What causes people to be insulting on a Catholic forum?
(10-06-2010, 11:29 AM)Augstine Baker Wrote:
(10-06-2010, 11:11 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote: It's also a lot easier to be a jerk to an avatar than to someone's face.

You tell me where and if it's convenient, I'll tell you what I think of you to your face.

Are you kidding me? You'd have to at least be in your mid-twenties if not older. Time to grow up.
(10-06-2010, 11:11 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote: It's also a lot easier to be a jerk to an avatar than to someone's face.

You tell me where and if it's convenient, I'll tell you what I think of you to your face.

Does being a jerk when you don't need to be come naturally, or do you have to work at it?
(10-06-2010, 11:36 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote:

Are you kidding me? You'd have to at least be in your mid-twenties if not older. Time to grow up.

I just told you.  If that remark was addressed to me, I'd be glad to meet you in person and speak to you in all candor. 

But like you said, it's easier to be rude anonymously and tell people to "grow up", possibly from 1000s of miles away.
(10-06-2010, 11:38 AM)Augstine Baker Wrote:

I just told you.  If that remark was addressed to me, I'd be glad to meet you in person and speak to you in all candor. 

But like you said, it's easier to be rude anonymously and tell people to "grow up", possibly from 1000s of miles away.

What about the remark was specific to you?

Telling you to grow up isn't being rude, it's being honest. I say this as a 20 year old with 20 year old friends who goes to college with other 20 year olds all of who act more maturely and civilly than some people on this forum. Yes, that includes you.

Yeah, those flippin' 12' tall fatima denying blue creatures are stupid neo-con no-tards.  ;D

Seriously though,  when reading comments on this board I sometimes think of the message to Ephesus from the Apocalypse:

Quote:[1] Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write: These things saith he, who holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks: [2] I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them that are evil, and thou hast tried them, who say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars: [3] And thou hast patience, and hast endured for my name, and hast not fainted. [4] But I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first charity. [5] Be mindful therefore from whence thou art fallen: and do penance, and do the first works. Or else I come to thee, and will move thy candlestick out of its place, except thou do penance.

God sees that they keep true to the teachings and do not allow any evil inside.  However they are chastised for forgetting charity.
I think it's somewhat telling that Augustine Baker automatically assumes that references to insulting people refer to him.  :laughing:
(10-06-2010, 11:44 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote:

Telling you to grow up isn't being rude, it's being honest. I say this as a 20 year old with 20 year old friends who goes to college with other 20 year olds all of who act more maturely and civilly than some people on this forum. Yes, that includes you.

You're being rude, and now you're being dishonest.
I think it's a combination of passion and anonymity.
(10-06-2010, 11:47 AM)Augstine Baker Wrote:

Care to be a bit more specific?
(10-06-2010, 11:48 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote:
(10-06-2010, 11:47 AM)Augstine Baker Wrote:

Care to specify.

Telling someone to "grow up" implies that they are children.  Can't imagine how anyone would be insulted by that, and based on other conversations I've had with you, I assumed that you were making a passive-aggressive jab at me personally.

Like I said, I have no problem meeting you.  You can take that any way you want.