Poll: Is it sinful for a Catholic to get a tattoo?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Tattoos
(09-08-2010, 07:48 PM)dark lancer Wrote:
(09-08-2010, 07:38 PM)Walty Wrote: What if I want to see it?

Then it would have to be on your front from the pectorals down or on your arms.  But why suffer when you can just buy a really good icon of the Sacred Heart and meditate before it?

Then again you could get a cross tattooed to the palm of your left hand.  Hold it in front of your face whenever you pray.

It's the permanence and intimacy of the thing.  Tattooing something of Our Lord on ourselves can be a reminder and a sign of our unity with Him, and one which is much more significant and personal than an icon which hangs on a wall.  I'm thinking of getting the chi-rho on my wrist.  It would be a constant reminder that my life is God's, not my own, and that He is my natural end and the only thing in which I will find happiness and peace.  Furthermore, the act of permanently inking myself with that sign is hopefully a constant reminder of my hope in a true and full union with Him in the eschaton. 
(09-08-2010, 08:44 PM)Walty Wrote:

Then it would have to be on your front from the pectorals down or on your arms.  But why suffer when you can just buy a really good icon of the Sacred Heart and meditate before it?

Then again you could get a cross tattooed to the palm of your left hand.  Hold it in front of your face whenever you pray.

It's the permanence and intimacy of the thing.  Tattooing something of Our Lord on ourselves can be a reminder and a sign of our unity with Him, and one which is much more significant and personal than an icon which hangs on a wall.  I'm thinking of getting the chi-rho on my wrist.  It would be a constant reminder that my life is God's, not my own, and that He is my natural end and the only thing in which I will find happiness and peace.

Like I said, is there really a special place in Heaven for people who got novelty body art depicting some religious thing?  Are they superior to the saints?
(09-08-2010, 08:45 PM)dark lancer Wrote:

It's the permanence and intimacy of the thing.  Tattooing something of Our Lord on ourselves can be a reminder and a sign of our unity with Him, and one which is much more significant and personal than an icon which hangs on a wall.  I'm thinking of getting the chi-rho on my wrist.  It would be a constant reminder that my life is God's, not my own, and that He is my natural end and the only thing in which I will find happiness and peace.

Like I said, is there really a special place in Heaven for people who got novelty body art depicting some religious thing?  Are they superior to the saints?

Are you reading these posts?  When did I ever say that someone with a tattoo is better than the saints?
(09-08-2010, 08:46 PM)Walty Wrote:

Are you reading these posts?  When did I ever say that someone with a tattoo is better than the saints?

Are you even reading your own or are you posting from 4chan?
(09-08-2010, 08:48 PM)dark lancer Wrote:

I don't know what that means.    Look, I'm not saying that having a tattoo is some sort of mark of holiness.  In fact, my desire to get a tattoo is directly related to my own sinfulness and lack of holiness.  Now, as far as I understand, there is no official Church teaching within the realm of moral theology which prohibits tattooing.  On the contrary, where it is spoken of it is allowed under certain conditions.  Apart from that, only I can know my intentionality, and likewise with anyone who gets a religious tattoo.  You can label people hypocrites all you want but I'd be darn sure that you're positive of that type of accusation before you start throwing it around and letting it color your interpretations of the actions of others'. 
(09-08-2010, 08:57 PM)Walty Wrote:
(09-08-2010, 08:48 PM)dark lancer Wrote:

I don't know what that means.    Look, I'm not saying that having a tattoo is some sort of mark of holiness.  In fact, my desire to get a tattoo is directly related to my own sinfulness and lack of holiness.  Now, as far as I understand, there is no official Church teaching within the realm of moral theology which prohibits tattooing.  On the contrary, where it is spoken of it is allowed under certain conditions.  Apart from that, only I can know my intentionality, and likewise with anyone who gets a religious tattoo.  You can label people hypocrites all you want but I'd be darn sure that you're positive of that type of accusation before you start throwing it around and letting it color your interpretations of the actions of others'. 

Remember God?  He will be the one to determine whether you are being a hypocrite or not.

I'm only pointing out that getting a tattoo is hypocritical because you're obviously not going to be staring at it all day long, so that leaves the sole purpose of getting it to show off to other people.  Nothing can be more obvious.
(09-08-2010, 08:41 PM)dark lancer Wrote: Is the quote spam really necessary?

Yeah, quote spammers, quit drawing attention to yourselves LOL!  (by the way, the last one made me dizzy)
(09-08-2010, 08:57 PM)Walty Wrote: Look, I'm not saying that having a tattoo is some sort of mark of holiness.  In fact, my desire to get a tattoo is directly related to my own sinfulness and lack of holiness.  Now, as far as I understand, there is no official Church teaching within the realm of moral theology which prohibits tattooing.  On the contrary, where it is spoken of it is allowed under certain conditions.  Apart from that, only I can know my intentionality, and likewise with anyone who gets a religious tattoo.  You can label people hypocrites all you want but I'd be darn sure that you're positive of that type of accusation before you start throwing it around and letting it color your interpretations of the actions of others'. 

Religion and hypocrisy aside, you have to be practical. Maybe having a tattoo is perfectly acceptable these days. I don't know. I was married to a sailor and he had tattoos all over his arms. After he left the navy, his tattoos didn't keep him from getting jobs because he worked as a shipyard welder where all the other men had tattoos too. But if you're looking for a job in an office or a school - a tattoo, especially a religious one, might keep you from getting hired.. So if you must have a tattoo, I wouldn't get it in a place where everyone can see it, in which case why bother getting one at all?
I have a tattoo on my wrist and it's usually covered by a watch.
Also, at the last job I had in an office the receptionist had full sleeves on her arms. They were very "feminine" designs and no one who came in seemed to mind. I think it's so common now that most people are just curious.
This might be a bit too much information but I can see a religious tattoo on the wrists/hands really helping a lot of young men who struggle with maintaining chastity. St. Paul suggested cutting hands off, but I think getting a tattoo of Our Lord or Lady might be a bit easier. Kind of like the St Joseph cord worn around the waist.

For myself I've always wanted to have the words fiat mihi secundum verbum tuum tattooed across my lower arm as both a tribute to Our Lady and a reminder that I must always be willing to conform my imperfect human will to His perfect will if I ever want to attain peace in this world and salvation in the next.