Wizards and a defense of Gandalf
Tolkien's books are infused with Catholic ethics, among other things.
(09-30-2010, 08:12 PM)Walty Wrote: Tolkien's books are infused with Catholic ethics, among other things.

This issue has been addressed. That's why I find it so frustrating that HM keeps starting new threads on this same topic.
(09-30-2010, 08:13 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(09-30-2010, 08:12 PM)Walty Wrote: Tolkien's books are infused with Catholic ethics, among other things.

This issue has been addressed. That's why I find it so frustrating that HM keeps starting new threads on this same topic.

I must have missed the other thread.  Were you ragging on Tolkien or is Herr just making it seem like it?
(09-30-2010, 08:09 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Maybe I shouldn't partake in these discussion because this level of hairsplitting makes me physically ill.
I could be vague, quick to make assumptions and shaky on thinking if you want.

It isn't hairsplitting to effectively communicate. Is it too much to ask that there be an actual topic rather than a vague cloud of assumptions?

Quote:My point is that Tolkien isn't that different from the HP books in terms of morality. That has been my point in all three threads. You haven't provided anything to convince me otherwise.
I haven't tried to convince you otherwise. Tolkien is a man, a dead man now. Harry Potter is a character in a series of books. I haven't actually made any threads nor attempted to persuade anyone that The Lord of the Rings is indeed "good". I just try to define what some of the elements actually are (a key to discussing it, instead of latching onto an assumption) and how they are different. I did also try to define some general moral principles to follow which can be used for judging individual works (the thread linking to my blog post). Note the contrast between your posts and everyone else's on this thread...are you even reading the same thing they read or do you just see a few keywords and then make up the topic as you think is best to dispute?

They are different topics. I made two threads...one about the dangers of fantasy stories involving certain elements and this thread which goes into a narrowly focused discussion on a linguistic and cultural issue (the "wizard" archetype). You are the one who jumps in and starts discussing other things.

All you bring up is Harry Potter. This thread isn't about Harry Potter any more than it is about The Wizard of Oz. I have not made any thread or postings defending the morality of The Lord of the Rings either. I have pointed out differences between the written works involved when they use common words though.
(09-30-2010, 08:16 PM)Walty Wrote:

I must have missed the other thread.  Were you ragging on Tolkien or is Herr just making it seem like it?

The latter. I made a point that reading Tolkien can have many of the same objections as reading the Harry Potter books. I don't have any kind of problem with either, personally, but dislike double standards.
[Image: Gandalf-Magneto.jpg]
When one googles "hair splitting" a picture of Herry is shown as an ensample.
tim
(10-01-2010, 01:04 PM)piabee Wrote: [Image: Gandalf-Magneto.jpg]

Yeah, did that ever suck.  When I found out about McKellen's lifestyle, I had to force it out of my mind the next time I watched LotR.

Fortunately, the real Gandalf didn't take it from behind.

Magneto probably did.
:laughing: