Vermont's laws never cease to annoy me (anti-smoking legislation...)
(09-13-2010, 05:19 PM)dark lancer Wrote: I'll bet that the dubious claim that tobacco can aid in weight control comes from the tendency of quitters to gain weight.

I kind of posted that quote tongue-in-cheek (hence calling it "silly logic").  I think it makes an interesting point regarding relaxation.  I didn't really even pay attention to the weight loss part, which is a total joke.  But cigars are definitely A+ bug repellents, that much is certain.
(09-13-2010, 05:47 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(09-13-2010, 04:12 PM)PatrickTorsell Wrote: You may also find the table at the top of the link below interesting (the table is from a study done by the National Cancer Institute in 1998; the article in the link analyzes the study).  Take note that the lowest cigar consumption they studied is 1-2 cigars per DAY.  Now, adjust that for 1-2 cigars per week, and the risks are, well, almost non-existent.  Certainly less dangerous than a lot of things we do every day.

The issue isn't the risk to the smoker. They can do whatever they want. It is others besides the smokers. Then it shouldn't be a problem to do it in one's own home.

Okay, granting you that, do you still think it's reasonable for the state to legislate that smoking is illegal in a separate, independent building?  For example, a tobacconist, or a cigar lounge?  A business dedicated solely to smoking fine tobacco, that is not attached to any other buildings or public spaces.  Or, taking it to the next level, what I proposed: a private club, located in its own building away from other public spaces, accessible only to club members by key/card/code?

Cigar/pipe smoking is a very social hobby.  We cigar/pipe smokers like to chat with others who share our hobby, and we tend to enjoy a common place to do it (outside of our own homes).  That's all I'm getting at.  I have no desire to share my smoke with you, or anyone else who doesn't want to be around. it.  I just find it totally unreasonable the extent to which state government is banning smoking.
I know a little about Vermont. I LOVE, love, love that landscape, most especially Southern Vermont. If I could, I'd live there and paint landscapes for the rest of my life and be so happy to look at those mountains, and hike around through those mountains. But how can such a beautiful place be so stupid in every other way? How?!?!?!
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(09-13-2010, 07:55 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: I know a little about Vermont. I LOVE, love, love that landscape, most especially Southern Vermont. If I could, I'd live there and paint landscapes for the rest of my life and be so happy to look at those mountains, and hike around through those mountains. But how can such a beautiful place be so stupid in every other way? How?!?!?!

Uggg... I know.  It's absolutely incredible country here; the mountains are stunning, particularly in fall foliage (which is drawing near), and in winter.  But it's definitely among the most liberal and faith-less states in the nation, and is just plain weird in a lot of ways.

But it sure is purdy.  This is my neck of the woods (and my office):

[Image: image008.jpg]
Or, if you're more into the warmer months up here:

[Image: lmr.jpg]
(09-13-2010, 07:11 PM)PatrickTorsell Wrote: Okay, granting you that, do you still think it's reasonable for the state to legislate that smoking is illegal in a separate, independent building? 
Let the courts decide that. One must have standing to contest this, and if there is need, there will be more rulings on it.

Quote:Cigar/pipe smoking is a very social hobby.  We cigar/pipe smokers like to chat with others who share our hobby, and we tend to enjoy a common place to do it (outside of our own homes).  That's all I'm getting at. 
Then talk, there is no law against that.
(09-13-2010, 08:55 PM)PatrickTorsell Wrote: Or, if you're more into the warmer months up here:

Is that Stowe? We used to stay around the Stratton/Bromley area. In Bondville. Hey, you know I would move there if they had a Latin Mass chapel. But no, allst they've got is that Weston Priory.  Or St. Paul's in Manchester--a lil better, but then anything'd be better than the Priory. :P Err. And the "Chapel of the Snows?" Ever been there? blech.

I miss that landscape.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(09-13-2010, 09:35 PM)Jacafamala Wrote:
(09-13-2010, 08:55 PM)PatrickTorsell Wrote: Or, if you're more into the warmer months up here:

Is that Stowe? We used to stay around the Stratton/Bromley area. In Bondville. Hey, you know I would move there if they had a Latin Mass chapel. But no, allst they've got is that Weston Priory.  Or St. Paul's in Manchester--a lil better, but then anything'd be better than the Priory. :P Err. And the "Chapel of the Snows?" Ever been there? blech.

I miss that landscape.

Actually, it's Sugarbush.  Best skiing east of the Mississippi, in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm hoping we'll see some diocesan TLMs popping up soon.  I know several priests who are interested, but haven't learned it yet.  And the Bishop offers several Tridentine Masses each year.  We'll see what the future brings.

Never been to "Chapel of the Snows," but sounds like I wouldn't want to.
I love love love LOVE the northern New England states.

New England is the best part of the country.
Yeah, it's so quaint--but too Protty. And liberal. That's the problem.