Poll: Is it sinful for a Catholic to get a tattoo?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Tattoos
I didn't vote because the poll didn't have enough options - my vote would go to "it depends on the subject of the tattoo and the reasons for getting it". Much like most anything else in life, unless it's strictly forbidden outright (such as fornication or murder), everything hinges on the details.

If a tattoo is gotten for vain reasons, then it could be sinful. If it is of something impure (say, a nude woman) or vulgar (foul language, etc) or representing something illegal/illicit (such as gang tattoos), then it's clearer that it's sinful. If the tattoo was gotten to be rebellious or to be offensive or shocking, then it might be sinful as well.

However, if it was gotten, for example, to witness to religious convictions, such as a tattoo of a crucifix or the Blessed Mother, then the likelihood of it being sinful is either minimal or otherwise non-existent. Or even if it's to display one's support of something good, like one's heritage or country - that too might be totally sinless as well.

The Church hasn't ruled officially on tattooing per se, and tattooing for un-Christian reasons is an idea older than the Church and certainly known to it in antiquity, one must assume (based on the fact that some pagan peoples of Europe used tattooing). Certainly, if it were a problem, God through the Church would have given us a clear one way or the other ruling by now. There are good reasons not to and good reason to get a tattoo, though one must follow what I'd think are pretty strict guidelines, first.

I did and though it took me years to get my first one, I don't regret it.
I do know that the Old Testament prohibited tattoos, but I don't think there's any official teaching of the Church that says they're wrong. As others have pointed out, if it's a tattoo of a satanic or evil symbol, such as is often seen on bikers, common sense alone tells you they're no good, and sinful.

Anyway, here's a good article in Latin Mass Magazine about tattoos:

http://www.latinmassmagazine.com/article...oseph.html
http://www.hulu.com/watch/61336/saturday...s-p6-sr-i3
(09-02-2010, 08:08 PM)Lycorth Wrote: I didn't vote because the poll didn't have enough options - my vote would go to "it depends on the subject of the tattoo and the reasons for getting it". Much like most anything else in life, unless it's strictly forbidden outright (such as fornication or murder), everything hinges on the details.

If a tattoo is gotten for vain reasons, then it could be sinful. If it is of something impure (say, a nude woman) or vulgar (foul language, etc) or representing something illegal/illicit (such as gang tattoos), then it's clearer that it's sinful. If the tattoo was gotten to be rebellious or to be offensive or shocking, then it might be sinful as well.

However, if it was gotten, for example, to witness to religious convictions, such as a tattoo of a crucifix or the Blessed Mother, then the likelihood of it being sinful is either minimal or otherwise non-existent. Or even if it's to display one's support of something good, like one's heritage or country - that too might be totally sinless as well.

The Church hasn't ruled officially on tattooing per se, and tattooing for un-Christian reasons is an idea older than the Church and certainly known to it in antiquity, one must assume (based on the fact that some pagan peoples of Europe used tattooing). Certainly, if it were a problem, God through the Church would have given us a clear one way or the other ruling by now. There are good reasons not to and good reason to get a tattoo, though one must follow what I'd think are pretty strict guidelines, first.

I did and though it took me years to get my first one, I don't regret it.

Again, since no one apparently read it last time: "Thinking about getting a religious tattoo?  Consider Matthew 6:5:  'And when ye pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, that love to stand and pray in the synagogues and corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men: Amen I say to you, they have received their reward.'"
(09-03-2010, 02:19 AM)dark lancer Wrote: Again, since no one apparently read it last time: "Thinking about getting a religious tattoo?  Consider Matthew 6:5:  'And when ye pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, that love to stand and pray in the synagogues and corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men: Amen I say to you, they have received their reward.'"

I just realized when I was stuck in the waiting room a couple of weeks ago and I prayed my Rosary it was a pointless act because people could see me. ::)
(09-03-2010, 01:12 AM)SoCalLocal Wrote: http://www.hulu.com/watch/61336/saturday...s-p6-sr-i3

That's great

Additionally I did not vote since the choices are dependent on time place situation culture person and intention at the time.
(09-03-2010, 10:33 AM)kimbaichan Wrote:
(09-03-2010, 02:19 AM)dark lancer Wrote: Again, since no one apparently read it last time: "Thinking about getting a religious tattoo?  Consider Matthew 6:5:  'And when ye pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, that love to stand and pray in the synagogues and corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men: Amen I say to you, they have received their reward.'"

I just realized when I was stuck in the waiting room a couple of weeks ago and I prayed my Rosary it was a pointless act because people could see me. ::)

It's probably fine if you weren't doing it to be noticed, which was the actual issue that Jesus was preaching against.  If you stare at the floor and conceal the beads somehow no one will notice.

The ideal would be at home in your inner room with the door shut and you on your knees, though.
(09-03-2010, 01:33 PM)dark lancer Wrote: It's probably fine if you weren't doing it to be noticed, which was the actual issue that Jesus was preaching against.  If you stare at the floor and conceal the beads somehow no one will notice.

The ideal would be at home in your inner room with the door shut and you on your knees, though.

Since my Rosary is huge there was really no place to conceal the beads, I think that's probably for the best otherwise everyone else would have assumed I was a crazyperson mumbling to myself. How do you feel about crossing yourself in a resturant before you eat? Too noticeable or okay? Maybe I could go to the bathroom after my food is served, pray a blessing in the stall and then come back and (sort-of) enjoy my lukewarm meal?
I have always wondered why people deface their bodies with what amounts to painting it with permanent graffiti.

It can amount and lead to putting yourself on display. That is pagan, not Catholic.

Seems obvious that tattoos are not and never have been a Catholic thing - in fact, seems more anti Catholic than anything imo.

(09-02-2010, 06:56 PM)Walty Wrote:
(09-01-2010, 08:53 PM)Cyriacus Wrote: I have been told by my dentist, an older Chaldean Catholic gentleman, that it was quite common even thirty-odd years ago for Chaldeans in Iraq to wear tattoos of the cross on the underside of the wrist. My memory's a bit foggy, but I believe he said that certain situations required him to conceal his with shirt cuffs.

Dang.  I'm trying to figure out why I haven't done this yet.  I've been jonesing to get a crucifix with the words "Ecce Agnus Dei" underneath in Roman lettering on my wrist.  Either that or the chi-rho with the alpha and omega.

How sweet would this look on the inside of the wrist?   I'm thinking pretty sweet.

[Image: chirho.gif]

I have two religious themed tattoos - a cross that I designed on my right deltoid and a band that is supposed to represent the crown of thorns below it (of course, I got these when I was still a Protestant and in the Army, but my heart even at that time was becoming Catholic).  What you posted, the "Chi-Rho," had always been my plan for my next tattoo on my left deltoid or my left pectoral.  Above or below it I was going to have the Latin phrase - "In Hoc Signo Vinces," which means, "In this sign I will conquer."  I have always had a love for that symbol - it has been my pic on this forum since I started here.

I think tattoos, as for most things in life, can be done tastefully and can be a good thing if they help, even a little bit, to lead one to Christ.  But for the MOST part, tattoos do NOT fall into this very narrow category.  Most tattoos are either done to inflate one's pride (as for a man) or to try to attract the opposite sex (as for a woman, and a man in some cases).  Most tattoos are done and then regretted later on in life, showing the mental capacity and maturity level of the person at the time of the inking.

As for the voting - is it a mortal sin, a venial sin or no sin for a Catholic to get a tattoo - I cannot vote on this because of the factors that I listed above.  It all depends on one's motivation for getting the said tattoo and exactly what design that tattoo is.  So, if a Catholic woman wanted to get a "tramp-stamp" or a "bullseye" on her lower back or a little heart next to her breast or on the inside of her thigh in close proximity to you know where, I would definately say that is a sin, at least a venial one.  But for a person who wanted to get a religious themed tattoo to show off their love of Christ and to show others, than no, I cannot agree that that would be sinful in nature.