Poll: Is it sinful for a Catholic to get a tattoo?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Tattoos
(09-07-2010, 09:00 PM)Nic Wrote:
(09-07-2010, 07:53 PM)dark lancer Wrote:
(09-07-2010, 06:59 PM)kimbaichan Wrote:
(09-07-2010, 04:50 PM)dark lancer Wrote: Consider Matthew 6:5:  'And when ye pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, that love to stand and pray in the synagogues and corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men: Amen I say to you, they have received their reward.'"

Matt. 6:5 considered - get as many tattoos as you want, just don't let anyone catch you praying. :w2go:

That's still defying the words of Jesus.  I don't think He takes kindly to seeking out loopholes in his instructions.  By getting a tattoo of anything, you are attempting to make them--and thus yourself--more noticeable.  You are calling attention to your worship of God every time someone looks upon you and your tattoos.

Even if you did get a tattoo in a place where it could not be seen by anyone, would you get an image of Mary on your where the sun don't shine?  When The Fonz tells you to "sit on it," would you be sitting on the Sacred Heart?

How silly.  So I guess we should never speak to anyone about Christ and His Church, for that would be drawing attention to ourselves so that we can be glorified in the said person's conversion.  Give me a break!

That is not correct.  By getting a tattoo, you're saying "look at me, I am such a devout Christian that I got it tattooed on me!  Gee, aren't I a swell Christian?"
(09-07-2010, 09:19 PM)dark lancer Wrote:
(09-07-2010, 04:50 PM)dark lancer Wrote: Consider Matthew 6:5:  'And when ye pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, that love to stand and pray in the synagogues and corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men: Amen I say to you, they have received their reward.'"

Matt. 6:5 considered - get as many tattoos as you want, just don't let anyone catch you praying. :w2go:

That's still defying the words of Jesus.  I don't think He takes kindly to seeking out loopholes in his instructions.  By getting a tattoo of anything, you are attempting to make them--and thus yourself--more noticeable.  You are calling attention to your worship of God every time someone looks upon you and your tattoos.

Even if you did get a tattoo in a place where it could not be seen by anyone, would you get an image of Mary on your where the sun don't shine?  When The Fonz tells you to "sit on it," would you be sitting on the Sacred Heart?

How silly.  So I guess we should never speak to anyone about Christ and His Church, for that would be drawing attention to ourselves so that we can be glorified in the said person's conversion.  Give me a break!

That is not correct.  By getting a tattoo, you're saying "look at me, I am such a devout Christian that I got it tattooed on me!  Gee, aren't I a swell Christian?"

It must be pretty sweet to be able to read people's intentions like that. 
(09-07-2010, 11:42 PM)Walty Wrote:

Why would someone want to have some kind of permanent drawing on their body if not to have other people look at it?  If you're memorializing a parent, child, or friend, you're trying to evoke undue sympathy from others.  If you're wearing some kind of symbol or picture directly related to your faith, you're trying to show other people what a good little Christian you are.

Why is this not obvious?
(09-07-2010, 11:47 PM)dark lancer Wrote:

Why would someone want to have some kind of permanent drawing on their body if not to have other people look at it?  If you're memorializing a parent, child, or friend, you're trying to evoke undue sympathy from others.  If you're wearing some kind of symbol or picture directly related to your faith, you're trying to show other people what a good little Christian you are.

Why is this not obvious?

Is it also a sin of pride to wear a crucifix around your neck?  What about holding a rosary in public?
(09-08-2010, 12:09 AM)Walty Wrote:

Why is this not obvious?

Is it also a sin of pride to wear a crucifix around your neck?  What about holding a rosary in public?

Are you doing it in such a way so as to be noticed?
(09-07-2010, 11:47 PM)dark lancer Wrote: Why would someone want to have some kind of permanent drawing on their body if not to have other people look at it?  If you're memorializing a parent, child, or friend, you're trying to evoke undue sympathy from others.  If you're wearing some kind of symbol or picture directly related to your faith, you're trying to show other people what a good little Christian you are.

Why is this not obvious?

No matter what you look like or are wearing people can see you. They see the style of glasses you picked out, how you chose to wear your hair that day, if you wore a plain t-shirt, if you carried a cloth book-bag. Almost everything about you signifies something to the people you encounter and influences them whether you like it or not. If I wear my hair in a french braid someone will likely ask me about it and the same goes for pink laces in my shoes or a watch with a cartoon character. Why shouldn't I wear (and influence, and invite conversation about) an Immaculate Heart t-shirt, a Miraculous Medal or even a tattoo with a religious theme?
(09-08-2010, 12:38 AM)dark lancer Wrote:

Why is this not obvious?

The very asking of this question proves my point.  You cannot know someone's intentionality.  If you happen to spot someone showing an outward sign of piety you cannot know whether they are simply being unintentionally caught in the act of piety or whether they are scrambling for attention and to be noticed as pious.  So it goes with the tattoo.  I think that a tattoo can, in certain circumstances, be a personal devotion and reminder of our quiet and humble consecration to God (much in the same way that we are reminded by our blessed medals, crucifixes, rosaries, prayer cards etc.).  Our Lord did not tell us to take every precaution from ever being spotted in prayer or being identified as a Christian.  He told us to not be a hypocrite and pray in public just to spotted.  The problem is that, from the outside, it's nearly impossible to make that call about someone else's actions.
I've got a tattoo on the back of my right shoulder of a Maltese Cross with Fleur de leis.  This is a reminder for me that I cannot run away from my crosses which I have a tendency to do.  No one can see it and it was not immodest to get.  What a hypocrite I am! ::)
(09-08-2010, 01:17 AM)Walty Wrote:

Why is this not obvious?

The very asking of this question proves my point.  You cannot know someone's intentionality.  If you happen to spot someone showing an outward sign of piety you cannot know whether they are simply being unintentionally caught in the act of piety or whether they are scrambling for attention and to be noticed as pious.  So it goes with the tattoo.  I think that a tattoo can, in certain circumstances, be a personal devotion and reminder of our quiet and humble consecration to God (much in the same way that we are reminded by our blessed medals, crucifixes, rosaries, prayer cards etc.).  Our Lord did not tell us to take every precaution from ever being spotted in prayer or being identified as a Christian.  He told us to not be a hypocrite and pray in public just to spotted.  The problem is that, from the outside, it's nearly impossible to make that call about someone else's actions.

It is not we humans who judge, but God alone.  Sure, you and others can keep trolling this thread and making light of my posts all you want, but it is God who knows what each individual intends to do.  Can you get some sort of religious tattoo without ever entertaining the thought of what others might think if they see it?  And if so can you guarantee that there is no silent scandal provoked by others having seen said tattoo?  If we examine the letter of the law--as it were--Jesus says that we should not pray for the sake of being seen.  However, if we examine the spirit of the law, we are forbidden from doing any pious act for the sake of others seeing it.  "Oh hey, nice tattoo."  There's your reward.  Tattoos are made to be seen by the wearer and any who are able to look upon it. 

It is God who sees what is within and it is what is within that God judges.  If it was the outside that God judges, then a plug ugly fool like me would be on his way to Hell before his soul left his body, while Paris Hilton and whatever other sexy celebs would have a special place prepared for heaven.
(09-08-2010, 01:47 AM)dark lancer Wrote:
(09-08-2010, 01:17 AM)Walty Wrote:

Why is this not obvious?

It is not we humans who judge, but God alone.  Sure, you and others can keep trolling this thread and making light of my posts all you want, but it is God who knows what each individual intends to do.  Can you get some sort of religious tattoo without ever entertaining the thought of what others might think if they see it?  And if so can you guarantee that there is no silent scandal provoked by others having seen said tattoo?  If we examine the letter of the law--as it were--Jesus says that we should not pray for the sake of being seen.  However, if we examine the spirit of the law, we are forbidden from doing any pious act for the sake of others seeing it.  "Oh hey, nice tattoo."  There's your reward.  Tattoos are made to be seen by the wearer and any who are able to look upon it. 

It is God who sees what is within and it is what is within that God judges.  If it was the outside that God judges, then a plug ugly fool like me would be on his way to Hell before his soul left his body, while Paris Hilton and whatever other sexy celebs would have a special place prepared for heaven.

Haha.  I've wasted enough time to have nearly 6,000 posts here and I'm a troll?  You are officially the first person who has ever said that to me.

Do you really think that a tattoo of the chi-rho would lead anyone to scandal? 

You also dodged my questions.  Sometimes our devotions are seen publically, no?  Does that suddenly turn them into evil little acts, even if we weren't intending to be seen?  I certainky hope that no one ever sees you praying a rosary.  How about your avatar?  Maybe you shouldn't have one at all, or at least not a rosary.