What causes people to be insulting on a Catholic forum?
(10-10-2010, 02:49 PM)Ravenonthecross Wrote:
(10-10-2010, 12:32 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(10-10-2010, 07:24 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: ;D

but you are forgetting that I can use while as a noun.

So "a while" could have been "a time". . ."a bit" or "a peice"
While is a noun, and "a while" is a valid phrase, but it cannot be used as an adverb.

"So you may have to wait for a while." is correct. Don't toy with me, Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus, I looked it up before posting to make sure I was correct (it was a good thing too, as I wasn't sure about the difference).
Your "Grammar Crusades" are always quite amusing, Herr Mannelig.

It isn't my fault if people don't write well.

I seek only information.
(10-10-2010, 07:17 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(10-10-2010, 07:10 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: I know you're dying to see me make a mistake you can actually jump on...get in line...there are even some people with talent waiting to get me good....so you may have to wait a while.

Should be "awhile" not "a while". "awhile" is an adverb.

I know, that wasn't the sort of mistake you were referencing. I had to go to the end to  find a real mistake not excused by emulating speech patterns in writing (in terms of using literary English, there are mistakes). You even used the correct "you're".

What Scipio wrote was perfectly correct.
(10-10-2010, 04:41 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(10-10-2010, 07:17 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(10-10-2010, 07:10 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: I know you're dying to see me make a mistake you can actually jump on...get in line...there are even some people with talent waiting to get me good....so you may have to wait a while.

Should be "awhile" not "a while". "awhile" is an adverb.

I know, that wasn't the sort of mistake you were referencing. I had to go to the end to  find a real mistake not excused by emulating speech patterns in writing (in terms of using literary English, there are mistakes). You even used the correct "you're".

What Scipio wrote was perfectly correct.
albeit completely devoid of true wit
The three most passion arousing topics are anything involving the SSPX and
conspiracy theories in general and of course Islam.
It is hard to find a thread where these topics are the general focus where people
do not become personally insulting.
"The three most passion arousing topics are anything involving the SSPX and
conspiracy theories in general and of course Islam.
It is hard to find a thread where these topics are the general focus where people
do not become personally insulting."

What is really frightening is that 60% of these people have come to this thread either ignoring my point or making my point. This thread isn't about the SSPX, Islam or conspiracies, so that might put your theory off kilter a bit.

(10-11-2010, 04:59 PM)mistman Wrote: What is really frightening is that 60% of these people have come to this thread ... making my point.

Indeed.

To go back to the original question, it's human nature.  On a Catholic forum we hope for a stronger act of will to suppress that nature, but, eh, it's still the internet and still a forum.  The fact that the insults are a lot less worse than on non-Catholic forums is what we usually end up with.

yes we offer higher quality and more refined smack talk......ummmmmmm some of us ::) unless you get under thier skin
(10-11-2010, 05:51 PM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: yes we offer higher quality and more refined smack talk......ummmmmmm some of us ::) unless you get under thier skin
:idea: :shrug: :cheers:
This is another thing I've noticed too. My threads usually generate about 5 replies, but when there is one that "scores," there will be a sudden rush, then all of a sudden...nothing. Strange.
(12-04-2010, 07:40 AM)mistman Wrote: This is another thing I've noticed too. My threads usually generate about 5 replies, but when there is one that "scores," there will be a sudden rush, then all of a sudden...nothing. Strange.

Most threads are like that.