Poll: Is it sinful for a Catholic to get a tattoo?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Tattoos
(09-03-2010, 02:07 PM)kimbaichan Wrote:
(09-03-2010, 01:33 PM)dark lancer Wrote: It's probably fine if you weren't doing it to be noticed, which was the actual issue that Jesus was preaching against.  If you stare at the floor and conceal the beads somehow no one will notice.

The ideal would be at home in your inner room with the door shut and you on your knees, though.

Since my Rosary is huge there was really no place to conceal the beads, I think that's probably for the best otherwise everyone else would have assumed I was a crazyperson mumbling to myself. How do you feel about crossing yourself in a resturant before you eat? Too noticeable or okay? Maybe I could go to the bathroom after my food is served, pray a blessing in the stall and then come back and (sort-of) enjoy my lukewarm meal?

If you do it right you can make the Sign of the Cross look like you're quickly rubbing your brow.  Unless someone is super creepy and watching your every movement no one will notice.  You could also hesitate and gently run your hands over your lips.  Even if someone realizes what you're doing, as long as you truly intend to keep your prayers secret, it is probably not an act of hypocrisy.  The best thing to do would be to wait until you got home and did your prayers there.

In reality I just intone a prayer when I think of it when eating at a restaurant or at someone's house.
You're serious, aren't you?
About religious tattoos being a sign of hypocrisy?  Of course.
About hiding the fact that you are praying.  It's one thing to make a show out of  your praying, but another thing entirely to think you have to hide it, lest someone think you a hypocrite.  I suppose you should wear a diguise when you go to Mass, so that nobody can recognize you?
(09-05-2010, 03:07 PM)dark lancer Wrote: If you do it right you can make the Sign of the Cross look like you're quickly rubbing your brow.
If you do it right, it is not a secret what one is doing. If you are ashamed of Christ, then you cannot follow him.

Quote:You could also hesitate and gently run your hands over your lips.  Even if someone realizes what you're doing, as long as you truly intend to keep your prayers secret, it is probably not an act of hypocrisy.  The best thing to do would be to wait until you got home and did your prayers there.
What about dressing modestly...people may think you are a Christian. Better not give them that idea either!

Being so mindful of what others think of you is precisely what Jesus taught against. While He primarily focused on those making a show of faith, doing the opposite is probably worse. The point is not caring what others thing when doing good. Do it for God and neighbour rather than for the sake of yourself. If other see it, then they see it. Would you refrain from helping someone just because others may see it? Yes, for daily prayers and such doing it when one is alone or in a group also prayer is the best, but if a situation arises where doing good is needed, then having witnesses is not a problem. It doesn't matter if you know they will see it.

I have long hair (I'm a man). Often, people comment on it. That is life. I pray the rosary (not enough, but I'm working on that). I've prayed the rosary in public while I was waiting for a bus or walking. No one ever commented on it (despite my rosary being quite large). People notice what they do. It is not our concern.
(09-05-2010, 03:42 PM)Texican Wrote: About hiding the fact that you are praying.  It's one thing to make a show out of  your praying, but another thing entirely to think you have to hide it, lest someone think you a hypocrite.  I suppose you should wear a diguise when you go to Mass, so that nobody can recognize you?

If you're at some kind of gathering for Mass or group prayer where it would not seem out of place to pray or worship, then there is no need to hide it.  In those cases making a spectacle of oneself praying "real hard" would be wrong.

Herr_Mannelig Wrote:If you do it right, it is not a secret what one is doing. If you are ashamed of Christ, then you cannot follow him.

If you pray in public like you pray at home you will certainly be noticed.  Doing something when you know that there is a good chance of being noticed is like inviting others to notice you.
(09-05-2010, 03:58 PM)dark lancer Wrote: If you pray in public like you pray at home you will certainly be noticed.  Doing something when you know that there is a good chance of being noticed is like inviting others to notice you.

I pray standing; it isn't particular noticeable as I am usually standing.

People notice me anyway. People may find me good looking, strange, familiar, etc. It is not my concern. Priests are very noticeable. Most religious orders are noticeable. Why is being seen praying so wrong?
(09-05-2010, 04:02 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(09-05-2010, 03:58 PM)dark lancer Wrote: If you pray in public like you pray at home you will certainly be noticed.  Doing something when you know that there is a good chance of being noticed is like inviting others to notice you.

I pray standing; it isn't particular noticeable as I am usually standing.

People notice me anyway. People may find me good looking, strange, familiar, etc. It is not my concern. Priests are very noticeable. Most religious orders are noticeable. Why is being seen praying so wrong?

Ask the guy who said it was wrong.
(09-01-2010, 09:02 PM)Credo Wrote:
kimbaichan Wrote:I've never seen a tattoo in Latin, what kinds of words or phrases do they usually get?

Such works usually express virile sentiments. (This is a hidden compliment to the allure of Latin even in this day and age.) For example, there was a guy I worked with a few years ago who believed he had a tattoo of Truth. I forget what word it was now, but it definitely wasn't Truth. Most recently, and most puzzling, another fellow I know inscribed, "Or peace, or war" into himself. I think the last chap was going for something along the lines of, "Chose peace or war." Live and learn.

I've seen "Carpe Diem," "Dum Spiro Spero," and a few more that I can't remember.
I voted "no sin" - but they are disgusting!