TLM movement in the future
Salus,

You touched on something that I was going to comment on.  I had a friend who was at the Fraternity's seminary in Nebraska for a while a few years back.  While they have many seminarians starting out, the numbers making it to ordination are few.  While I would think that the men going there have the intention of serving the Church, they will have to put up with some of what the NO seminarians have to put up with(1983 canon law, NFP, dealing with NO bishops).  I won't sideline this thread, but I think that the environment displayed in their glossy brochures is not what will be found by those who go there.

Joe
(10-01-2010, 06:58 PM)salus Wrote: This is hardly a problem whereas the FSSP brings in 20-25 men each year at their seminary in Lincoln, Nebraska by the end of the 7 years of training your lucky if 2 or 3 men have made it. The Seminary being overcrowded is really not a true gauge of the future. Their are more opportunities since the Summorum Pontificum came out and because so few are ordained they cant fill the need.

There are 300 FSSP priest, supposing 40 years average active service, yearly  7.5  ordinations are needed to keep the current level. My info is that the FSSP ordains average 13 priests, so they are growing

In the good old times about half of the freshman seminarians made to the ordination. About half of the rest was advised out by the rector other half left in their own. However I know quite a few good former seminarians who left the seminary the the years made them better than average Catholics, so the cost invested was not w/o reason. Also some later get degree from the sacred theology and work as pastoral associates