Poll: Is it sinful for a Catholic to get a tattoo?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Tattoos
Now make that 4 :hello!:
From everything I've read, tattoos are sinful. the reasoning goes our body is a gift from God, a temple for the Holy Ghost and not ours to disfigure. Tattoos call attention to ourselves, thus are instruments of pride. Also many are placed on areas of the skin that should remain unseen and are thus immodest.

Personnally I find them disgusting, particularly on women, which seems to be all the rage these days. I believe women are God's lovliest creation, and when I see an otherwise attractive one sporting tattoos, to me it's like smearing dung on the Mona Lisa.

No thanks.
Let's try it like this:

(09-01-2010, 09:42 AM)cunctas_haereses Wrote: From everything I've read, pierced ears are sinful. the reasoning goes our body is a gift from God, a temple for the Holy Ghost and not ours to disfigure. Pierced ears call attention to ourselves, thus are instruments of pride. 

Now it sounds kind of pentecostal but it makes just as much sense as using these same objections against tattoos.
cunctas_haereses Wrote:Also many are placed on areas of the skin that should remain unseen and are thus immodest.

Boo for tattoos, but may I ask why there are areas of skin which should remain unseen?
(09-01-2010, 11:29 AM)Credo Wrote:
cunctas_haereses Wrote:Also many are placed on areas of the skin that should remain unseen and are thus immodest.

Boo for tattoos, but may I ask why there are areas of skin which should remain unseen?

Ever hear of the "tramp stamp" tattoo?  The idea is that, for where that tattoo's located, the only way it's visible to others is if the woman's dressed, frankly, like a tramp.  If a woman's got a tattoo ON HER BREAST, how's that not immodest?  No one should be seeing it, yet what point is there to a tattoo besides to be seen?
(09-01-2010, 06:39 PM)JesusFreak84 Wrote: No one should be seeing it, yet what point is there to a tattoo besides to be seen?

I can see every one of my tattoos but no one else can unless I'm intimate with them, there's you point.
Yeah that's the point I'm making, more or less.
(09-01-2010, 06:49 PM)JesusFreak84 Wrote: Yeah that's the point I'm making, more or less.

Cool, so can I assume you're pro-tattoo now, so long as we tattooed women don't go around flashing our breasts at strangers?
I'd still advise against it if one were asking me if they specifically should get one, but as I said in my first post, it's something with the *potential* to be sinful, such as under the circumstances I outlined there (and most of those reasons can probably be generally categorized as offenses against charity, more than anything.  Even if the act is morally neutral, it can become at least venially sinful if one does it with poor intent.)
JesusFreak84 Wrote:Ever hear of the "tramp stamp" tattoo?

Yes.

Quote:The idea is that, for where that tattoo's located, the only way it's visible to others is if the woman's dressed, frankly, like a tramp.

Most of the tramps I've seen tend to dress more like this::

[Image: BagLadyPat2.jpg]

Quote:If a woman's got a tattoo ON HER BREAST, how's that not immodest?

Prideful maybe. What does immodest mean? I've never met a breast I didn't like.