Poll: Is it sinful for a Catholic to get a tattoo?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Tattoos
the fact is I don't care if you answer me or not.  There are folks of substantial ability that I am more interested in their answer...such as Stevus.  He is thoughtful, albeit long winded at times, and can give a serious, non-opinion based respones...that is what I am looking for...not Telemaque and Telemaque Jr.
(10-10-2010, 02:45 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: the fact is I don't care if you answer me or not.  There are folks of substantial ability that I am more interested in their answer...such as Stevus.  He is thoughtful, albeit long winded at times, and can give a serious, non-opinion based respones...that is what I am looking for...not Telemaque and Telemaque Jr.

Almost all of my posts are serious and derived from reason.
not on this thread...
(10-10-2010, 01:21 AM)dark lancer Wrote: Tattoos are simply a way of saying "hey!  look at me!  I spent money for someone to draw a picture on my body!"
A man at work has a few tattoos. A few are visible when he wears short sleeves. They are (the ones I see) the names of his children. They do not stand out. It isn't so simple is it?

Quote:If it's religious, then you are no different than a Pharisee praying in a public place so that he can be praised for his pretend piety.
There is nothing wrong with praying in public. The point was the intent of prayer. Praying to be seen praying was condemned, not just being seen praying.

Quote:If it's to dedicate a deceased relative or friend, you're seeking pity and sympathy.
I know a person who got a tattoo because his dead brother had the same one. It was a simple tattoo easily missed. He got it not for other people, but for himself. Do not simplify the grief of others.

Quote:If you want a tattoo, get one that isn't permanent.

From one who almost mandated that tattoos be removed, this is strange, as you seemed to think all tattoos were not permanent.
"People are nuts because they do not agree with my personal opinion why Caholics (in a traditional sense...LOL) would want a tattoo these days?"

Scipio a:

You are the one calling people nuts. Not I.

You, who call St. Pio a kook? Whatever facts, "logic" or answers you possess.... I have no interest in. In the grand scheme of things, tattoos will not get us to Heaven. No matter the "times". Not certain calling St. Pio "a  kook" will get someone Home, either.  Just an opinion, of course. I just don't see the logic on calling a Saint a kook. A bit risky, methinks... But I don't want to derail the thread.

"Learn of me, because I am meek, and humble of heart." Matthew 14:29 

+JMJ+
If tattoos are sinful because of vanity, temporary tattoos are worse.  They are inherently about attracting attention since they are placed on the skin long enough to get the attention, then gone before they become something the person has to live with.  A real tattoo at least is a serious lifelong decision.
For those new to this thread, see:

http://www.newcriterion.com/articles.cfm...ymple-2647
(10-10-2010, 04:40 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(10-10-2010, 01:21 AM)dark lancer Wrote: Tattoos are simply a way of saying "hey!  look at me!  I spent money for someone to draw a picture on my body!"
A man at work has a few tattoos. A few are visible when he wears short sleeves. They are (the ones I see) the names of his children. They do not stand out. It isn't so simple is it?

They attract those people who start conversations about anything with strangers.

Quote:
Quote:If it's religious, then you are no different than a Pharisee praying in a public place so that he can be praised for his pretend piety.
There is nothing wrong with praying in public. The point was the intent of prayer. Praying to be seen praying was condemned, not just being seen praying.

Read it again, but slower this time.

Quote:If it's to dedicate a deceased relative or friend, you're seeking pity and sympathy.
I know a person who got a tattoo because his dead brother had the same one. It was a simple tattoo easily missed. He got it not for other people, but for himself. Do not simplify the grief of others.
[/quote]

And there are probably a thousand people who do it to quietly ask for sympathy from others.  It's along the same lines as denying a compliment to get a second one.

Quote:If you want a tattoo, get one that isn't permanent.

Quote:From one who almost mandated that tattoos be removed, this is strange, as you seemed to think all tattoos were not permanent.

There are ways to remove permanent tattoos.  They're not simple, but it's better than dying and having to explain to GOD why you had a tattoo of the devil on a Harley for fifty years.
Quote:why you had a tattoo of the devil on a Harley for fifty years.

That one is easy. It's because I'm

**puts on sunglasses**

hell on wheels!

YYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

(10-10-2010, 09:38 PM)dark lancer Wrote: They attract those people who start conversations about anything with strangers.

That's ironic, coming from from someone who has this as their sig line:
"Like to talk?  I like to talk!  Add me on Windows Messenger and we'll find something to talk about!"

Maybe you really just want to talk about tattoos and the military?

Or sailors.