Wizards and a defense of Gandalf
(10-02-2010, 09:10 AM)Iolanthe Wrote: It's easy to make something look like it's not a double standard by making arbitrary arguments and splitting hairs.
It is not so easy to make discussions about related, but distinct topics, with precise language, look like anything else but what it is.

Just because I am not focusing on you, that doesn't give a reason to make assumptions that everything I write on a broad topic is specifically addressed to you and intended to be confrontational.

Quote:I'm sure I could come up with plenty of evidence as to why HP is wholesome and LOTR is evil if I cared to.
It isn't a matter of evidence, but of objective morality. I am not showing any particular work to be wholesome or evil.

Quote:It's also easy to accuse someone of not understanding when they don't agree with you.
Actually, I am not sure if you agree or disagree. Most of what you have written is addressed to me personally and not discussing the topic. Since you are the only one I have recently accused of not understanding, because your responses are not remotely logical responses to my posts. I am not sure if you agree with me or not about any issue. I do not even think you know what I think is good or bad, since I HAVEN'T STATED IT YET.

Quote: I understand a lot more than you think...or maybe you are aware of it, which is why you keep starting new threads??
I am different threads for different topics. I know this one directly references a quote on another thread, but it was never intended to be a direct response to that post or that person. It was merely an example of an idea which I was addressing.

For new thread creation, I am not that high on the forum's list I think. I do not start threads that often compared to other people. When I do start them, I often start them in clusters. One can find a bunch of posts made in a relatively short period of time in the Men's forum for example. That is a pattern to remember. When I start new threads, it is often in groups. These are often topics which were on my mind for a while and I just switched from "reading posts and responding" mode to "introduce new topics" mode.

Each thread is more or less intended to stand on its own, although the specific topic can often be based on other discussions, but this isn't as significant as you seem to think.

Quote:What you're doing is first class "missing the forest for the trees."
What you're doing is second class "assuming". Just read the posts as they are written and ignore that little voice which tries to extrapolate meaning which isn't stated.

Yes, I am often very precise in my meaning. This isn't "hair splitting" unless these are direct responses to another topic. If I focused on minute details of a post to attack it, that would be hair splitting. If I specifically responded to parts of a statement, which may not be the broad subject, that is "giving my 2 cents".

For example:

Other> "Dolphins are tasty fish and hunting should be allowed."
Me> "Dolphins are not fish."

That fictional discussion only shows me to say dolphins are not fish, which is true. It does not mean I do not think they are tasty or not or that hunting should be allowed or not.

Messages In This Thread
Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Historian - 09-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Walty - 09-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Walty - 09-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by timoose - 09-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by cgraye - 09-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Walty - 09-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Walty - 09-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by piabee - 10-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by timoose - 10-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Walty - 10-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Historian - 10-02-2010, 09:37 AM