What is The Real Threat to The Unity of the Roman Rite? Card Ratzinger's Letter.
(09-29-2010, 09:53 PM)The Catholic Thinker Wrote:
(09-28-2010, 10:51 AM)Augstine Baker Wrote:
(09-28-2010, 10:18 AM)3Sanctus Wrote: Cardinal Ratzinger made it clear that the unity of the Roman Rite is not today "threatened by a small community, who use the Indult [Permission to Celebrate the Old Mass] and are generally treated like they have the plague, as people not understood, if not even possibly doing something immoral."

It's great to know our Holy Father has an understanding of where traditionalists are coming from.  Viva Papa Bene!   :cheers:

Yeah, that was heartwarming to read that.  It's nice to know that someone up there understands what we're going through and wants to open a door and give us a cool drink of lemonade in the shade.

So how can so many trads be so against him?  ???  The evidence is there - he's alright.

Well, you can see that he has kept what is basically the same position with regard to the Liturgy, and presumably toward doctrine, which he has had as a Cardinal, which is that he intends on holding onto the "reforms" which I, and many others who've spent a lot more time on these problems than myself, like the famous liturgist, Dom Bouyer, find to be very challenging to our respect for objectivity.  There are so many problems with the new Mass, even if it's said in Latin.  I used to bring my old missal to the New Mass and the two Rites side, by side just don't compare.

In another sense, I think Pope Benedict's liberal interlocutor is right, the new Mass doesn't survive well in comparison with the old,  perhaps Pope Benedict knows this too, but intends on keeping the Old Mass intact anyway.