Poll: Is it sinful for a Catholic to get a tattoo?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Tattoos
(10-09-2010, 03:04 AM)ruralpeace Wrote: People are nuts because they do not see the reason a Catholic (in the traditional sense) would want a tattoo these days? I wonder what St. Augustine would say to that line of reasoning? Or St. John of the Cross... Or St. Pio... Or our Blessed Mother...

+JMJ+

In a great sense it has nothing to do with religion...and in a sense it does.  You, and your buds still have to make the argument against tattoos that I have told all y'all exists...and not one of you has made....but don't get to heady with it if you finally find it...because I already have the response....

St. Aug. St John Our Lady probably would not care over much (they would know the real argument against, but understand the mitigating cultural usage that is now prevailing) ...Pio is another case as the guy was a bit of a kook.

So your post above makes no sense...the way it really reads is

"People are nuts because they do not agree with my personal opinion why Caholics (in a traditional sense...LOL) would want a tattoo these days?"

"These days"...there you have the answer
(10-10-2010, 01:08 AM)Scipio_a Wrote:
(10-09-2010, 03:04 AM)ruralpeace Wrote: People are nuts because they do not see the reason a Catholic (in the traditional sense) would want a tattoo these days? I wonder what St. Augustine would say to that line of reasoning? Or St. John of the Cross... Or St. Pio... Or our Blessed Mother...

+JMJ+

In a great sense it has nothing to do with religion...and in a sense it does.  You, and your buds still have to make the argument against tattoos that I have told all y'all exists...and not one of you has made....but don't get to heady with it if you finally find it...because I already have the response....

St. Aug. St John Our Lady probably would not care over much (they would know the real argument against, but understand the mitigating cultural usage that is now prevailing) ...Pio is another case as the guy was a bit of a kook.

So your post above makes no sense...the way it really reads is

"People are nuts because they do not agree with my personal opinion why Caholics (in a traditional sense...LOL) would want a tattoo these days?"

"These days"...there you have the answer

Tattoos are simply a way of saying "hey!  look at me!  I spent money for someone to draw a picture on my body!"

If it's perverted, it's sinful.
If it's religious, then you are no different than a Pharisee praying in a public place so that he can be praised for his pretend piety.
If it's to dedicate a deceased relative or friend, you're seeking pity and sympathy.
If it's anything else, it will not retain any interest (the new car effect).

If you want a tattoo, get one that isn't permanent.
(10-10-2010, 01:21 AM)dark lancer Wrote: Tattoos are simply a way of saying "hey!  look at me!  I spent money for someone to draw a picture on my body!"

If it's religious, then you are no different than a Pharisee praying in a public place so that he can be praised for his pretend piety.
If it's to dedicate a deceased relative or friend, you're seeking pity and sympathy.

And if no one but you can see it, then your theory doesn't apply.

Quote:If you want a tattoo, get one that isn't permanent.

If you're going to get a tattoo, don't be a mouse - get the real thing, and quit being a poser.
(10-10-2010, 01:25 AM)Texican Wrote:
(10-10-2010, 01:21 AM)dark lancer Wrote: Tattoos are simply a way of saying "hey!  look at me!  I spent money for someone to draw a picture on my body!"

And if no one but you can see it, then your theory doesn't apply.

Quote:If you want a tattoo, get one that isn't permanent.

If you're going to get a tattoo, don't be a mouse - get the real thing, and quit being a poser.

If no one can see the tattoo, then you wasted your money.

Following your logic, how is a temporary tattoo any different?
If you say so.
(10-10-2010, 01:28 AM)piabee Wrote:

Following your logic, how is a temporary tattoo any different?

Because if you really have to follow a fad, at least you won't regret it twenty years later.
(10-10-2010, 01:29 AM)dark lancer Wrote: Because if you really have to follow a fad, at least you won't regret it twenty years later.

So you're saying that getting a tattoo isn't necessarily sinful?
(10-10-2010, 01:30 AM)piabee Wrote:
(10-10-2010, 01:29 AM)dark lancer Wrote: Because if you really have to follow a fad, at least you won't regret it twenty years later.

Temporary tattoos do not involve scarring and mutilating the body and have a lesser folly factor than permanent tattooing.
(10-10-2010, 01:32 AM)dark lancer Wrote:
(10-10-2010, 01:30 AM)piabee Wrote:

Temporary tattoos do not involve scarring and mutilating the body and have a lesser folly factor than permanent tattooing.

I thought your main argument was vanity.