Poll: Is it sinful for a Catholic to get a tattoo?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Tattoos
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tramp Wrote:–noun
the act of tramping.
a firm, heavy, resounding tread.
the sound made by such a tread.
a long, steady walk; trudge.
a walking excursion or expedition; hike.
a person who travels on foot from place to place, esp. a vagabond living on occasional Jobs or gifts of money or food.
a sexually promiscuous woman; prostitute.

a freight vessel that does not run regularly between fixed ports, but takes a cargo wherever shippers desire. Compare cargo liner.
a piece of iron affixed to the sole of a shoe.

A "tramp stamp" is the mark a pimp puts on one of his/her prostitutes to mark them as under his protection.

That said, tattoos are sinful if they are put in a place that may potentially arouse lustful feelings in others or contains sinful depictions.

If it's not a sinful tattoo by virtue of its location or depiction, it's just something people put on themselves to call attention to them.  They look pretty stupid.

Thinking about getting a religious tattoo?  Consider Matthew 6:5:  "And when ye pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, that love to stand and pray in the synagogues and corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men: Amen I say to you, they have received their reward."

What I like to do is ask people to which tribe they belong whenever they show off their tribal tattoos.
Also fun is people who get Asian tattoos.  Reading Japanese makes this funnier.  :P
(09-01-2010, 08:25 PM)JesusFreak84 Wrote: Also fun is people who get Asian tattoos.  Reading Japanese makes this funnier.  :P

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.  It's about as dumb as wearing a tribal tattoo that is not affiliated with any actual tribe.
How much do tattoos cost?  Considering the corporal works of mercy, don’t the hungry need feeding more than someone else needs to decorate their body?

I once met an Evangelical who had "WWJD" tattooed on his wrist.  I guess he figured ol’ Jesus would’ve gotten a tattoo.
JesusFreak84 Wrote:Reading Japanese makes this funnier.  :P

Having a basic reading proficiency in Latin, I have the same reaction when people get tattoos in that tongue.
(09-01-2010, 08:27 PM)dark lancer Wrote:
(09-01-2010, 08:25 PM)JesusFreak84 Wrote: Also fun is people who get Asian tattoos.  Reading Japanese makes this funnier.  :P

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.  It's about as dumb as wearing a tribal tattoo that is not affiliated with any actual tribe.

Are you two against all cultural appropriation or is this new found liberalism because you really just don't like tattoos?
(09-01-2010, 08:39 PM)Credo Wrote:
JesusFreak84 Wrote:Reading Japanese makes this funnier.  :P

Having a basic reading proficiency in Latin, I have the same reaction when people get tattoos in that tongue.

I've never seen a tattoo in Latin, what kinds of words or phrases do they usually get?
A traditional Ethiopian tattoo.
[Image: ethiopian-cross-tattoo.jpg]

I have been told by my dentist, an older Chaldean Catholic gentleman, that it was quite common even thirty-odd years ago for Chaldeans in Iraq to wear tattoos of the cross on the underside of the wrist. My memory's a bit foggy, but I believe he said that certain situations required him to conceal his with shirt cuffs.
It's more that people will just trust what the tattoo artist SAYS this or that kanji means, not check it for themselves, and then be amazed when someone who can actually read that language tells them what it really means rather than what they thought it means.  (Such as this comic :P http://tinyurl.com/2vexco3 )
kimbaichan Wrote:I've never seen a tattoo in Latin, what kinds of words or phrases do they usually get?

Such works usually express virile sentiments. (This is a hidden compliment to the allure of Latin even in this day and age.) For example, there was a guy I worked with a few years ago who believed he had a tattoo of Truth. I forget what word it was now, but it definitely wasn't Truth. Most recently, and most puzzling, another fellow I know inscribed, "Or peace, or war" into himself. I think the last chap was going for something along the lines of, "Chose peace or war." Live and learn.