The new and improved NO (I know the pig analogy)
(10-01-2010, 12:20 PM)timoose Wrote: Imagine what that would do, English Gregorian Chant.
tim

Believe it or not, there have been whole settings of the current English translation of the Mass to Gregorian chant, including of the Eucharistic prayers as in this video, since the '70s. Of course, they are hardly ever used.
This is not something which should be recited for people. It is clearly directed only to God from the ordained.

No compromise. Traditional Roman Rite Mass or nothing.
Well, this is definitely a step in the right direction.

I went to Mass this evening and instead of the usual lovely organ music and traditional hymns, we had ghastly guitar chords and Protestant hymns. From what I hear, it was because our organist couldn't make it, so hopefully that will not happen again. Needless to say, I offered up a Kyrie afterwards.
(10-03-2010, 12:45 AM)charlesh Wrote: No compromise. Traditional Roman Rite Mass or nothing.

I don't think anybody on this board is suggesting that.
(10-01-2010, 09:35 PM)Unum Sint Wrote:
(10-01-2010, 08:01 PM)ketchum Wrote: The new translation is so much better. however, I have to admit it would be BEST in latin.

Well yes in a future better world. For now the new translation is a step forward and since all the old (I mean 1960s kumbaya) music will have be thrown away.

I've been attending the TLM for years, and have just recently begun attending the NO again due to a move. I haven't paid much attention to the new translations. Are there going to be tighter restrictions on music, and requirements for chant?

I'm quite blessed with my new parish - we only have altar boys, sing traditional hyms with organ, have Latin, etc. - but I'm aware that many Catholics aren't quite so lucky. It would be wonderful if the Church placed clear limitations on what is and is not allowed in the NO; many Catholics who long for more traditional expressions of the faith are often  at the mercy of their priest.
(10-03-2010, 04:35 PM)FascinatingWife Wrote:
(10-01-2010, 09:35 PM)Unum Sint Wrote:
(10-01-2010, 08:01 PM)ketchum Wrote: The new translation is so much better. however, I have to admit it would be BEST in latin.

Well yes in a future better world. For now the new translation is a step forward and since all the old (I mean 1960s kumbaya) music will have be thrown away.

I've been attending the TLM for years, and have just recently begun attending the NO again due to a move. I haven't paid much attention to the new translations. Are there going to be tighter restrictions on music, and requirements for chant?

I'm quite blessed with my new parish - we only have altar boys, sing traditional hyms with organ, have Latin, etc. - but I'm aware that many Catholics aren't quite so lucky. It would be wonderful if the Church placed clear limitations on what is and is not allowed in the NO; many Catholics who long for more traditional expressions of the faith are often  at the mercy of their priest.

And the Popes are to big of wussies to do anything about it. They wont enforce anything on their "brother Bishops".
I think this is a good step forward.  While in a perfect world we would see the NO replaced by the TLM overnight, Pope Benedict has said many times that he prefers to move more slowly.  As older priests and bishops retire and are replaced by younger and more orthodox ones, you'll see the standard of NO worship improve.  This new translation is a step in that direction.  I wouldn't be surprised to see further changes in a more traditional direction over the next 10-15 years.

All that being said, I agree with Herr Mannelig's post about the Roman Canon.  It is far better silent; this was not a prayer designed to be chanted from the rooftops.
How could the NO be replaced with the Latin Mass overnight if most priests don't know Latin?  I think that that is the big bottleneck for bringing it back.

Maybe Pope Benedict is just laying the groundwork for a return to the Latin Mass.  Perhaps the next pope will do a little more and there will be a gradual return.
(10-03-2010, 09:08 PM)dark lancer Wrote: How could the NO be replaced with the Latin Mass overnight if most priests don't know Latin?  I think that that is the big bottleneck for bringing it back.

Maybe Pope Benedict is just laying the groundwork for a return to the Latin Mass.  Perhaps the next pope will do a little more and there will be a gradual return.

I think it will take a CATHOLIC Pope and a complete swearing off of the Modernist heretics from the bottom to the Pope in the Church before that can happen. I think we'll have a few more heretical Modernist Papacies to go through before the truth is restored to Rome.