Benedictine Hermit Becomes Orthodox Apostate
(09-15-2010, 03:37 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: How traditional and intellectual is this poor man if he didn't understand or grasp the dogma Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus, Outside the Church there is no salvation?

It could be these strange times of confusion, the heresies in the church, the apostasy of most Catholics, or this demonic age, but it seems that whatever contributed to his leaving, he is now in the state of losing his salvation. He needs prayers. He cannot save his soul if he does not return to Catholicism.

Indeed, he is in need of prayers.  He needs to see that true Catholicism still exists, it is just forced into the modern catacombs.  The liberal conciliar "neo-Catholicism" that was formed in the 1960's has taken over the official structure of the Church.  Let us pray that he soon realizes this and returns to the true religion, maybe even as a SSPX clergyman.
I wonder how many of you who declare Father Gabriel an "Orthodox apostate" (that's quite an oxymoron, by the way) have ever bothered to read any of his works or get acquainted with his thought. Becoming Orthodox was the most natural and salutary step a man like him could take in order to be saved.

In the words of a great Orthodox Elder, one cannot conceive true Christianity without dogmas, the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church (which is the Church that preserves the Orthodox faith confessed by the Holy Apostle Peter intact) and asceticism. Without caring to elaborate on new-found Western dogmas or the relation of Rome to the true faith, I can tell you one of the things that most disturbed Fr. Gabriel about his former ecclesiastical community was its increasing disregard for askesis ("cheap grace", in the words of Bonhoeffer). He often called it a "sitting church", where people no longer know how to present themselves before God, that is how to worship with both body and spirit.

Another thing that he was especially sad about was that newly built churches no longer have the altar towards the East. He celebrated Mass in the post-Vatican II Ambrosian rite, in the Italian language, so he wasn't a formalist zealot, but he missed important parts of the liturgical heritage of the Church Fathers (prayer towards the East, prostrations, true iconography, veneration of Saints and their relics, the correct Sign of the Cross) which have been gradually and irreversibly disappearing from the Western Church for more than one thousand years now. Your theologians revere Thomas of Aquinas and scholasticism (basically, Aristotle) more than the Orthodox Fathers of old and their ascetic holy lives.

So, at the end of the day, gay Benedictines have little if anything to do with Father Gabriel's choice to become Orthodox. Even the thought of it is preposterous!       

He is not the first ex-RC monk to come to Orthodoxy. Abbot Placide Deseille became Orthodox with 12 of his fellow Cistercian monks at Mount Athos in 1978 - they now live as Orthodox monks in the Monastery of St. Anthony the Great in France: http://www.ktotv.com/videos-chretiennes/...n/00044791
Dear Friends

Believe it or not, my post deploring Fr. Gabriel's decision to repudiate Catholicism and affiliate with the Eastern Orthodox was one of the reasons why the forum owner of www.byzcath.org kicked me out of his forum.

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...904.0.html

The rule there is to say "congratulations" to any Catholic who chooses to leave Catholicism for Orthodoxy.

However, when I announced my decision to leave Orthodoxy to embrace the Traditional Catholic faith, most posters felt offended. They said it was rather sad that I left the Orthodox Church to become a "schismatic" Catholic.

Greetings.
(11-12-2010, 06:50 PM)Romaios Wrote: I wonder how many of you who declare Father Gabriel an "Orthodox apostate" (that's quite an oxymoron, by the way) have ever bothered to read any of his works or get acquainted with his thought. Becoming Orthodox was the most natural and salutary step a man like him could take in order to be saved.

In the words of a great Orthodox Elder, one cannot conceive true Christianity without dogmas, the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church (which is the Church that preserves the Orthodox faith confessed by the Holy Apostle Peter intact) and asceticism. Without caring to elaborate on new-found Western dogmas or the relation of Rome to the true faith, I can tell you one of the things that most disturbed Fr. Gabriel about his former ecclesiastical community was its increasing disregard for askesis ("cheap grace", in the words of Bonhoeffer). He often called it a "sitting church", where people no longer know how to present themselves before God, that is how to worship with both body and spirit.

Another thing that he was especially sad about was that newly built churches no longer have the altar towards the East. He celebrated Mass in the post-Vatican II Ambrosian rite, in the Italian language, so he wasn't a formalist zealot, but he missed important parts of the liturgical heritage of the Church Fathers (prayer towards the East, prostrations, true iconography, veneration of Saints and their relics, the correct Sign of the Cross) which have been gradually and irreversibly disappearing from the Western Church for more than one thousand years now. Your theologians revere Thomas of Aquinas and scholasticism (basically, Aristotle) more than the Orthodox Fathers of old and their ascetic holy lives.

So, at the end of the day, gay Benedictines have little if anything to do with Father Gabriel's choice to become Orthodox. Even the thought of it is preposterous!       

He is not the first ex-RC monk to come to Orthodoxy. Abbot Placide Deseille became Orthodox with 12 of his fellow Cistercian monks at Mount Athos in 1978 - they now live as Orthodox monks in the Monastery of St. Anthony the Great in France: http://www.ktotv.com/videos-chretiennes/...n/00044791

OK, great, but you're also in violation of the forum rules:

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...orum_rules

Quote:Anyone is most welcome to participate if they will respect the sensibilities of traditional Catholics who respect the Petrine Ministry and the man who holds the office, and if they obey the forum rules. In other words, read about what is meant by "traditional Catholics" -- and don't come here to rile people who fit that description. We get smeared everywhere else; it won't happen here.

Neither interreligious debating nor attempts to "convert" us are allowed. You can ask sincere questions about traditional Catholicism in the "Apologetics & Questions about Traditional Catholicism?" forum -- but no barraging; ask a few questions at a time. If you don't want to know the answer but are trying to "score points" or "convert" us, don't bother!

So, you're welcome to be here, but not as an apologist for Eastern Orthodoxy.
(11-12-2010, 07:30 PM)Mexican Wrote: Dear Friends

Believe it or not, my post deploring Fr. Gabriel's decision to repudiate Catholicism and affiliate with the Eastern Orthodox was one of the reasons why the forum owner of www.byzcath.org kicked me out of his forum.

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...904.0.html

The rule there is to say "congratulations" to any Catholic who chooses to leave Catholicism for Orthodoxy.

However, when I announced my decision to leave Orthodoxy to embrace the Traditional Catholic faith, most posters felt offended. They said it was rather sad that I left the Orthodox Church to become a "schismatic" Catholic.

Greetings.

Well, that is sad, for sure, and it won't happen here.  On the other hand, we don't bash other forums here.  So,you are welcome to be here but please drop the comments about the byzcath forum.
(11-12-2010, 07:30 PM)Mexican Wrote: However, when I announced my decision to leave Orthodoxy to embrace the Traditional Catholic faith, most posters felt offended. They said it was rather sad that I left the Orthodox Church to become a "schismatic" Catholic.

Dear friend,

As a former Roman-Catholic turned "Orthodox apostate/schismatic", I can only tell you that you have left the narrow way, "which they call heresy" (Acts 24:14).

No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God. (Luke 9:62)

Kyrie eleison!

(11-12-2010, 07:35 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: So, you're welcome to be here, but not as an apologist for Eastern Orthodoxy.

Orthodoxy is neither Eastern, nor Western - it either is or it isn't.

I'm sorry I dared intervene - I felt an access of "saintly fury" (as St. Jerome would put it) when I saw how Fr. Gabriel's conversion could be interpreted by some of the forum's users.

Rest assured, Orthodox prayer is more effective than "enticing words of man's wisdom" .
Fr. Garbiel converted to Satan.  He now preaches, against the Words of our Glorious Lord, that it is legal to divorce and remarry.  He will spend an eternity in hell for embracing this heresy.  But you will keep him company, so repent and save yourself.  Or man up and say how proud you are to believe in divorce.  Don't be a sissy about it.  Brag about the greatness of divorce, or look into the mirror and see that you are lost.  Repent before it is too late.
(11-12-2010, 08:03 PM)James02 Wrote: Fr. Garbiel converted to Satan. 

Scisne quomodo vox "satanas" interpretatur Hebraice? Cave ne proficiat aliquid ipse in te. 
No comment on divorce, eh?  I guess you're going to be a sissy about it.  If you are going to come to a Catholic site, man up and proclaim the wonder of divorce that your demon infested schismatic religion professes.  Or lie about it, like your father, who lied from the beginning.