What causes people to be insulting on a Catholic forum?
Perhaps if what went on here didn't matter much, something like football or knitting.
The frequent trolling here on FE makes it difficult to want to keep posting.
(10-06-2010, 08:57 AM)timoose Wrote: This is just off the top of my head.

On the Fisheaters there are scandal merchants which deal in innuendo and insinuation. They post anything to get the fisheaters riled up. When it is pointed out that what they have posted is without substance, their greek chorus comes to the rescue and repeats in unison what ever scandal is being pushed. If any one disagrees they are liberals, neo-cons, less than Catholic, modernists, heretics, or you name it.

There also earnest people here that want to discuss issues, and yes some that have no training in the faith due to the last forty plus years.There also some here that put there conservatism/republicanism above their Catholicism, as if it were a philosophy or something.This makes for a combustible mix.

It came to head the other day when I got into it with another fisheater here. Quis had to intervene and send us to our corners. I have since drawn back my horns, and apologized. I also have a different perspective than most being a pre-Vatican II Catholic. I spent nearly forty years in the wilderness, away from the Church. Imagine my surprise to see half of what is Catholic in the NO, and the other half in the Trads.

This is coming to it's end, SSPX will take jurisdiction, I predict. This is causing a lot of stress, because it will change their roles from finger pointers to builders. Remember either you are part of the solution or you are the problem. The scandal merchants and the greek chorus whether they are conscious of it or not are here to maintain the split.

tim
:thumb:

What he said
(10-06-2010, 08:07 PM)SoCalLocal Wrote:
(10-06-2010, 08:57 AM)timoose Wrote: This is just off the top of my head.

On the Fisheaters there are scandal merchants which deal in innuendo and insinuation. They post anything to get the fisheaters riled up. When it is pointed out that what they have posted is without substance, their greek chorus comes to the rescue and repeats in unison what ever scandal is being pushed. If any one disagrees they are liberals, neo-cons, less than Catholic, modernists, heretics, or you name it.

There also earnest people here that want to discuss issues, and yes some that have no training in the faith due to the last forty plus years.There also some here that put there conservatism/republicanism above their Catholicism, as if it were a philosophy or something.This makes for a combustible mix.

It came to head the other day when I got into it with another fisheater here. Quis had to intervene and send us to our corners. I have since drawn back my horns, and apologized. I also have a different perspective than most being a pre-Vatican II Catholic. I spent nearly forty years in the wilderness, away from the Church. Imagine my surprise to see half of what is Catholic in the NO, and the other half in the Trads.

This is coming to it's end, SSPX will take jurisdiction, I predict. This is causing a lot of stress, because it will change their roles from finger pointers to builders. Remember either you are part of the solution or you are the problem. The scandal merchants and the greek chorus whether they are conscious of it or not are here to maintain the split.

tim
:thumb:

What he said

Birds of a feather and all that.
repercussions? That someones feelings are hurt, usually women. That someone gets angry, and not righteously so. And the worst of three, that someone spends an inordinate amount of time on the internet correcting whomever they are arguing with.

Herr- my son has Asperger's. His best friends has Asperger's. I am quite familiar what communicating with a person with Asperger's is like. I know exactly how he computes the world around him, I also know how his communication skills look and feel to anyone who doesn't understand, or want to understand what they are dealing with. Yes, my son can be rude by the standards of polite society. He sees it as telling the truth and what could be wrong with that? He is only starting to be able to moderate what he says out loud. and that all thoughts he has in his head do not need to be told to those around him. It was a victory this past year when he came to me to talk about a team he was on and said that so and so really isn't good at X but I know if I tell him that it will hurt his feelings so I told him instead that maybe he wants to work on Y.

I don't need you to lecture me about what Asperger's is and isn't.

"This is coming to it's end, SSPX will take jurisdiction, I predict. This is causing a lot of stress, because it will change their roles from finger pointers to builders. Remember either you are part of the solution or you are the problem."

tim

I hope you're right, Tim!

I used to let things slide but every friggin time I want to post something I think is interesting to put it out there just to see peeps thoughts the same few cadres show up and go all ad hominum (youll see itll happen here)..its not being thin skinned when constantly insulted by the same few trolls. Meanwhile a perfectly interesting topic goes to hell. I feel socioty has forced people to suppress their thoughts, and feminism has destroyed the male culture of talking politics and religion into...just talk about your nice football games deeries. You know how many time me and couple of male relatives or friends are at a family event...and we are just enjoying ourselves passionatly discussing the politics of the day...and in come the woman to break it up....well of course I try to keep going but the feminised ones put a lid on it....IMO
So what causes me to be insulting is being insulted (not just shined on messed with) but a deliberate insult meant to stifle a good discussion.
(10-06-2010, 08:11 PM)mom Wrote: repercussions? That someones feelings are hurt, usually women. That someone gets angry, and not righteously so. And the worst of three, that someone spends an inordinate amount of time on the internet correcting whomever they are arguing with.

Herr- my son has Asperger's. His best friends has Asperger's. I am quite familiar what communicating with a person with Asperger's is like. I know exactly how he computes the world around him, I also know how his communication skills look and feel to anyone who doesn't understand, or want to understand what they are dealing with. Yes, my son can be rude by the standards of polite society. He sees it as telling the truth and what could be wrong with that? He is only starting to be able to moderate what he says out loud. and that all thoughts he has in his head do not need to be told to those around him. It was a victory this past year when he came to me to talk about a team he was on and said that so and so really isn't good at X but I know if I tell him that it will hurt his feelings so I told him instead that maybe he wants to work on Y.

dear MOM I need to send you a PM ok...I have a question about my son who is an asbergers personality type!
(10-06-2010, 08:11 PM)mom Wrote: Herr- my son has Asperger's. His best friends has Asperger's. I am quite familiar what communicating with a person with Asperger's is like.
Yes, other people have it. That doesn't mean you understand it. In my experience, parents are the most caring and most stressed about their children with Asperger's, but they are also the ones who understand it the least.

Quote: I know exactly how he computes the world around him
That would be very unique if true.

Quote: He sees it as telling the truth and what could be wrong with that?
On the other hand, he sees it as lying in everyone else. So, if he has this sort of understanding, then he is going to be very unhappy with everyone lying to him.

Quote: He is only starting to be able to moderate what he says out loud. and that all thoughts he has in his head do not need to be told to those around him.
That is not a symptom of Asperger's.

Quote:I don't need you to lecture me about what Asperger's is and isn't.
No, you don't. However, this is a public Internet discussion and it shouldn't be a problem when people give their input.

I also don't need you lecturing me (I do not think you are...to me we are just discussing this).

I do not know how old (or young) your son is, so I don't know enough to write anything truly useful, except that knowledge of the patterns of a person is not a real understanding of that person.

(10-06-2010, 08:11 PM)mom Wrote: I am quite familiar what communicating with a person with Asperger's is like.

I am not sure if you know that I have Asperger's, but in case you don't, well, never mind. Now you do.

We are not all the same any more than people without Asperger's are all the same. Your understanding of your son and maybe another individual does not really give you enough experience to really understand Asperger's to a high degree any more than his experience with you is enough understand other people. You know him as your son and he knows you as his mother. Like you said, to other people, he seems very different. That is what is important. To you, he is your son and you know him. But that doesn't matter for communication skills. What matters is how complete strangers will see him and how he will interact with them.