Poll: Is it sinful for a Catholic to get a tattoo?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Tattoos
(09-05-2010, 11:29 PM)OldMan Wrote: I voted "no sin" - but they are disgusting!

I take it you were never a sailor.
I know an old Irish priest who would bless one's Catholic tatoo. He believed it would remain on your body in the after life, since it was glorifying God. I'd like to think so!
(09-07-2010, 03:58 PM)spes Wrote: I know an old Irish priest who would bless one's Catholic tatoo. He believed it would remain on your body in the after life, since it was glorifying God. I'd like to think so!

Yeah I bet on Judgment Day God will have set aside a special place in Heaven for all of those people who got novelty body art proclaiming God.
I am not saying that God will set aside a special place for those covered by the novel fashion of tattoos, a certain communion of  tattooed saints!S Ha! thats a funny idea.  I also think that is the dignity of the person can be ruined by tattoos unless done in the right manner. However if one marks themselves with a holy symbol of Christ, and by that they are led to the Greater glory of God, why not bless it, why not have it blessed by a priest?  I knew a Missionary of Charity who had a cross tattooed on her hand. By seeing this tattoo, she was reminded that everything she did was for Christ. By this mark, this symbol of a Divine Reality, she could be constantly reminded to sanctify her work for him. Why not?
(09-07-2010, 04:33 PM)spes Wrote: I am not saying that God will set aside a special place for those covered by the novel fashion of tattoos, a certain communion of  tattooed saints!S Ha! thats a funny idea.  I also think that is the dignity of the person can be ruined by tattoos unless done in the right manner. However if one marks themselves with a holy symbol of Christ, and by that they are led to the Greater glory of God, why not bless it, why not have it blessed by a priest?  I knew a Missionary of Charity who had a cross tattooed on her hand. By seeing this tattoo, she was reminded that everything she did was for Christ. By this mark, this symbol of a Divine Reality, she could be constantly reminded to sanctify her work for him. Why not?

For the third and hopefully last time:

Consider Matthew 6:5:  'And when ye pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, that love to stand and pray in the synagogues and corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men: Amen I say to you, they have received their reward.'"
(09-07-2010, 04:50 PM)dark lancer Wrote: Consider Matthew 6:5:  'And when ye pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, that love to stand and pray in the synagogues and corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men: Amen I say to you, they have received their reward.'"

Matt. 6:5 considered - get as many tattoos as you want, just don't let anyone catch you praying. :w2go:
(09-07-2010, 06:59 PM)kimbaichan Wrote:
(09-07-2010, 04:50 PM)dark lancer Wrote: Consider Matthew 6:5:  'And when ye pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, that love to stand and pray in the synagogues and corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men: Amen I say to you, they have received their reward.'"

Matt. 6:5 considered - get as many tattoos as you want, just don't let anyone catch you praying. :w2go:

That's still defying the words of Jesus.  I don't think He takes kindly to seeking out loopholes in his instructions.  By getting a tattoo of anything, you are attempting to make them--and thus yourself--more noticeable.  You are calling attention to your worship of God every time someone looks upon you and your tattoos.

Even if you did get a tattoo in a place where it could not be seen by anyone, would you get an image of Mary on your where the sun don't shine?  When The Fonz tells you to "sit on it," would you be sitting on the Sacred Heart?
(09-07-2010, 07:53 PM)dark lancer Wrote:
(09-07-2010, 06:59 PM)kimbaichan Wrote:

That's still defying the words of Jesus.  I don't think He takes kindly to seeking out loopholes in his instructions.  By getting a tattoo of anything, you are attempting to make them--and thus yourself--more noticeable.  You are calling attention to your worship of God every time someone looks upon you and your tattoos.

Even if you did get a tattoo in a place where it could not be seen by anyone, would you get an image of Mary on your where the sun don't shine?  When The Fonz tells you to "sit on it," would you be sitting on the Sacred Heart?

How silly.  So I guess we should never speak to anyone about Christ and His Church, for that would be drawing attention to ourselves so that we can be glorified in the said person's conversion.  Give me a break!
Something that seems obvious is that tattoos are not only not a Catholic thing, tattoos are more of a non-Catholic thing than anything  and seems like that fact gets more prevalent every day.

(09-07-2010, 09:06 PM)Stubborn Wrote: Something that seems obvious is that tattoos are not only not a Catholic thing, tattoos are more of a non-Catholic thing than anything  and seems like that fact gets more prevalent every day.

It seems obvious to me that tattoos are not a non-Catholic thing.