued ale.  I'd rather have a thick malty pint of lager, slowly fermented under careful conditions that show a true brewer's skill, than a "local blah blah blah pale ale" run over roughshod with the heavy hand of hops.  Localism is fine, except when it is a way to mask poor taste in the guise of good taste.
I like stouts.  Not a big fan of pale ales, really, but I do like them on occasion. 
I like stuff from New Belgium Brewing, Leinie's, and Shiner. Alhambra, Guinness (whether export or original), etc., are some good imports.
(08-27-2010, 11:56 PM)Walty Wrote: There are so many different categories of beer that it's hard for me to make a top-5 overall.  There are straight up ales, stouts, porters, expensive lagers, cheap lagers/pilsners, IPAs etc. 

Best "nicer" big name type beers: Guinness Stout,  Smithwicks, Newcastle, Leffe Blonde, Hoegaarden, and Blue Moon.

Best crappy lager beers: PBR, Miller High Life, Old Style, and Red Stripe.

Leinenkugel's (Creamy Dark, Red, and Honey Weiss), New Glarus Spotted Cow, and Delirium are some great microbrews and imports that come to mind too.  There's just so much stuff out there though.

You have good taste Blue Moon is my all time favorite.
(08-29-2010, 03:17 AM)Walty Wrote: I take it you really like IPAs?

I guess so? As long as it isn't too hoppy or too bitter, I'll probably like it. Although, I probably have a lower tolerance for hops and bitters than most beer drinkers do.

Quote:
Quote:Best crappy lager beers: PBR, Miller High Life, Old Style, and Red Stripe.

PBR, bleh. Hispter.

Eh, yeah, I guess, but it's still a good crappy beer even if you're not a hipster.  That's how it won the Blue Ribbon like 90 years ago.[/quote]

I'm just kidding. I'd take a PBR over (pardon the phrase) cheap college piss beer any day. Miller High Life is decent, but a good Coors Original is better, I think. Plus, the mountains on the can turn blue when it's cold. Nothing like a novelty to make crappy beer taste better.

Quote:
Quote:Leinenkugel's (Creamy Dark, Red, and Honey Weiss),

Have you tried Leinenkugel's Raspberry Weiss beer? It's almost like drinking a soda.

I have to admit, I've never particularly enjoyed Guiness. I have heard though, that the way to tell if your Guiness has been poured properly is to write your initial (or anything really) on the head. If you see what you've written at the bottom of the glass when you're done drinking the beer, you've had a properly poured Guiness. Anyway, that's what I hear.

I haven't had the Raspberry.  I think it might be a bit too sweet for me.  If you ever get to Wisconsin, make sure to have a New Glarus Spotted Cow.  It's one of the best beers in the country (specifically if you like something with a little fruit taste).

I haven't ever heard about that Guinness trick.  There is a definite way to tell whether your Guinness has been poured correctly, however, even before you drink it.  Ideally, the Guinness has to set up for 5-10 minutes after pouring. If it's served in a glass you hit the side with a coin.  In the beginning it'll sound like a coin hitting a glass, but when it's set up it has a distinctly tinny sound.  Maybe it's all Irish blarney, but people swear by it and I really think you can hear a difference.  Guinness has to be done well to really get the full experience.
[/quote]

I should probably give Guinness another try.

(08-29-2010, 04:53 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: I am primarily a lagerophile, defending the much-maligned lager beer from the misplaced snobbery of pack-followers who blindly slobber over whatever trendy "craft brew" cookie-cutter IPA or Pale Ale is the over-hopped bière-du-jour made by some mid-20's hipster in his parents' basement.

Shut. Up.

Just kidding, of course. You make a fair point.

It seems like Wisconsin is a state with a lot of craft and micro breweries, yes? There are a few in New York, too, and a handful here in good ole Delaware, believe it or not. Any other parts of the country that are known for their beer production?

WRC's anti-snobbery is far more pretentious than Wisconsin micro-brews.  Either that or he's never tasted anything coming out of New Glarus.

The greatest beer tragedy as that the two nationally known beers that came out of my little hometown closed up before I could ever taste them.  Anyone ever have a Chief Oshkosh or People's Beer?
I tend to like Lagers. Lately, I have been preferring Red Stripe.

Hurray!

(08-27-2010, 11:56 PM)Walty Wrote: There are so many different categories of beer that it's hard for me to make a top-5 overall.  There are straight up ales, stouts, porters, expensive lagers, cheap lagers/pilsners, IPAs etc. 

Best "nicer" big name type beers: Guinness Stout,  Smithwicks, Newcastle, Leffe Blonde, Hoegaarden, and Blue Moon.

Leinenkugel's (Creamy Dark, Red, and Honey Weiss), New Glarus Spotted Cow, and Delirium are some great microbrews and imports that come to mind too.  There's just so much stuff out there though.
Walty i didnt notice Yuengling Lager did you everhave?
(08-31-2010, 06:44 PM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote:

Walty i didnt notice Yuengling Lager did you everhave?

Yuengling is really popular out here on the east coast but I don't know if I had ever even heard of it back in the midwest.  I've had it a few times, but I can't remember what I thought.  It must not have made a very strong impression either way.  I know it's a go-to beer for a lot of people though.
(08-31-2010, 08:36 PM)Walty Wrote: Yuengling is really popular out here on the east coast but I don't know if I had ever even heard of it back in the midwest.  I've had it a few times, but I can't remember what I thought.  It must not have made a very strong impression either way.  I know it's a go-to beer for a lot of people though.

Yuengling is a good go-to beer if your only other option is Bud Light or something like that. It's not bad, but it's also not great. It's true that it is really popular here on the east coast. I had assumed it was well known nationally, but I guess it isn't. Yuengling was started in Pottsville, PA, so I guess it makes sense that it's more popular here. A friend of mine who usually drinks wine or whiskey asked to try my Yuengling once, and when he took a sip he said, "Oh. It's bread." That pretty much sums up Yuengling, haha.
Oh yes the bread of life but thats all beer