Wizards and a defense of Gandalf
(09-30-2010, 05:11 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: There's the set-up for that all-powerful 'argument by analogy' again.

It doesn't appear you're going to give it room to even be set up. I, for one, am not familiar with Forgotten Realms, but if Dark Lancer provides some information on it perhaps a decision could be made . . .

Yes, but it is totally out of place. This thread is specifically about the concept of "wizards", linguistics and Gandalf from the Lord of the Rings.

I searched for it to make sure it wasn't an element of the Lord of the Rings I missed, but I responded as if as I originally planned even given my new knowledge. It isn't a book even, but part of a game. It has no connection to this thread except using the word "wizard" and the only relation to this thread is summed up at the end of my post. Although wizard normally refers to something which would be evil, words have no inherent meaning.

That question would be better fitting on another thread (if one were wanting to post it on an existing thread) such as the one about Witchcraft and the intercession of demons and fantasy http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...991.0.html

I do not think that I even need to address it because I never intended to judge the Lord of the Rings itself, but determine general principles to follow. I will probably not be able to begin to judge any individual works.

I will say that for games (especially computer games), the external design of the game may not be that important as they are normally just interfaces for a more fundamental problem. A game like chess for instance could be played with pieces which wizards (as indeed exist as I just googled: http://www.chesssets.com/chess-sets/coll..._sku=FP220 ) but the shape or name of the pieces really doesn't matter for the actual game of chess. Mutable elements such as games are harder to judge definitively because of this element. One has to determine not only the nature of the externals, but what the game actually is.

Messages In This Thread
Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Historian - 09-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Walty - 09-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Walty - 09-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by timoose - 09-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by cgraye - 09-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Historian - 09-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Walty - 09-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Walty - 09-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by piabee - 10-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by timoose - 10-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Walty - 10-02-2010, 12:09 AM