Doubts about Newman's Beatification
(10-06-2010, 11:56 AM)Augstine Baker Wrote:
(10-06-2010, 11:49 AM)Anastasia Wrote:
(10-06-2010, 11:28 AM)Augstine Baker Wrote:
(10-06-2010, 11:13 AM)Clare Wrote:
(10-06-2010, 11:09 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote: I couldn't continue reading the original article after TIA stated that Card. Newman's writings as a protestant, before his conversion, are reason enough to doubt his canonization.

Quite. St Augustine was a heretic once too.

Quote:As for the new Blessed being a homosexual it's odd that TIA would state in their letter that no credence should be given to these rumours yet, on the very same web page, provide links and letters attesting to Newman's supposed homosexuality.

Tabloid sensationalism.

Hardly tabloid speculation.  Newman was a very prickly pear back in his day, and extremely uncharitable to Cardinal Manning with the latter came to visit him personally and attempt to patch things up over their public disagreements.  +Newman had one of his minions say the Cardinal wasn't at home when +Manning came to call.... totally fruity behavior.

+Manning said +Newman was a heretic.  I trust +Manning.
Not wanting to speak to someone is "fruity"? Not that we can expect any better from TIA. It never seems to have occurred to anyone to ask, if he was so obviously homosexual, how did he manage to escape trial for sodomy? Victorian England wasn't exactly forgiving when it came to genuine homosexual behaviour. And Blessed Newman was put on trial for his Faith once already. If the British government had anything even remotely indicating that he was gay, they'd have run it for all it was worth.
If anyone is truly interested in a biography of Newman, you can read the excellent biography Michael Davies wrote. Or is Davies not sufficiently "trad" anymore?

As I said, his homosexuality is mostly irrelevant, although it might provide some insight into the errors he embraced, and never left off with after he became Catholic, as well as his behavior in the face of criticism of these.  Those who are interested in canonizing him are interested in canonizing his theology, which according to some very thoughtful of his contemporaries was suspect. 

All of your other comments are post hoc propter hoc ... you're assuming that because he was never arrested for the crime that he wasn't. He certainly did and said things that were odd and indicative of someone who suffers from that mental disturbance.   
No, when you have a government looking for anything and everything to prosecute him for (and the Brits certainly were), it makes no sense that they would have overlooked something that TIA says is so obvious. And we still haven't seen anything that's genuinely indicative of homosexuality.  Again, not choosing to see someone does not mean they're gay. I mean, really.
On the theology issue, you can find someone who disagreed with the theology of many great saints. St Thomas Aquinas was not universally admired in his own time.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Doubts about Newman's Beatification - by Anastasia - 10-06-2010, 12:02 PM